Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies are a soft cookie base with creamy eggnog flavored filling. They make a festive addition to your holiday cookie tray. Whether you are serving them at a party or giving them away as a gift! If you love eggnog, then you will want to make these cookies!
These tender, delicious bites of heaven are perfect for comforting your soul when it’s cold outside. Snuggle up in your favorite spot with a blanket some Eggnog Thumbprint cookies. Add a hot beverage and a good book for a relaxing afternoon!
A Christmas Cookie Family Tradition
Every family has its Christmas Cookie traditions. There are certain recipes made that were handed down from generations. I love to make Sugar Cookie Cutouts in the shape of snowflakes. They are one I have made for years, as well as Chewy Mocha Toffee Chip Cookies and Italian Christmas Cookies.
While I love trying new cookies out for the holidays, it can be overwhelming when making too many. I like to have a variety of cookies to put out for Christmas Eve. I normally will start in November and freeze the cookies I have made. That way, I can be sure to have that colorful tray of Christmas Cookies.
Making and Storing Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
Thumbprint Cookies are awesome. They all start with a base cookie, and the filling can be anything you want! I love these Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies, the bite of rum that comes through with the sprinkled nutmeg is absolutely delicious.
Freeze first, fill later or fill now and freeze. Either way works and depending on your situation, one may be better than the other.
Filled Thumbprint Cookies for any Holiday
Eggnog Thumbprint cookies are great for any holiday or event. No matter what the occasion, you can always make the base cookie and fill it with whatever you want to! Below are just a few ideas to make the holidays fun and festive!
Christmas: The Eggnog Thumbprint or a Peppermint flavor with candy sprinkles.
Thanksgiving: Pumpkin or Pecan Pie flavors.
Fall: Apple or pear filling
Patriotic Holidays: Vanilla or cheesecake flavor filling with chopped berry topping.
Easter: Coconut or Malted flavors, maybe some chopped robin eggs for color.
Valentine: Try Chocolate mint flavors, or sub Fireball Whisky subbed for the rum in these eggnog thumbprint cookies. Then, sprinkle with a little cinnamon or red hot cinnamon candies.
Spring: Fill with your favorite spring flavors, berries, jams, cheesecake.
Tips for making Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
- Be sure to chill the dough but not for more than an hour. Longer than that they dough will be hard to handle
- Use a piping bag instead of “spooning” the filling. It works wonderfully!
- Use spiced rum instead of rum extract to intensify that “authentic” eggnog flavor.
- Don’t be afraid to put a good thumbprint dent in that cookie!
- Be generous with the eggnog filling, double the filling recipe if you need to.
What you need to make Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Parchment Paper: I love parchment paper for less mess and non-stick reasons.
Large Baking Sheet: I like a sheet that will allow me to put at least 2 dozen cookies on it.
Rum or Rum Extract: If just adults will consume these cookies, opt for the rum. However, if you don't have it on hand or will be giving these to a family with children, go for the rum extract. Just add milk in place of the rum so your filling will be creamy.
Piping Bag: These make filling the cookies SO much easier and neater!
Fresh Nutmeg: There is nothing better than a sprinkle of freshly grated nutmeg.
Microplane: I use this Microplane to grate the whole nutmeg and sprinkle over top of the cookies. A Microplane has many great uses in the kitchen and I will never be without one!
More Thumbprint Cookie recipes you may like
For those living low carb and keto lifestyle, it doesn't mean you have to go without! Try Lemon Curd Thumbprints or Strawberry Rhubarb Thumbprint Cookies. Both are delicious! Make this eggnog version by making the dough of either recipe and sub the sugar-free sweetener in the filling! Easy peasy!
Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies are chocolate balls of dough rolled in chopped hazelnuts and filled with Nutella. Divine!
Red Velvet Thumbprint Cookies are gorgeous and festive and filled with a peppermint swirled kiss!
Lastly, these Coconut Lime Thumbprints are buttery and delicious with your choice of raspberry or lime filling!
Need more Christmas Cookie Ideas? Check out the 25 Best Christmas Cookies on Grumpy's Honeybunch!
*If you made these Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies, please leave a star rating*
More Thumbprint Cookie recipes you may like
Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies
- ¾ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon spiced rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl beat ¾ cup butter till softened. Add sugar and brown sugar and beat till fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla, and salt and beat well. Add flour and beat till well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 hour or till easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Press down centers with thumb. Bake 12 minutes or till done. Remove from oven and cool completely on wire racks.
- For the filling, in a small bowl beat ¼ cup butter till softened. Add powdered sugar and beat till fluffy. Add rum and beat well. Spoon about ½ teaspoon filling into the center of each cookie. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Chill till filling is firm.