Here I am and right this minute, I’m feeling pretty darn good! LOL. Thanks to my friends the muscle relaxer and pain pills. ;o) Actually, I am feeling better. I know I have a few more weeks to go before I am going to be considered “ok” to go back to work, but right now, I’m pretty happy and optimistic!

Thank you to everyone for your prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. Emotionally and physically I have been drained. I felt like I was bearing a burden I didn’t know how to continue to bear. We are still waiting for answers to Grumpy’s health issues, but with me starting to feel better and more myself, I will be able to deal with his issues with him better than if I were in so much pain still.

I was so touched by so many messages I received and they all were greatly appreciated. Just yesterday afternoon, Grumpy came in the house and said to me, “Who do you know in the Netherlands?” LOL. I immediately knew I must have received a card from Marthe of Culinary Delights. Marthe is one awesome woman. She is so thoughtful and kind and someday will make some young man a very lucky man. Not only did Marthe send me a get well card, but she sends me one with the most adorable little kitten on it. This young girl, who lives so far away, seems to know what I like so well without even meeting me in person! Thank you Marthe!

I especially want to thank my son Justin for coming on here with his adorable post (and must I say it made me smile so big to see him say what he did!) to let you all know I made it through my surgery. I’m sure if I asked him or Kristina (or even Christopher for that matter!) to post something for me, they would have done it! Even if Justin would have had to post something “box made.” lol

I haven’t had much of an appetite. The surgery was done through my throat. I had to have a tube down my throat, and they also had to move my esophagus aside to get to my spine. It really is a scary procedure when you think about where they go through to get to what they need to do. BUT, I was in the most capable hands in Northern New York and he did an awesome job. I was actually only in the hospital one night. The hardest part has been the nausea from the anesthesia and the drugs. I’m not complaining about the weight I have lost from it! I do think that he should have considered a “chin lift” while he was at it though. hehe.

Right before I went into the hospital I received the Kraft Food & Family magazine. I had seen a recipe for skillet potatoes with cheese and bacon. I knew I would be making that dish as soon as I was up to it….and last night was the night. This is a very simple dish and of course, it is yummy….it has bacon! and cheese! How could it not be yummy? If your not a meat eater, you could substitute the Morning Star Farms Bacon Strips (which I think are just as yummy and better for you than the real thing).

Skillet Potatoes with Bacon & Cheese
adapted from Kraft Food & Family

5 medium sized red skinned potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
5 slices thick sliced bacon
1 medium onion
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste

Fry bacon until crisp, remove from pan and set aside. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat from pan. Add chopped onion and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add layers of sliced potato. Season to taste, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender. Approximately 20 minutes. Stir 2-3 times during cooking time. When done, turn off heat, sprinkle cheese over potatoes, then sprinkle bacon. Let sit for about 5 minutes then serve!

1. Michele March 29, 2009 at 11:57 pm - Reply

I’m sooooo happy to hear that you are home and well!! Take all the time you need to recover and take it slow. Hopefully you are mostly pain free very soon. You’ll feel like a brand new girl! 🙂

2. Linda March 29, 2009 at 11:59 pm - Reply

HI Hi HI!!!! It is so good to see you on here! You must be feeling better and to cook too! Wow! I am impressed! My mom asked today how you were doing. I will make sure I tell her I saw you on line.
    Now we need to channel those prayers over to Paul.
    I am so glad to hear you are doing well. Have a good week and take it very easy. Love you!

3. Lisa March 30, 2009 at 12:00 am - Reply

Oh, Honey, I am so glad you are on the mend! You will be feeling great before you know it. I hope everything gets worked out with grumpy’s health issues.

4. Maria March 30, 2009 at 12:09 am - Reply

I am so glad you are feeling better. I hope Grumpy’s health issues get solved soon too. Best wishes to you guys! Take it easy and know that we all love you!

5. cindy March 30, 2009 at 12:11 am - Reply

Glad you are feeling better! Sounds like the same surgery I had a few years ago. It worked and I have no pain, tingling, numbness etc. at all in my arms and hands. Thanks for all the great recipes you share. I started my food blog in part because of amazing ladies like you!
    Smiles..

6. Leslie March 30, 2009 at 12:18 am - Reply

So Glad to hear you are feeling at least a little better!! Pain pills are a Good thing! YAY!
    Your in my prayers!!!
    Leslie
    LeslieVeg@msn.com

7. The Food Librarian March 30, 2009 at 12:25 am - Reply

Yeah!!! So happy to hear you made it through and are on the mend! (I loved your son’s post too! What a great family you have!!!)

