Pin It

Just last week we were buried in snow. Yesterday, we were sunny and in the 60’s! All that snow is gone, as I knew it would be. But, I know it will come back. I don’t really dislike the snow. Its the cold I don’t like. The only thing about the snow I don’t really like is the road conditions. When I was a kid I loved the snow – and we would have lots of it! More than we have now days. I remember in the Blizzard of ’77 we were only about 2 miles from home and actually couldn’t go any further! My dad and uncle came to pick us up on snowmobiles! I feel a lot of nostalgia as I get older and I miss the days of being young and carefree. If we, as children, only knew that life was much harder as an adult, we wouldn’t wish it away so easily!

One memory that gives me comfort in some odd way is Christmas eve when I was mabye 13 years old. We always went to visit my dad’s parents on Christmas eve. Many of my cousins would be there and there would be all kinds of goodies to munch on. This particular Christmas eve I remember being outside waiting for my parents and the snow was falling. I remember standing there reveling in the falling snow and how beautiful it was. Something about that moment gives me peace. To this day, I am happy when I see it snowing on Christmas eve. Once Christmas is over however, the snow can go away! But it never does.

I found a new recipe for comfort food this week. It is for Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes. I was looking for a potato dish that was different and came across this one in one of my older Light & Tasty magazines. We had it tonight with a venison meatloaf and butternut squash. These tasty creamy potatoes will have you feeling all cozy in no time at all!

Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes
Light & Tasty, November 2006

1 tablespoon canola oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1-1/2 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
3 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
3 tablespoons fat free milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat; add onions and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir 15 minutes or until moisture has evaporated and onions are completely wilted. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for 30-40 minutes or until onions are caramelized. (If necessary, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if onions begin to stick to pan).

Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until tender.

Drain potatoes; place in large bowl and mash. Add the sour cream, milk, pepper, and remaining salt; mash until blended. Stir in caramelized onions. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with butter; sprinkle with cheese and bacon.

One serving is 2/3 cup. For my weight watcher points counter friends, this is 4 points. (200 calories, 9 grams fat, 3 grams fiber)

1. Cristine November 5, 2008 at 10:13 am - Reply

Those look heavenly!!!!

And nothing beats snow on Christmas. I am from Arizona and so I never had a white Christmas. Being in Germany for 6 years has changed that and I sure hope we have a white Christmas this year! 🙂

2. Michele November 5, 2008 at 11:06 am - Reply

Sounds like a healthier version of a loaded baked potato…I’ll try your version out on Mr. P this weekend.

3. Meg November 5, 2008 at 11:14 am - Reply

Wow! Amazing potatoes!I am loving the onions!! Comfort food at it’s best!

4. Bellini Valli November 5, 2008 at 1:25 pm - Reply

We always wished for snow for Christmas as kids so we could try out our new skis, or toboggans. We lived thousands of miles from the closest relative so the afternoon was always spent outdoors. The rest of the year it can go away as you already mentioned now that I am older and wiser and have to drive. These tatties would be a welcome addition to any meeal after braving the roads in the winter:D

5. Lisa November 5, 2008 at 2:19 pm - Reply

I will definitely be trying these!

6. Barbara Bakes November 5, 2008 at 2:23 pm - Reply

I too love snow on Christmas Eve – it’s magical. I am definitely making this recipe!

7. RecipeGirl November 5, 2008 at 2:32 pm - Reply

That looks anything but light and tasty lol!

Can you say *yummy* at 6:30am? I’d eat these for breakfast… there’s bacon in there, right?

8. Gera November 5, 2008 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Hi HoneyB!

A classical and tasty recipe.. the caramelized onion give a touch of sweetness that enhance a lot all the dish.
    By the way have you tried this dish with milanesas? Delicious!!

9. Peggy November 5, 2008 at 3:05 pm - Reply

those potatoes look delicious and right up my alley. I make a loaded bake potato casserole that is similar. I love your blog because you are always cooking something that makes my mouth water. 🙂

10. Jessie November 5, 2008 at 3:13 pm - Reply

You know, I was happy with my bagel this morning until I saw this! Wow, looks amazing! I’d like a big bowl, please!

+Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

11. CookiePie November 5, 2008 at 3:26 pm - Reply

Wow – that looks amazing! I’m not usually a big fan of potatoes (I know, very weird!), but these look great. Either way, I’ll definitely take a big slice of venison meatloaf (yum!) and some butternut squash!

