These Cranberry Muffins are tender and delicious breakfast muffin that is filled with fresh chopped cranberries, a slight hint of orange, and chocolate chips. They are moist and sweet with that little pop of cranberry sour in every single bite.
Cranberry Muffins are ready in under 30 minutes and can be enjoyed warm straight from the oven. They can be drizzled with an optional orange glaze for that extra special touch. They can easily be reheated and are very portable. A perfect breakfast on the go, or afternoon snack.
What inspired me to make Cranberry Muffins
I first made these Cranberry Muffins in 2009. The year of my neck surgery. I had that surgery in March and was still recovering in November. The day I made these Cranberry Muffins was the day the neurosurgeon told me that I could "go on and live your life normally." To celebrate, I bought some fresh cranberries to make my favorite muffin recipe!
The minute I see fresh cranberries on the market shelf, my mind migrates towards making these muffins. These are the best Cranberry Muffins I have ever made and is my all-time go-to. I love how you get a sour bite of the tart cranberry within the sweet and perfectly crumbed muffin. Naturally, I make these in the fall when cranberries are in season because I love the fresh cranberry
What you need to make this recipe
Other than the basic baking ingredients, the items listed below are what I feel makes this recipe successful.
Fresh Cranberries: To get the best results, I highly recommend fresh cranberries. Frozen cranberries can be substituted in a pinch without much change in the texture.
Orange Zest: I love fresh orange zest, but you can substitute dried in place of it. While this is an optional ingredient, I love the combination of cranberry and orange with chocolate!
A good muffin pan: All you need is a basic 12 cup muffin pan. Nothing fancy required.
Cupcake wrappers: I love these non-stick cupcake liners. There is nothing worse than having our baked muffin (or cupcake for that matter) stick to the liner. I use these all the time!
Tips for making Cranberry Muffins
Making muffins can be tricky. Below are a few suggestions to help to make the best Cranberry Muffins ever!
- Be sure the butter is melted, but not hot.
- Similar to biscuits, you don't want to overwork the batter. Stir only just until the dry ingredients have combined into the muffin batter.
- Use a food chopper to chop the cranberries. This releases the liquid from them and will chop them into smaller pieces. My favorite food chopper is this one!
- Gently fold the cranberries and chocolate into the batter. Only a few motions should be needed to do so.
Make this recipe your way
The possibilities are endless with this recipe. Below are some variations that you may want to try also.
- Substitute lemon zest for orange.
- Make mini-sized muffins!
- Use white chocolate chips in place of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Substitute dried cranberries for the fresh.
- Stir in ½ cup of your favorite nuts. We love pecans and macadamias in this cranberry muffin!
- Fancy the muffin up a bit and make a glaze with ½ cup of confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon of orange juice (more juice to thin as desired) then drizzle the glaze over top of the hot muffin. The glaze will soak in a little and infuse with more orange flavor!
Other muffin recipes you may want to try
When I first started writing this blog, one of the things I was making ALL the time was muffins. Below are some of my very favorites that you may want to try also!
Almond Joy Muffins are sweet, moist, and delicious. With coconut milk in the batter, the crumb is extra tender and the coconut flavor comes through just enough but not overly strong.
Rhubarb Crumb Muffins make use of the best of the spring crop of rhubarb with a delicious sweet crumb topping.
These Banana Walnut Muffins with Maple Icing make great use of overripe bananas!
My favorite Keto Muffin Recipes
Since Rhubarb is a staple in our home, I had to make a muffin that was keto-friendly. These Keto Rhubarb Muffins with Crumb Topping hit the spot!
Because Grumpy's favorite fruit is the raspberry, I made these Keto Raspberry Muffins to please his palate!
*If you made these Cranberry Muffins with Chocolate and Orange, please leave a star rating*
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and grated orange rind (if using).
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Stir in the cranberries and chocolate chips.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the almond milk, butter, vanilla extract, and egg. Add the egg mixture into the flour mixture, stirring just until the flour has been incorporated.
- Scoop the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from pan immediately and place on a wire rack. Store muffins at room temperature for 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.