Two Pumpkin Biscotti on a plate with a tray of biscotti to the upper left on a blue towel

Pumpkin Biscotti is made with pumpkin puree, flavored with pumpkin pie spices and drizzled with an optional vanilla icing or white chocolate. It is a delicious, easy to make, pumpkin recipe to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea.

Full of pumpkin flavor, these Pumpkin Biscotti bring a feeling of fall comfort and warmth. Enjoy them plain, or, if your feeling a little fancy drizzled with a little bit of vanilla icing on top! These biscotti make a great treat to enjoy while reading a book or just relaxing with your friends!

Why I make Pumpkin Biscotti every fall

I love pumpkin. It is one of my favorite fall squash to bake with. Every fall, I get the craving to enjoy a crisp biscotti with warming pumpkin pie spice. I love cool fall days and baking Pumpkin Biscotti!

Most people get the fall food cravings as summer get closer to an end, myself included! I’m ready to beat the heat and cool down. Something about breathing in the cooler air makes me start thinking along the lines of pumpkin pie spices and baking. Pumpkin Biscotti is a favorite pumpkin spice fall recipes to make, along with Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls!

Pumpkin Biscotti with icing drizzle and fall colored sugars on parchment paper

A Biscotti that is soft and crispy at the same time

This Pumpkin Biscotti recipe is not super crunchy. While it is a twice baked cookie, it still is not typical of a regular biscotti. Because this biscotti is made with pumpkin puree, it will tend to stay a little on softer side. The moisture from the pumpkin is what causes the cookie to be less crisp.

If you love biscotti that is more traditional, then this pumpkin biscotti is probably not it. My grandaughter described the cookie as chewy. I would say she was correct, however not in the chewy sense that you have a super soft cookie. I think maybe in the sense that it wasn’t crunchy like she expected it to be.

Pumpkin Biscotti drizzled with vanilla glaze on parchment lined serving tray

What is Pumpkin Pie Spice?

Pumpkin Pie Spice is an all in one seasoning that brings together the flavors of fall. It a blend of spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves. These are spices that are considered to be warming and are used in recipes that normally have pumpkin as an ingredient.

You can buy Pumpkin Pie Spice as a blend or you can make your own. I like to buy the spice blend. But, you can make your own! This recipe for Pumpkin Pie Spice blend is a good one to use.

Original Pumpkin Biscotti Photo
First photo I ever took of Pumpkin Biscotti!

How to make Pumpkin Biscotti

This pumpkin recipe is super easy to make and takes very little time to put together. Waiting for them to cool completely is the hardest part! There is no added fat other than the eggs, and this calculates to 1 gram of fat per cookie!

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while you are mixing together your ingredients. Sift the flour and seasonings into a large bowl. The pumpkin, eggs, and vanilla extract are blended together and then added to the dry ingredients.

dry ingredients in a mixing bowl

Stir the dough until it just comes together. Then roll the dough out onto a clean surface and knead it until lightly it all comes together.

dough on floured counter

Next, Divide the dough in half and shape into logs. I do this right on my baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the logs are firm to touch.

dough shaped into logs on parchment paper

Remove the pumpkin biscotti from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Once cool, use a serrated knife and slice the logs into 1″ thick slices.

pumpkin biscotti before 2nd baking

Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes. If your biscotti feels too soft to the touch, bake a little longer.

Tips for a successful Pumpkin Biscotti recipe

It is important to remember that Pumpkin Biscotti is not your typical biscotti recipe. I don’t care what anyone tells you. These biscotti will soften. Believe me, I have tried to make these as hard and crunchy as your regular biscotti recipes. It just will not happen. However, it does not mean they are not delicious!

A few other things to keep in mind while making this recipe are listed below.

1. If the dough is sticky, use a little extra flour dusted on your hands, or lightly sprinkled over the dough.
  2. Pat and shape the biscotti logs with your hands and do this on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  3. Be sure to let the pumpkin biscotti cool at least 15 minutes after the first baking before you start to cut. This prevents burning your fingers and stops the biscotti from falling apart by cutting them when they are too hot.
  4. Use a sawing motion with a serrated knife to easily cut the biscotti.
  5. Allow pumpkin biscotti to sit on cooling rack for several hours before decorating or storing. This will allow the biscotti to dry out a little more.
Two biscotti on a white plate with blue napkin in background

Favorite Pumpkin Spice Fall Recipes you may like

Pumpkin spice is a flavor that I think will never go out of style! It seems to be something that exploded over the last 10 years. That may be because of the internet and the readily available recipes out there that use this fall flavor. Below are some of my favorite pumpkin spice recipes that I love to make every fall! What is your favorite pumpkin spice fall recipe?

Variations to this recipe

The original recipe was written and posted in October 2008. Since then, I have made this recipe several times with different variations to the recipe.

• Drizzle with a homemade cream cheese frosting or melted white chocolate
  • Sprinkle the top of biscotti with cinnamon sugar before baking.
  • Sprinkle frosted biscotti with fall colored sugars

*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating*

Two biscotti on a white plate with blue napkin in background

Pumpkin Biscotti

Pumpkin Biscotti are full of pumpkin and spice! Delicious served up on a cool fall day with your favorite cup of coffee.
Print Pin Rate

• dash of salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Vanilla Icing or White Chocolate optional

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Mix together the dry ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
  • Make a well in the dry ingredient mixture and pour the wet ingredients in the well. Stir until just combined.
  • Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead a few times to bring it all together.
  • Divide dough in half and pat into a log shape, about 15×7 inches. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and dough is firm in the center
  • Remove pumpkin biscotti from oven and cool for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, slice into 1" thick slices and lay the slice on the cut side.
  • Return biscotti to oven and bake another 15 minutes, turning once.
  • Cool completely on wire racks. If desired, drizzle with your favorite vanilla icing or chocolate.

