One of my friends mentioned this recipe from Allrecipes.com and I immediately knew I was going to try it. I love potatoes and I love asparagus and I love them both roasted…so roasting them together was definitely going to be delicious – not to mention the color was going to be great!

To Grumpy this was “ok” but to me it was awesome! I think his reaction was because of the herbs that were mixed in the dish. I did cut them down quite a bit knowing he might not care for the “herbiness” of the recipe. However, I just couldn’t get enough. As a matter of fact, I had leftovers for two days all to mysel! :o)

What really made this dish special to me was one of the Grad students brought in some tomato chutney for me that he had made (Thanks Rajiv!) and I topped the leftovers off with the chutney – delish! I don’t have the chutney recipe, but I will get Rajiv to do this for me one day (I hope!) so I can blog about it.

Oven Roasted Red Potatoes and Asparagus
Modified from allrecipes.com

1-1/2 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 teaspoons dried rosemary
1 teaspoons dried thyme
1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
sea salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

In a large baking dish, toss the red potatoes with 1/2 the olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and 1/2 the kosher salt. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix in the asparagus, remaining olive oil, and remaining salt. Cover, and continue cooking 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Remove foil, and continue cooking 5 to 10 minutes. Season with pepper to serve.

1. noble pig March 8, 2009 at 7:59 am - Reply

Oh how yummy…I love potatoes too!

2. Cristine March 8, 2009 at 10:56 am - Reply

Wow, Shelby!!! That looks fantastic! I love potatoes and asparagus. I’ll have to give this a try!

I’ve missed you over the past month. The kids and I are still slightly jetlagged and I have been busy organizing pictures (about 500!!!) from the trip, but I hope to be up and blogging this week!

3. Donna-FFW March 8, 2009 at 11:24 am - Reply

This looks so very delicious. My kind of side dish!! I hope youre able to get that chutney recipe. Id love to see it..Great photo!

4. Daily Spud March 8, 2009 at 11:40 am - Reply

That sounds like a side dish that I would love too. Would happily eat it and its leftovers for days 🙂

5. Meg March 8, 2009 at 12:24 pm - Reply

I love all the herbs in this one! Looks delicious.

6. Olga March 8, 2009 at 1:27 pm - Reply

Yum!
    Next time also try adding whole shallots: great with roasted potatoes.

7. Barbara Bakes March 8, 2009 at 1:40 pm - Reply

Sounds like an easy delicious side dish!

8. recipes2share March 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm - Reply

This is a really lovely mix of vegetables – so colourful and tasty too!

9. Katie's blog March 8, 2009 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Looks Yummy! Two of my favorites!!!

10. Netts Nook March 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing your recipe I bet the rosemary and thyme add so much flavor. Can’t wait to try.

11. Jessie March 8, 2009 at 3:03 pm - Reply

asparagus gets a lot of flack from people I know but I love it! roasted red potatoes and asparagus are one of my two favorite vegetables along with corn and broccoli.. I could go on! lol

12. Megan March 8, 2009 at 3:22 pm - Reply

simple yet delicious? My kind of side dish. And doesnt roastinf make the veggies just that much better?

13. AK Mom March 8, 2009 at 4:14 pm - Reply

This sounds like a very tasty side dish to me. 🙂

14. Laura March 8, 2009 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Yum that looks like spring!

15. gail March 8, 2009 at 4:47 pm - Reply

mmmm two of my favourites – together!

16. Bellini Valli March 8, 2009 at 5:20 pm - Reply

This is definitely my kind of dish HoneyB.

17. Elyse March 8, 2009 at 5:53 pm - Reply

I’m totally with you: I love new potatoes, love asparagus, love roasting them, and love herbs. I can’t imagine a more flavorful combination. I’m sure that I could eat this as a meal instead of a side. Who needs any main meat dish anyway?? Mmm, I can’t wait to try this for myself!

18. Carrie March 8, 2009 at 6:38 pm - Reply

This looks amazing, I know I would love this. I need to try it!

19. Susie March 8, 2009 at 7:59 pm - Reply

Your picture of it makes it look fantastic! Susie aka Hick Chick

20. Jenny March 8, 2009 at 10:50 pm - Reply

Mmmmm, it looks perfect Shelby, all the yummy things I like. Have a great rest of your weekend!

21. Patsyk March 9, 2009 at 1:52 am - Reply

Looks like my kind of side dish! Yum!

22. Linda March 9, 2009 at 3:37 am - Reply

Looks like my kind of dish, Shelby, and great pics! Do find out about the tomato chutney recipe.

23. Carrian March 10, 2009 at 1:15 am - Reply

LOVE IT! I think this looks so delicious

24. Carrian March 10, 2009 at 1:15 am - Reply

LOVE IT! I think this looks so delicious

25. Tangled Noodle March 10, 2009 at 1:54 pm - Reply

I love this kind of side dish that incorporates the starch and vegetable so that you have a simple yet colorful plate. I’m glad you didn’t let Grumpy’s ho-hum response deter you from loving it. I’ve been known to drop a recipe from my repertoire even though I enjoyed it personally b/c the hubs wasn’t as fond; it’s not likely, in that event, that I would make if just for myself. I’m such a fool for love.

26. MyKitchenInHalfCups March 10, 2009 at 2:47 pm - Reply

This has got to be this summer’s BBQ potato salad! Most excellent.

27. Carrie April 24, 2009 at 3:31 am - Reply

this dish looks great! i’m going to be making it next week to go with some burgers. i’ll be posting a link to this recipe from my blog on sunday when i post my meal plan for next week

28. Tatiana January 22, 2011 at 7:48 pm - Reply

Thank you for this post. I just made this with about half the herbs but fresh, half the garlic (ended up adding garlic salt because 8 cloves would've been perfect), and broiled to crisp up the potatoes a bit… no pepper… ate with a soft boiled egg… delicious. The potatoes are so creamy.

29. Shelby January 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Tatiana, I am glad you enjoyed this dish! It is yummy and your meal sounds like it was delish!

30. Ashlynn Green June 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm - Reply

I really loved this dish! I’ve made it a few times now. The way we decided we like it best is cooking the potatoes as instructed, but when you mix the asparagus with olive oil also add in sliced mushrooms and slivers of onion. Then we mix those vegetables with 1/8 cup parmesan cheese before putting them over the potatoes to bake 🙂 It’s delicious.

• Shelby June 18, 2015 at 4:03 am - Reply

Ashley, your version sounds delicious! I love the addition of mushroom, onion and cheese! I will have to try it myself! Thanks for letting me know!

31. […] looking to serve a hearty meal, some good sides would be Roasted Red Skinned Potatoes, or, these Oven Roasted Potatoes with Asparagus are a great choice […]