This Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a simple way to enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches with optimal crisp and gooey cheese! This simple recipe will toast the buttered bread until golden brown and provide the melty cheese center that everyone loves so much.
Next time you're looking for an easy meal, skip the frying pan and the classic way of making a grilled cheese sandwich and use the air fryer instead! It is the perfect grilled cheese recipe for lunch or snacking
❤️ Why you'll love it
✔️ Fans of air fryer recipes will love this simple method for the best grilled cheese sandwiches.
✔️ This is a great recipe for a simple sandwich that even kids can make on their own.
✔️ It is the classic sandwich taken to a whole new level of melty goodness!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sturdy white bread, I love to use a good firm sourdough bread but a french bread will work well also.
Salted butter, I prefer salted butter vs unsalted butter for a grilled sandwich due to the saltiness it adds.
- Liberally spread one side of two slices of bread with butter.
- Lay one slice of bread butter side down on the air fryer basket or tray. Place a slice of cheddar cheese and a slice of provolone cheese on top of the bread and cover with the second slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place the basket or tray in the air fryer and airfry at 370 degrees F for 3 minutes. Flip sandwich and air fry another 3 minutes at 400 degrees, or until both sides of the bread are golden brown.
- Use a variety of cheeses that match your own personal preference.
- Substitute full fat mayonnaise for the butter spread.
- Use any of our favorite cheese, but be sure to choose a good melting cheese.
- Always start at a lower temperature to aid in melting the cheese, then turning the temperature up after flipping to aid in browning the bread.
- Use thicker slices bread for a sturdier sandwich.
📚 Related Recipes
A delicious combination of sweet, savory, spicy, and salty! Everyone loves this Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Bacon, Jalapeno & Rhubarb Sauce.
Super easy and delicious, Air Fryer Egg Rolls takes greasy frying out of the picture.
The perfect way to cook pork: Air Fryer Pork Chops.
🍽 Serve with...
Serve these yummy gooey melted cheese sandwiches with a side of tomato soup or a side of crispy potato chipe
🏫 The last word
I feel the best air fryer to use is one with trays over one with a basket as you can make more sandwiches at a time with the larger air fryer.
Add as much cheese as you wish, but remember that too much cheese may melt outside of the bread slices. Some like to shred the cheese instead of using slices. My preference is to use sliced in the air fry recipe. When cooking on the stove top I prefer shredded as it melts easier. The air fryer tends to melt the cheese perfectly, whether sliced of shredded.
Some air fryers require preheating. The one I own does not. Check your user manual for the air fryer you own for preheating recommendations.
The air fryer works perfectly for making a grilled cheese sandwich as the hot air circulates around the sandwich, causing the cheese to melt evenly and the buttery bread to crisp to perfection.
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Liberally spread one side of two slices of bread with butter.Lay one slice of bread butter side down on the air fryer basket or tray.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese and a slice of provolone cheese on top of the bread and cover with the second slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place the basket or tray in the air fryer and air fry at 370 degrees F for 3 minutes.
- Flip sandwich using a turner and air fry another 3 minutes at 400 degrees, or until both sides of the bread are golden brown.