Healthy, delicious, and nutritious! This Beef Lo Mein is weight watcher friendly, full of flavor, and very fast to put on the dinner table!
For the first time in, I can't tell you how long (if ever!) I gave Grumpy a suggestion for dinner the day before and he actually said yes the first time! Hmm, what was it I did right? Well, I'm thinking it is because it was a beef dish.
Looking through the Weight Watcher's Take-out Tonight cookbook I see a lot of things I would like to try. I happened to have all the ingredients at the house for this dish, so after getting the go ahead from Grumpy, I made sure to be ready! This is a really flavorful dish. The best part? It's filling AND it's only 6 points per serving (1 cup!)
- Beef Lo Mein
- WW Take-out Tonight, pg 52
- ½ lb fresh lo mein noodles or spaghetti
- ¾ cup low-sodium beef broth
- ¼ cup sake or rice wine (an online search said you could substitute dry sherry for the sake - which I did)
- ¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1-½ Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- ¾ lb beef top round, trimmed of all visible fat, cut into thin strips
- ½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cook the noodles or spaghetti according to package directions; drain and set aside. Combine the broth, sake or rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. set aside. (NOTE: Do not confuse rice wine with rice wine vinegar. It is not the same).
- Heat a nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles. Swirl in 2 teaspoons of the canola oil, then add the beef. Stir-fry until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes; transfer to a plate. Swirl in the remaining 1 teaspoon canola oil, then add the mushrooms, scallions, and garlic. Stir-fry until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the broth mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, about 2 minutes Stir in the beef and noodles. Cook, tossing frequently, until heated through, about 1 minute