12. Carrie November 5, 2008 at 3:49 pm - Reply

I love carmelized onions! We still haven’t received our first snowfall (which is very strange) but I’m sure it will be here any day now…

13. nicole November 5, 2008 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Ohh yum! I love potatoes all ways. This looks so good.

14. Pam November 5, 2008 at 5:15 pm - Reply

Oh my. I must make these soon. How can you go wrong with mashed potatoes, bacon and cheese? What a perfect side dish.

15. Foong November 5, 2008 at 5:49 pm - Reply

Oh wow. Looks GOOD.

16. Liz Stambaugh November 5, 2008 at 7:40 pm - Reply

OMG this is genius! Tatters, cheese, onions and BACON!

17. Libby November 5, 2008 at 8:01 pm - Reply

These look great… and I am enjoying our NY weather, too!

18. natalia November 5, 2008 at 8:15 pm - Reply

it really looks great !

19. Deborah November 5, 2008 at 8:23 pm - Reply

It snowed here all morning, but it looks like it’s warming up again outside. And these potatoes look amazing!

20. tahtimbo November 5, 2008 at 9:00 pm - Reply

I’m going to try these for Thanksgiving. These look Fantastic!!
    Thanks for the recipe:)

21. Tink November 5, 2008 at 9:20 pm - Reply

Oh my, this looks sinfully good! I found your blog through Stephanie’s. I plan to be a follower! Thanks for sharing.

22. Reeni November 5, 2008 at 9:20 pm - Reply

They look so good! Chock full of lots of goodies. I am feeling cozier!

23. Prudence November 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm - Reply

OMG!! One word: *YUM* I LOVE potates!! Great pictures!!

24. Annie November 6, 2008 at 12:04 am - Reply

Lots of great things in one recipe – potatoes, cheese, bacon – what more could one ask for?!

25. Carolyn Jung November 6, 2008 at 12:37 am - Reply

I could eat a huge bowl of this for dinner _ and nothing else.

26. Quisty November 6, 2008 at 1:04 am - Reply

Thank you for posting the points!

27. Sophie November 5, 2008 at 8:17 pm - Reply

Yum! Comfort food at its best, and nothing beats caramelized onions :).

28. gail November 6, 2008 at 1:25 am - Reply

mmm! I love anything with caramelized onions!

29. Kang Kang Kang. November 5, 2008 at 8:34 pm - Reply

you had me at caramalised 😀
    oh this is just a hearty recipe, now i really want a dollop of the potatoes after reading this!

30. Sharon November 6, 2008 at 4:03 am - Reply

Thanksgiving side dish #1 taken care of! Thanks for the great recipe. I’m sure my family will love this.

31. Jo November 6, 2008 at 5:47 am - Reply

this looks so delicious. i’m imagining this will taste yummy on a piece of toast.

32. Peabody November 6, 2008 at 11:11 am - Reply

I would have to go the full fat verison…but they sound super good.

33. Timeless Gourmet November 6, 2008 at 10:44 pm - Reply

MMMM…..I don’t have venison on hand, but I have a buffalo steak in the fridge – and I think this is exactly what I need to make with it! Terrific

34. Cami @ Creating Myself November 7, 2008 at 11:06 pm - Reply

These potatoes sound DELISH! Can’t wait to try them.

35. Aggie November 13, 2008 at 9:53 pm - Reply

Those are some serious mashed potatoes! I don’t normally like mashed potatoes, but would just love those!!!

36. Matt November 17, 2008 at 1:21 am - Reply

These are on my “must make” list! Oh my gosh do they look good!

37. Bill November 26, 2008 at 1:01 pm - Reply

Is there any better combination than carbs, carmelized onions and bacon? I don’t think so.

38. Dee November 26, 2008 at 1:29 pm - Reply

That looks like a heavenly combination & a wonderful way to have superb mashed potatoes! Not the same old taters for certain. Nice blog, I'll be returning to read more.

39. Megan November 26, 2008 at 3:10 pm - Reply

I think I’ll make these for Thanksgiving. :)I was looking for something different and I have all the ing!!! Yaahooo!

40. […] these fabulous potatoes. I love to great all year long.  My blogging buddy Shelby from, The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch, post this recipe. She found it in Light & Tasty magazine from November 2006, and I […]