Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake is a homemade vanilla cake baked with a strawberry rhubarb sauce poured over the top before baking. The sauce sinks to the bottom, forming a pudding layer beneath the cake.
This post has been published in partnership with CK Mondavi and Family as a Brand Ambassador.
This gorgeous and delicious cake recipe is perfect for special spring and summer events. Great for birthdays, mother's day, showers, or just because we need dessert days!
A very different kind of Mother's Day
The year 2020 has brought us some very different times than we are used to. Celebrating birthdays and holidays this spring is not the same as it has been in years past. We have been Isolating ourselves due to the virus. And, that has changed the way we get together this year as we are social distancing and isolating.
We are using Facetime, WhatsApp, and roadside visits to communicate. Social distancing has become the norm for communication and seeing one another. When it comes to Mother's Day this year, that is the way we will be celebrating with our Moms and children.
As soon as we can get together with our families, this Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake is one of the ways I plan to celebrate with them.
Strawberries, rhubarb, and Rose Moscato
Rhubarb recipes are quite popular in the springtime. This is the time of year when the rhubarb plant starts to produce gorgeous pink to reddish stalks. Because of this, I love to make rhubarb recipes for special occasions, such as Mother's Day!
Give mom the ultimate gift on Mother's Day this year. Bake this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake and leave it at Mom's door (while social distancing). And, include a bottle of CK Mondavi and Family limited edition (2020) spritzed Rose Moscato.
The spritzed Rose Moscato is fruity, refreshing, and not too sweet. The color of the wine bottle label changes to a blush pink color when it's properly chilled to 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is a gift for mom that she will appreciate! Especially since we are all in isolation mode right now! What better time to enjoy some great wine and pudding cake than when your right at home!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
What you need to make this Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Fresh Rhubarb: frozen will work if fresh is not available
Fresh Strawberries: frozen will work if fresh is not available.
Some cool facts about this recipe
Like the Spritzed Rose Moscato, this Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake also does something pretty cool!
When the pudding cake is assembled, the strawberry rhubarb sauce is poured over the cake batter before baking. As it bakes, the strawberry rhubarb sauce sinks to the bottom while the cake bakes on the top.
This cake can be enjoyed warm, with the pudding on the bottom. Or, let it get cold and flip the bottom over to the top when cutting the serving portions. It's also great with a dollop of whipped cream on top!
Make this recipe your way
- Substitute orange juice for the water in the rhubarb sauce mixture.
- Add a tablespoon of lemon juice to the rhubarb sauce to give it a citrus contrast
- Use ½ teaspoon of orange extract in place of vanilla
- Substitute a 3-ounce package of strawberry jello for the ¾ cup of sugar in the sauce.
- Top the cake with cool whip and sprinkle with chocolate chips before serving.
More rhubarb recipes you may love!
Other recipes or pairings with CK Mondavi and Family Spritzed Rose Moscato
*If you made this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake, please give it a star rating*
Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Pudding Cake
- 2 cup diced rhubarb
- 2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar divided
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk
- [mv_schema_meta name="preheat oven and make sauce"]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, strawberries, and ¾ cup of sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, or until fruit is tender. [mv_img id="25248"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="mix cake"]In a small mixing bowl, cream the butter, and the remaining ½ cup of sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the milk. Beat until just combined. [mv_img id="25244"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="pour cake batter"]Pour into a 9-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Pour the rhubarb sauce over the cake batter. [mv_img id="25246"]
- [mv_schema_meta name="bake and serve"]Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. [mv_img id="25247"]