These Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Glaze are a moist and delicious muffin recipe with a bit of jam baked in the center of the muffin. The lemon flavored sugar in the muffins gives them a wonderful fresh lemon flavor and they have a fine delicious crumb.
These breakfast muffins make a great on the go breakfast and also make a great portable snack or lunch item. These will last up to 3 days stored in an airtight container and up to 3 months in the freezer.
About The Jam Filling
What is great about these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins is you can fill them with any of your favorite jams, fillings, or curds. Some great filling ideas would be:
- Homemade Berry Rhubarb Jam
- Meyer Lemon Curd
- Homemade Strawberry Curd
- Almond Filling (this is my favorite)
What You Need To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
*Please refer to the recipe card for a complete list of ingredients and instructions*
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
- Rub the lemon zest into the sugar with your fingers for a more flavorful muffin. The aroma alone makes this worth doing!
- Skip the lemon glaze (if you must), and sprinkle some pearl sugar over the muffins, or use both!
- I do not recommend using jelly in place of jam. Jelly would likely dissolve into the muffin instead of remaining intact.
- Substitute full fat Greek Yogurt for the sour cream.
- For a tender muffin, don't over mix the muffin batter. Stir until the dry and wet ingredients are just combined.
More Muffin Recipes To Try
*If you made this recipe for Lemon Poppyseed Muffins, please give them a star rating*
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- ⅔ cup sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 6 tablespoons Jam
For the Icing
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of lemon is strong.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and gently stir to blend. Do not over stir!
- Fill the muffin tin half full with better. Place 1-½ teaspoons blueberry jam in center of each muffin cup.
- Divide the remaining batter evenly among the muffin cups over top of the jam.
- Bake 18-20 minutes. Transfer pan to a cooling rack. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pan. Cool completely, then glaze with icing.