Lazy weekends sometimes tend to inspire me. We definitely had a lazy weekend this last weekend. It was cold outside and who wants to go out in that? So, since I had a 3 day weekend and Grumpy was going to only be home with me 2 of those days, I decided to be that 4 letter word....that isn't so dirty after all. L-A-Z-Y. Grumpy was too....if not more so than me!
In between the TV and computer I would go into the kitchen. I went out for a bowl of Heart to Heart Cereal and an orange, then later a rice pudding cup (yes, store bought). Later in the day Grumpy got up and went out to make himself a hot beef sandwich with the leftover roast and gravy. Following him to the kitchen, I took notice of the two bananas that were too ripe to eat as is. I started thinking about bread and coconut and maraschino cherries and pecans. The next hour, my home started to smell amazingly delicious!
It was an agonizing half hour after I took it the bread out of the oven and set it to cool on the counter. Waiting to cut into this bread seemed like forever. Finally, after about 30 minutes I decided I could take it no longer. I sliced off two slices, put a little smart balance butter on top and headed back to my room where I continued to watch my sci-fi movie and got all cozy under covers and savored every bite of that bread.
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ½ cups White Whole Wheat Flour
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- Mix together flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and chopped pecans.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas well. Add eggs, one at a time, and whisk until mixed well. Add sugar and extract. Beat well. Stir in cherries.
- Add flour mixture, and stir just to combine. Spoon into greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes, and remove from pan. Cool.16 servings