When I walked into Trader Joe's last week I saw they were sampling out zucchini that had been breaded with cashew meal. I had been thinking about doing this for quite some time now except I was thinking pecan meal. I tried the sample and the flavor was amazing so I grabbed a bag of cashew meal and headed on my way. We had Cashew Breaded Baked Zucchini Chips, a low carb, gluten free side dish with our sauteed cod that very night!
It has gotten to the point that Grumpy will still quiz me on what I am doing in the kitchen, but I don't get as much resistance as I used to. I casually told him I was battering the zucchini with cashew meal and baking it when he asked and it kind of just went without comment. I guess it wasn't odd enough for him to think he wouldn't like it!
Cashew Breaded Zucchini Chips
- ⅔ cup cashew meal
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 small zucchini sliced into thin chips
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking pan by lining with non stick foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg and water in medium sized bowl. Set aside. Stir together cashew meal, salt, and garlic powder in another medium sized bowl. Dip chips in egg wash, then coat both sides with cashew meal. Place each chip in a single layer on foil lined sheet.
- When finished battering all chips, spray top of chips with foil then place in oven to bake.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until bottom of chip has browned. Carefully flip the chip over and brown the opposite side, 7 more minutes. Serve hot.