Not too long ago a reader sent me an email requesting I post some side dishes. Shortly after that, Jill of Simple Daily Recipes put out a message that she would be willing to guest post. Who better to ask to do a side for me! Jill has an awesome site with a lot of recipes. If you haven’t been to her site then I encourage you to go over to check her out!
I told Jill what I was looking for and today she is delivering. Thanks you Jill – for the guest post and for the delicious Baked Potato Patties!

Baked Potato Patties are my version of the potato cakes my grandmother would have fried. I have made them with freshly boiled mashed potatoes and with leftover mashed potatoes. They make a wonderful side veggie to any meal. But that’s not all they’re good for.

Oh yes! There’s more! I can also turn them into appetizers for parties. Such as they are shown in the photo. They can be eaten hot or at room temperature, too. Amazing, huh? This recipe could turn out to be your next family family.

HERE’S ALL IT TAKES

6 garlic cloves
1/4 cup yellow onion, sliced
oil for light frying

3 cups mashed potatoes (freshly boiled or leftover)
2 to 3 tablespoons cream or milk
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 small egg, well beaten

Heat oven to 425ºF.

In a small fry pan, over medium-low heat, heat just enough oil to coat garlic cloves and onion slices. Cook garlic and onions slowly until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.

To the 3 cups of mashed potatoes, add the garlic cloves and mash them together, stirring well. Add cream if the potato mixture is thick, one tablespoon at a time. But not so much as to make it loose. Think cookie dough consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finally, stir in beaten egg.

Using a 1-inch cookie dough scoop, scoop out potato mixture onto a well-greased cookie sheet. Use a wet fork to press potato balls flat to 1/4-inch thickness. Add a sliver of cooked onion to top the potato patty.

Bake until lightly golden, 10 to 15 minutes.

1. Bellini Valli January 25, 2010 at 2:35 pm - Reply

These are sumple and delicious. I love the uncomplicated:D

2. Jessie January 25, 2010 at 3:43 pm - Reply

they kind of remind me of latkes but these are so much more healthier since they are baked. so tasty too

3. Patsyk January 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm - Reply

I love Jill's site! What a great recipe for her to share today… looks so yummy!

4. Andrew's Mom January 25, 2010 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Those look great!

5. Mags January 25, 2010 at 7:49 pm - Reply

What a great healthier version of potato patties. I love it!

6. Fallon January 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm - Reply

I love these! Be great for a party. Everyone loves potatoes!

7. noble pig January 25, 2010 at 9:32 pm - Reply

These are beyond adorable!!

8. Robin Sue January 25, 2010 at 10:55 pm - Reply

I love this idea, such a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!

9. teresa January 26, 2010 at 12:57 am - Reply

these are so fun, my whole family would love them!

10. Katie January 26, 2010 at 1:22 am - Reply

mmmm, these sound great! I am such a potato head.

11. Amanda January 26, 2010 at 1:50 am - Reply

Wow those look great! I love any kind of potato 🙂

12. Barbara Bakes January 26, 2010 at 2:58 am - Reply

How fun to have a guest post! These look so easy and delicious!

13. Pam January 26, 2010 at 3:13 am - Reply

We used to make these growing up with leftover mashed potatoes – yours look so delicious.

14. Coleen's Recipes January 26, 2010 at 8:30 am - Reply

I am ALWAYS searching for side dishes and this looks excellent!!! I just love the romantic photo of you & hubby (in the above banner).

15. Jill@SimpleDailyRecipes.com January 26, 2010 at 6:57 pm - Reply

Thank you, ladies! These little treats are hard to stop eating, so make sure you bake enough.
    They hold up well the next day, too.

I've slowly warmed them back up in the oven set to 300º for 7 to 10 minutes, and they turned out fine. Just in case you're the cook-ahead type.

Thank you, again, Shelby for sharing the recipe. oxoxo

16. Katy ~ January 27, 2010 at 10:25 am - Reply

I LUV potatoes. I could eat them 3x a day, I think, so a new potato recipe is always greeted with enthusiasm. This one looks deeeee-lish! Appreciate that it's baked!

17. Leslie January 27, 2010 at 7:19 pm - Reply

Oh wow..these look amazingly simple and delicious

18. buy dsi r4 January 29, 2010 at 10:46 am - Reply

This is exactly what I wanted. I really liked it a lot. I am soon gonna try it at home.