These Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff are simply seasoned beef hamburgers that are smothered in a flavorful mushroom gravy made with beef broth and red wine. It is a skillet recipe ready to put on the table in less than 30 minutes. This paleo/keto-friendly recipe is from my One-Pot Paleo Cookbook available for pre-order now!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The One-Pot Paleo Cookbook
This recipe for Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff is one of our favorite meals. It is also one of the recipes in my new cookbook, the One-Pot Paleo Cookbook. This cookbook provides you with 100+ Effortless Meals for your Slow Cooker, Skillet, Sheet Pan, and more. It is available on Amazon for pre-order right now and will be released on April 14, 2020.
Paleo and Keto are really quite close when it comes to nutrition. The cookbook explains this in detail, and all recipes in this One-Pot Paleo Cookbook have nutrition information and macronutrients listed. This makes it easy for the reader to adhere to the needs of their own diet, whether it be Keto or Paleo.
Comfort Food in a Skillet
Grumpy and I love our comfort food and hamburger steak and gravy is one of them. We tend to gravitate to comfort food when times that are tough and frugality is a necessity. I love that this Hamburger Steak Stroganoff recipe is simple to make, with few ingredients, that you likely have in your home already.
These Hamburger Steaks are a take on the Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy recipe that we love so much. It is made with ground beef that is simply seasoned with salt, pepper, and coconut aminos. The hamburger patties are juicy inside with a nice sear on the outside.
What you need to make Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff
Ground Beef: Organic is preferred, but what you can afford is fine. While Paleo recommends organic food, it is not always affordable for some. So go with what you can afford.
Beef Broth: organic is preferred, but the same as beef, go with what you can afford.
Dry Red Wine
Arrowroot Powder: This is a paleo-approved thickening agent that works similar to cornstarch.
Mushrooms: I have used all different types of mushrooms. Any will work. I buy them whole, clean them, then cut them in half or quarter them depending on their size.
Coconut Aminos: I absolutely LOVE this product. Coconut Aminos stand in place of soy sauce. Soy sauce is not Paleo approved due to its origin (made from soybeans).
Tips for a delicious Paleo One-Pot Skillet meal
- Handle the hamburger meat as little as possible. When mixing the seasoning into the burger, do so until just combined. Overworking can toughen the beef patties.
- Test the internal temperature of the hamburger steaks before removing it from the skillet. The internal temperature should be 160 degrees.
- The gravy ingredients can be doubled if you prefer to have a saucier hamburger steak.
- Arrowroot powder can overcome a dish and if you use too much it can thicken too much. If this happens to you, thin the sauce with some extra beef broth.
- These Hamburger Steaks are simply seasoned ground beef. Many people add breadcrumbs to their beef thinking it is necessary to bind the meat. This is not the case. All you need to do is season, shape into patties and cook!
Make this recipe your own
- Substitute 1 cup sliced green bell pepper for the mushrooms
- Extra Virgin Olive oil can be used in place of ghee.
- Beef broth can be increased to ½ cup and wine can be removed.
- If you are not Paleo, cornstarch can be substituted for arrowroot powder, soy sauce can be substituted for coconut aminos, and butter can be substituted for the ghee.
What to serve with this recipe
Paleo peeps can use ghee instead of butter in all recipes listed below that call for butter.
Our favorite recipe to serve with these Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff is Garlic Mashed Cauliflower. The combination is so delicious, it makes my mouth water as I type!
*If you made this recipe for Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff, please give it a star rating*
Hamburger Steaks Stroganoff
- In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, coconut aminos, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Divide the meat mixture into 4 portions, shaping each into a patty.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 ½ teaspoons ghee. Add the beef patties and cook for 3 minutes per side. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1 ½ teaspoons ghee in the skillet. Stir in the mushrooms and onions. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix together the beef broth, wine, and arrowroot powder. Stir into the mushroom mixture and cook until the broth has begun to thicken.
- Move the onion mushroom mixture to the side and return the beef patties to the skillet. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 5 minutes, or until beef is cooked through.
- Use cornstarch in place of arrowroot (1:1)
- Use Soy Sauce in place of coconut aminos (1:1)
- Use butter in place of ghee (1:1)