Pumpkin Biscotti is made with pumpkin puree, flavored with pumpkin pie spices and drizzled with an optional vanilla icing or white chocolate. It is a delicious, easy to make, pumpkin recipe to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
Full of pumpkin flavor, these Pumpkin Biscotti bring a feeling of fall comfort and warmth. Enjoy them plain, or, if your feeling a little fancy drizzled with a little bit of vanilla icing on top! These biscotti make a great treat to enjoy while reading a book or just relaxing with your friends!
Why I make Pumpkin Biscotti every fall
I love pumpkin. It is one of my favorite fall squash to bake with. Every fall, I get the craving to enjoy a crisp biscotti with warming pumpkin pie spice. I love cool fall days and baking Pumpkin Biscotti!
Most people get the fall food cravings as summer get closer to an end, myself included! I'm ready to beat the heat and cool down. Something about breathing in the cooler air makes me start thinking along the lines of pumpkin pie spices and baking. Pumpkin Biscotti is a favorite pumpkin spice fall recipes to make, along with Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls!
A Biscotti that is soft and crispy at the same time
This Pumpkin Biscotti recipe is not super crunchy. While it is a twice baked cookie, it still is not typical of a regular biscotti. Because this biscotti is made with pumpkin puree, it will tend to stay a little on softer side. The moisture from the pumpkin is what causes the cookie to be less crisp.
If you love biscotti that is more traditional, then this pumpkin biscotti is probably not it. My grandaughter described the cookie as chewy. I would say she was correct, however not in the chewy sense that you have a super soft cookie. I think maybe in the sense that it wasn't crunchy like she expected it to be.
What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?
Pumpkin Pie Spice is an all in one seasoning that brings together the flavors of fall. It a blend of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. These are spices that are considered to be warming and are used in recipes that normally have pumpkin as an ingredient.
You can buy Pumpkin Pie Spice as a blend or you can make your own. I like to buy the spice blend. But, you can make your own! This recipe for Pumpkin Pie Spice blend is a good one to use.
How to make Pumpkin Biscotti
This pumpkin recipe is super easy to make and takes very little time to put together. Waiting for them to cool completely is the hardest part! There is no added fat other than the eggs, and this calculates to 1 gram of fat per cookie!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while you are mixing together your ingredients. Sift the flour and seasonings into a large bowl. The pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract are blended together and then added to the dry ingredients.
Stir the dough until it just comes together. Then roll the dough out onto a clean surface and knead it until lightly it all comes together.
Next, Divide the dough in half and shape into logs. I do this right on my baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the logs are firm to touch.
Remove the pumpkin biscotti from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Once cool, use a serrated knife and slice the logs into 1" thick slices.
Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes. If your biscotti feels too soft to the touch, bake a little longer.
Tips for a successful Pumpkin Biscotti recipe
It is important to remember that Pumpkin Biscotti is not your typical biscotti recipe. I don't care what anyone tells you. These biscotti will soften. Believe me, I have tried to make these as hard and crunchy as your regular biscotti recipes. It just will not happen. However, it does not mean they are not delicious!
A few other things to keep in mind while making this recipe are listed below.
- If the dough is sticky, use a little extra flour dusted on your hands, or lightly sprinkled over the dough.
- Pat and shape the biscotti logs with your hands and do this on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Be sure to let the pumpkin biscotti cool at least 15 minutes after the first baking before you start to cut. This prevents burning your fingers and stops the biscotti from falling apart by cutting them when they are too hot.
- Use a sawing motion with a serrated knife to easily cut the biscotti.
- Allow pumpkin biscotti to sit on cooling rack for several hours before decorating or storing. This will allow the biscotti to dry out a little more.
Favorite Pumpkin Spice Fall Recipes you may like
Pumpkin spice is a flavor that I think will never go out of style! It seems to be something that exploded over the last 10 years. That may be because of the internet and the readily available recipes out there that use this fall flavor. Below are some of my favorite pumpkin spice recipes that I love to make every fall! What is your favorite pumpkin spice fall recipe?
- Pumpkin Spice Cake Roll
- Pumpkin Spice Popovers
- Chocolate Pumpkin Tiramisu
- Pumpkin Spice Caramel Corn Snack Mix
- Pumpkin Spice Waffles with Pumpkin Praline Syrup
- Caramel Frosted Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Fudge
- Pumpkin Spiced Steel Oats
Variations to this recipe
The original recipe was written and posted in October 2008. Since then, I have made this recipe several times with different variations to the recipe.
- Drizzle with a homemade cream cheese frosting or melted white chocolate
- Sprinkle the top of biscotti with cinnamon sugar before baking.
- Sprinkle frosted biscotti with fall colored sugars
*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, ½ cup pumpkin puree, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the dry ingredient mixture and pour the wet ingredients in the well. Stir until just combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to bring it all together.
- Divide dough in half and pat into a log shape, about 15x7 inches. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and dough is firm in the center
- Remove pumpkin biscotti from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice into 1" thick slices and lay the slice on the cut side.
- Return biscotti to oven and bake another 15 minutes, turning once.
- Cool completely on wire racks. If desired, drizzle with your favorite vanilla icing or chocolate.