For the holidays the Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club decided to do a cookie exchange! After I had already looked at several cookies online my new Cooking Light issue arrived in the mail and in it were these Hazelnut Thumbprints. I knew immediately I was going to try these. I mean, how could I not? There was nutella in the center! These cookies were awesome. They went to our holiday party at work and were definitely a favorite of one particular faculty member. His words were "if I can't stop eating these, then it is the best compliment you can receive - they are that good" as he ate the last cookie he stole from his spouse's plate! ;o)
Val: Orange Walnut Tassies
Aggie: Peppermint Patties
Helene: Maple Date Bars
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup Nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Place butter in large mixing bowl and beat with mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Whisk egg yolk and espresso to combine. Add yolk mixture to butter mixer and beat at low speed until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto pastry mate and knead about 6 times until smooth. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll sides of dough balls in chopped toasted hazelnuts, pressing gently to allow nuts to adhere to dough. Arrange on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Press thumb into center of each cookie leaving an indentation. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove cookies from pans and cool completely. Once cooled, spoon about ½ teaspoon of Nutella spread into center of cookie.
Argh! Chocolate hazelnut thumbprints! Argh! I want! They look fabulous and so chocolate-y great!
I missed these yummy looking cookies..the close up shot of them is making me drool! I think these would look wonderful on my cookie platter for Christmas!
Those thumbprints look amazing. And there is Nutella? Oh man, I need to crack open latest CL and check them out!
Beautiful, I happen to be going to a hazelnut farm today!!
Those are gorgeous Shelby!!
Oh Shelby - you have me drooling. They look absolutely delicious.
The chocolate in the middle looks amazing!
oh my goodness! These are outstanding! I love hazelnuts and chocolate together.
I'm baking some cookie bars right now. I'll have to try these next. 😛
Oh Shelby - those are gorgeous -- and you said the magic word: Nutella!!