Smothered Porkchops
Smothered Pork Chops are seasoned chops buried in a flavorful onion gravy served over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes, this is pure comfort food in the middle of the week that doesn’t take too long to throw together!
Smothered Pork Chops

Traditionally, from what I have read on the web, Smothered Pork Chops are served over rice but because Grumpy loves mashed potatoes, that is what I made. I also used a thicker cut boneless pork chop, next time, I would likely go with a bone in thinner cut so if you do make this recipe, I do recommend that is what you do. The thicker cut chops, in my opinion and after this experience, would probably be better for a stuffed chop, rather than a smothered one.
Smothered Pork Chops
Sometimes after a hard day at work, I want comfort without a lot of work. I admit, I’m one of those people who after cooking dinner, I totally do not feel like doing anything else after I eat. This dish has minimal clean up and tons of flavor. A win-win situation!

I think my most favorite part of this meal was the gravy. It was super flavorful!  I could have eaten a plateful of potatoes smothered with the gravy alone! That is how much I loved this meal! If you’re in need of some comfort with awesome flavor, be sure to try this recipe out. I know I will be making it again!
For more #WeekdaySupper inspiration, visit the other bloggers who are creating recipes this week!

Monday – Filet Mignon with Balsamic Pan Sauce by Cooking Chat
Tuesday – Yakitori Donburi by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Wednesday – Smothered Pork Chops by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
Thursday – Lemon Pepper Chicken & Pasta by Momma’s Meals
Friday – Bessara (Moroccan Bean Soup) by Eating In Instead

Pin this recipe for Smothered Pork Chops, then print from the recipe card below!

Smothered Porkchops

Print this recipe!

Smothered Pork Chops

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Serving Size: 1 steak with gravy

Calories per serving: 382

Fat per serving: 29

Smothered Pork Chops

Smothered Pork Chops are seasoned chops buried in a flavorful onion gravy served over a bed of rice or mashed potatoes, this is pure comfort food in the middle of the week that doesn't take too long to throw together!

Ingredients

• 4 large pork loin steaks
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 1/4 cup water

Instructions

1. Mix together salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons flour. Coat pork chop with flour mixture on both sides. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place pork steaks in hot skillet and brown well on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Melt butter in same skillet that pork was browned in. Reduce heat to medium and add onion slices with salt to taste. Cook until onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.
  3. Pour chicken broth into skillet, stirring constantly, dissolving browned bits of food in skillet. Pour juices that accumulated on plate with pork chops into the sauce. Mix in half and half until smooth. Add water. Bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes.
  4. Place pork into sauce and spoon sauce over meat to coat. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer until chops are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with gravy on top.

Notes

Calories: 382, Fat: 29g, Carb: 6g, Net Carbs 5g, Fiber: 1g, Protein: 20g. Nutrition information calculated using myfitnesspal is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes

1. David @ Cooking Chat December 31, 2014 at 12:13 pm - Reply

Looks great! Love a tasty pork chop recipe. Just added the link over to your recipe from my blog.

2. Erica S (EricasRecipes.com) December 31, 2014 at 3:26 pm - Reply

love pork chops like this! what a fabulous recipe to make my family happy even on a weeknight!

3. Ethel @eatingininstead December 31, 2014 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Yum! I can't wait to give this one a try!

4. Tammi @ Momma's Meals December 31, 2014 at 7:22 pm - Reply

I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm always looking to switch up pork chops for some reason. Happy New Year!

5. Michele @ Flavor Mosaic December 31, 2014 at 11:16 pm - Reply

These pork chops look amazing!

6. Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] January 1, 2015 at 12:26 am - Reply

Oooohhweeee! These look just downright delicious! I haven't made pork chops in years, but I sure love to eat them – this recipe makes me want to run out and buy some!

7. Mary Ellen January 1, 2015 at 2:52 am - Reply

These pork chops look so good! Looks like a perfect weeknight meal!

8. Carrie R January 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm - Reply

This looks so good! The perfect comfort food in my book. 🙂

9. Rachael Yerkes January 1, 2015 at 7:59 pm - Reply

I think serving with mashed potatoes was a good call. This looks fantastic!

10. Renee January 2, 2015 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Comfort food at its finest!! Bring on the pork chops!

11. consultpro January 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm - Reply

Love the rustic look of these trays!

12. Arisuchan January 7, 2015 at 10:38 pm - Reply

these look so tasty!!!! 🙂

13. Anonymous May 11, 2015 at 11:44 pm - Reply

Just made these , but added fresh Motel mushrooms and white wine!Fabulous! My son even gave me a high-five!

14. […] Tuesday – Yakitori Donburi by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen Wednesday – Smothered Pork Chops by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch Thursday – Lemon Pepper Chicken & […]

15. Jennifer lares December 1, 2015 at 11:28 am - Reply

Made these and they were delicious! Husband said they were better than the meal we had the night before at Texas Road house…thanks for sharing the recipe. I have one question, I see where you put 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and 1 1/2 tablespoons of all purpose flour but only see once where it says to use the flour. Do I need 3 1/2 tablespoons of flour?

• Shelby December 1, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

Hi Jennifer, First of all I apologize the instructions were not clear enough. I updated the first instruction to be sure its clear. You do need all the flour listed. The first 2 tablespoons go into a coating for the pork chops. The last 1-1/2 tablespoon is for thickening the gravy. So happy your hubby said they were better than his meal at Texas Roadhouse! 🙂

16. Bernie S. June 10, 2016 at 6:02 pm - Reply

Made these smothered porkchops for the first time. Boy did they come out great. I followed the recipe exactly but added some sliced button mushrooms. The whole family enjoyed it, even my 3-year old! I’m going to add this to my list of favorites. Thanks for sharing the recipe with me.

• Shelby June 10, 2016 at 7:01 pm - Reply

Bernie, I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe and that you came back to let me know! Thank you so much!

17. Sue September 24, 2016 at 6:25 pm - Reply

Prepared this ahead of time and then put everything in the oven low and slow. It turned out marvelous! The chops were soooooo tender and moist and gravy was very tasty. Thanks for sharing.

• Shelby September 24, 2016 at 6:26 pm - Reply

Thank you for letting me know you tried the recipe Sue! Glad it turned out so well for you!

18. Jenny Brown February 11, 2017 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Delicious! I used beef broth because I did not have chicken and it was very savory! ❤

• Shelby February 11, 2017 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Thanks for letting me know Jenny! So glad you enjoyed this!

19. […] pork chops you want to put in your mouth. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Grumpy’s Honeybunch. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday […]

20. […] Smothered Pork Chops are comfort food at it’s […]