Take it easy and we are all thinking about you!!! – mary the food librarian

8. Donna-FFW March 30, 2009 at 12:29 am - Reply

Good news to hear you are on the mend. Take good care now, so many people have you in their thoughts.

9. Melissa March 30, 2009 at 12:52 am - Reply

It’s great you are feeling better!!! :)I could eat this kind of skillet any day for breakfast! 🙂

10. alskamom March 30, 2009 at 1:00 am - Reply

I'm so happy to hear that you are beginning to feel better, HoneyB!
    I'm a big fan of the Kraft Food & Family magazine too, and your Skillet Potatoes with Bacon & Cheese looks great!
    Take good care of yourself and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 🙂

11. Joie de vivre March 30, 2009 at 1:05 am - Reply

I am so glad to hear you are on the mend!

12. Katy March 30, 2009 at 1:08 am - Reply

So good to see you!

13. Patsyk March 30, 2009 at 1:13 am - Reply

So good to hear that you are recovering well! Take it easy and don’t overdo it!

love that dish, how could you go wrong with bacon and cheese? lol!

14. Reeni♥ March 30, 2009 at 1:24 am - Reply

It’s so good to see you cooking again! And blogging! I’m so happy that your feeling better, even if you need a little help from your ‘friends’. You’ll be 100% before you know it. I didn’t know Grumpy was having health issues, prayers and well wishes for you both.

15. Ingrid March 30, 2009 at 1:37 am - Reply

Yay, so happy to see you’re feeling better and enough to cook, too?!! Hopefully it will be the same for Grumpy.

I received that mag a week or so ago but I didn’t see those potatoes in there. They cheated me! Guess I’ll just print the recipe out from here.

Take care and don’t push yourself too hard….baby steps!
    ~ingrid

16. teresa March 30, 2009 at 1:50 am - Reply

Hey, welcome back! I hope that you continue to feel better everyday. And your skillet potatoes look great!

17. Di March 30, 2009 at 2:21 am - Reply

Good to see you posting again. I’m glad you’re starting to feel better. The potatoes look yummy! =)

18. Christy March 30, 2009 at 2:41 am - Reply

It’s so good to hear that you’re feeling better! You’ve been in our thoughts and prayers.

These potatoes look fabulous. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Take good care of yourself. 🙂

19. Bob March 30, 2009 at 2:42 am - Reply

Wicked glad you are feeling better! Nothing helps mend like home cooking. 😉

20. Laura March 30, 2009 at 3:45 am - Reply

Good to see you back again!

My mom recently had hip surgery and she said when you are in that much pain, the instant relief is just amazing no matter how awful the surgery. Sounds like it was similar for you.

The dish definitely looks like comfort food. Perfect.

21. Gabe's Girl March 30, 2009 at 4:05 am - Reply

Yay! I am so happy you are feeling better! You are a trooper, no doubt about it. You are amazing to cook so soon during recovery. Take care and get plenty of rest.

22. Megan March 30, 2009 at 4:10 am - Reply

Yay for feeling better! Interesting way to perform the procedure, but it does shorten the recovery time, doesn’t it?

Glad you’re back in action, feel better and keep the paid meds close by!

23. recipes2share March 30, 2009 at 5:18 am - Reply

It is so good to have you back again – We have missed you! Fiona X

24. JyLnC March 30, 2009 at 7:12 am - Reply

I’m glad you’re feeling better and this looks easy and delicious. I think I might try it with Canadian Bacon which is a little healthier than regular bacon.

25. tamilyn March 30, 2009 at 7:46 am - Reply

Glad to hear that it is better each day!

I too just saw that recipe and looked at the Dude and said it would have to make an appearance soon!

26. CookiePie March 30, 2009 at 9:52 am - Reply

I’m SO glad to hear that you’re on the mend! Thinking of you and wishing you all the best for a safe, speedy and full recovery.

27. Darius T. Williams March 30, 2009 at 11:38 am - Reply

Glad you’re feeling better…um, pass the potatoes PLEASE! WHEW! Those look divine.

