Harissa Marinated Steak and Shrimp Salad made with grilled vegetables and a fresh cilantro lime dressing makes a perfect weeknight dinner salad!
I love summer weather, and I really love being able to grill outdoors! As soon as I am able to be outside and not freeze to death, I am out there grilling. It makes weeknight meals super easy because usually when I grill, I have just a salad to go with it, or sometimes I just grill corn alongside my protein and call it dinner!
I found a Harissa Paste at my most recent Trader Joe's shopping trip and decided to put it in my cart. I had seen it on tv shows (Food Network!) and heard a few others talk about it, but had never attempted to make it on my own. So, when I saw the paste in a jar, there was no way I wasn't buying it to try!
Of course, I still have some of the #BestBeef in my freezer from my Instagram win with Certified Angus Beef ® so, when warm weather hit this last weekend, the steaks came out and the grill was turned on! By the way, I have to give Certified Angus Beef ® full credit for being my inspiration in learning how to cook beef perfectly! I have gained a lot of experience with all those steaks I received from the contest and I seem to always get them cooked perfectly for us. Internal temp of 125-130 before pulling off the grill, then letting it rest for 15 minutes before slicing. The hardest part is waiting those 15 minutes!
When thinking about making this salad, I decided that a "surf and turf" type salad was going to be perfect for a filling dinner for Grumpy and me. However, the steak is definitely the star of the show in this recipe. The shrimp was just an added plus.
Now, about the Harissa Paste. It is basically a chili paste and it's quite spicy. If you can't find it in the store, you can always make it yourself. Before I used it, I naturally tasted it. I warn you to be cautious if you're heat sensitive! It's very spicy. However, I wanted to see if I needed to add anything to it before putting it on the steak and shrimp. I decided a little brown sugar and some olive oil mixed into it would be good enough! The mixture turned out to have just enough sweetness added to make it not too hot and you could taste the sweet heat in every bite! The perfect way to #BeefUpYourSalad!
Marinated Steak and Shrimp Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the Grill:
- 1 lb Sirloin Beef Steaks
- 1 lb shrimp thawed, peeled and de-veined and threaded on skewers for grilling
- 4 tablespoon Harissa Paste
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 4 ears corn on the cob
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for the vegetables
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 avocado sliced
- 6 cups mixed lettuce greens
- Pre-heat grill until hot.
- Make the salad dressing by whisking together lime juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, sugar, salt, coriander, and fresh cilantro.
- Mix Harissa paste, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon olive oil together. Baste steaks and shrimp skewers with Harissa mixture. Set aside until ready to grill.
- On a large platter, drizzle olive oil over top of tomatoes, corn on the cob and sliced onion. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Place on grill and cook for 10-15 minutes over medium heat, until vegetables have a slight char. Tomatoes may need to be removed sooner. Remove tomatoes when the skin starts to burst. Remove all vegetables and set aside.
- Place steak and shrimp on hot grill. Shrimp will take only 2-3 minutes (about 1-½ minute each side). Shrimp is ready when it is pink, and no longer opaque. Cook steak according to desired doneness. Remove from heat and set aside to rest.
- To prep salad, dice tomatoes and cut the corn from the cob. Dice avocado into bite sized pieces. assemble salad in layers, side by side, over top of the lettuce. Serve with 1-½ tablespoons dressing.
This post contains affiliate links for products I recommend and use in my home.