28. Jo March 30, 2009 at 12:15 pm - Reply

I am so glad you are feeling better… please be easy with yourself, still! *hugs* and good thoughts to you 🙂

29. shellyfish March 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm - Reply

So so so happy to see you’re on the mend, but please don’t over do it! Take your time and heal fully!
    Sounds like it was kind of scary – you’re a real trooper!

30. Creative One March 30, 2009 at 1:58 pm - Reply

I am so happy that you are starting to feel better. Hope all Grumpy’s health issues get worked out. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Delicious looking dish!!! I am definitely going to make that soon.

31. Elyse March 30, 2009 at 2:24 pm - Reply

I am so thrilled to hear that you’re feeling better. I’ve been thinking about you lately and anticipating your welcome-back post. Keep up the recuperation!! Here’s hoping you helped yourself to a big ole serving of those wonderful skillet potatoes (maybe those were enough to bring back some semblance of an appetite?). Keep feeling better!!

32. Sabrina March 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Shelby! I have been so out of the blogging loop lately… And I didn’t even know you were having surgery.
    I hope your recovery is going well and that you are relaxing peacefully!
    Thinking of you!
    Take care!

33. Gera @ SweetsFoods March 30, 2009 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Shelby Very Happy to see you here!!! Take it with calm and hope a rapid full recovery :))

Btw, delicious skillet potatoes!!

Cheers for you!!

Gera

34. Pam March 30, 2009 at 3:33 pm - Reply

Justin is so sweet, I was glad to hear you are on the mend.

The skillet potatoes would be so delicious for breakfast right now – they look fantastic.

35. Bellini Valli March 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm - Reply

We are so happy to hear that you are feeling so much better and I am sure you will be able to tell when you need to rest. Your family was just so cute and we appreciated getting an update from Justin. We know you are in good hands:D

36. JMom March 30, 2009 at 3:53 pm - Reply

Welcome back! I’m glad to hear that all went well with the surgery and you’re already up and about. Imagine that, you’re already cooking! 🙂

BTW, Justin did a great job guest blogging for you!

Take it easy, don’t do too much too soon.

37. Kevin March 30, 2009 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Potatoes with bacon and cheese is such a great combo!

38. The Duo Dishes March 30, 2009 at 6:23 pm - Reply

That is a breakfast that will have you feeling good no matter what.

39. Lynda March 30, 2009 at 9:57 pm - Reply

So glad that you are feeling better!This dish looks yummy and comforting! Take care of yourself; don’t try to do too much.

40. Lynda March 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm - Reply

Glad that you are feeling better. Don’t try to do too much.
    This dish is comfort food at its best! Looks great!

41. averagebetty March 31, 2009 at 1:43 pm - Reply

We love you Honey B! Get well soon…

42. Tangled Noodle April 1, 2009 at 3:38 am - Reply

It’s wonderful to see you back but please be sure to take your time and recuperate fully. Of course, a comforting dish like this helps a lot.

43. Barbara Bakes April 1, 2009 at 4:56 am - Reply

I’m so glad that everything went well and that you are on the road to recovery! The potatoes look great!

44. Teanna April 1, 2009 at 3:08 pm - Reply

So glad you are doing alright!!!! It’s great to see you on here!

45. Ingrid April 2, 2009 at 12:41 am - Reply

Made these…..the boys LOVED them! Thanks for sharing the recipe, totally missed them in mag.

Hope you and Grumpy are doing well!
    ~ingrid

46. Kaitlin April 2, 2009 at 2:10 am - Reply

I saw this recipe as well (in Canada that magazine is called “what’s cooking”) and immediately ripped it out to include in my recipe binder.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

By the way, on my blog, there’s something for you. I know you’re recovering so please don’t feel obligated to pass it along! Just wanted you to know how much I enjoy reading your blog.

47. Cristine April 2, 2009 at 5:39 pm - Reply

Always, always, always thinking of you! Hope you are recovering quickly!!

48. J.Danger April 3, 2009 at 5:49 pm - Reply

those potatoes look sooooo good.

I am so glad that you are feeling better- happy healing!

49. WiseAcre April 8, 2009 at 11:01 am - Reply

It was good to come home and find you up and about already. Some of the surgery details I didn’t need to know. It almost puts me off from going to the kitchen and making those potatoes for breakfast. But the cold and snow is overcoming that first queasy reaction.

Glad you’re feeling better and back cooking and blogging.

50. Marthe April 8, 2009 at 9:35 pm - Reply

Awww, you’re so sweet to say such nice things about me: making me blush!

The potatoes look soooo good!