Nutrition

Serving: 1g | Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 23mg | Sodium: 50mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 13g

1. Meg October 18, 2008 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Beautiful pics! Loving the pumpkin biscotti!

2. gail October 18, 2008 at 8:34 pm - Reply

oooh yum!!!! ….pumpkin fanatic!

3. The Food Librarian October 18, 2008 at 9:21 pm - Reply

These pumpkin biscotti looks delicious. And that’s not your camera – it’s your baking! 🙂 Happy new camera too! The recipe is interesting…there isn’t any butter! It’s now a health food!

4. r October 18, 2008 at 9:34 pm - Reply

Beautiful photo’s! I managed the outdoor laundry too. Isn’t it wonderful to wind-dry…biscotti looks fab too!

5. Stephanie October 18, 2008 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Cool! I love biscotti, and pumpkin biscotti sounds so fun and delicious!

6. rubybean77 October 18, 2008 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Awesome photos! I hope you love your new camera. The biscotti looks fabulous too! I need to try that out.

7. HoneyB October 18, 2008 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Thanks everyone!

Kang – The camera is a Panasonic
    TZ5 Lumix and it is really nice! I love the photos it takes. It is 9.1 megapixels, 10x optical zoom.

8. Barbara October 19, 2008 at 12:10 am - Reply

Gorgeous photos! Congratulations – have fun!

9. kang October 18, 2008 at 10:05 pm - Reply

It is beautiful :), congrats on the new camera, glad to see you loving it, out of curiousity what camera is it? The pics are very lovely!

And the biscotti recipe looks great too 😀

10. Leslie October 19, 2008 at 2:16 am - Reply

Congrats on the new camera! Its always fun to get a new toy!

11. Di October 19, 2008 at 2:43 am - Reply

Your biscotti look great! And hey, another pumpkin recipe for me to try. =) Congrats on the new camera!

12. noble pig October 19, 2008 at 3:06 am - Reply

Beautiful picture, I can only imagine how this would taste with my coffee…yum.

13. Matt October 18, 2008 at 11:16 pm - Reply

Beautiful pictures and beautiful biscotti. The biscotti are perfectly plump and chubby just like pumpkins. By the way, the power of suggestion has kicked in: I saw those little candy pumpkins and am craving them…

14. Megan October 19, 2008 at 3:31 am - Reply

Love a treat that is practicaly fat free. Love the picture with the candy pumpkins.

15. natalie October 19, 2008 at 3:28 am - Reply

ohhhh! looks yummy! i’ve been wanting to make some biscotti, and i have just enough pumpkin to make these! 🙂

16. Andrew Abraham October 19, 2008 at 11:41 am - Reply

So creative to make a pumpkin biscotti…. Can not wait to try this with my coffee…

Thanks

Andy

17. trishybee October 19, 2008 at 3:55 pm - Reply

thank you so much for this post! i just made them and they came out fabulous! so easy! i put a little cinnamon drizzle on the top just to add an extra element.

18. nicole October 19, 2008 at 7:22 pm - Reply

Isn’t everything with pumpkin in it good?

19. CookiePie October 19, 2008 at 7:32 pm - Reply

Those look delicious! I bet they’re amazing with a hot cup of coffee or cider – yum!

20. Jenny October 19, 2008 at 10:05 pm - Reply

Wow shelby, these are soo calling my name! I gotta try these soon! Great pics too!

21. Clumbsy Cookie October 19, 2008 at 11:05 pm - Reply

Yay for the new camera! The pictures are great, love the step by step! Lovevy biscotti, so perfect for the season!

22. Zesty Cook October 20, 2008 at 1:38 am - Reply

WOW – Gorgeous pictures!!!! Love the recipe… great fall treat!

23. Prudy October 20, 2008 at 2:03 am - Reply

I love it! Of course I would ruin the fat free effect by dunking it in chocolate. They look delicious!

24. Vera October 20, 2008 at 4:28 am - Reply

Beautiful photos! And delicious looking biscotti!

25. RecipeGirl October 20, 2008 at 12:20 pm - Reply

This looks delicious. I love biscotti. And there’s something about making it that I really enjoy too.

Congrats on the new camera- everything looks great!

26. *Priscilla* October 20, 2008 at 1:13 pm - Reply

that looks so good!! i’ve never had pumpkin biscotti but would try those any day!

27. Lisa October 20, 2008 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I am loving all your fall baking!

28. Flourchild October 20, 2008 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Wow what great photos. Please tell me what kind of camera you got..Im in the market for a new one!

29. Ingrid October 20, 2008 at 3:51 pm - Reply

Yay, for your new camera! I thought I might be getting a new one too but my old one was found….. Your pictures came out beautifully!

Thank you for posting the recipe! I had a pre-packaged pumpkin biscotti last Christmas and loved it. I’ve been on the lookout for them to come out again. Now I can make my own!
    ~ingrid

30. Jude October 20, 2008 at 11:41 pm - Reply

Love the color on the biscotti.. Such a nice fall dessert.

31. Pam October 21, 2008 at 4:49 am - Reply

Your camera is working great! The photos are really good. I love the idea of pumpkin biscotti dipped in my morning latte. Yum!

32. Jenn and Mat October 21, 2008 at 3:56 pm - Reply

I made these, but added a handful of mini dark chocolate chips, and they came out really nicely. I let them sit out for a day, hoping they would get crisp… but then it randomly got really humid all of a sudden and they are weird and chewy now. I am going to re-bake them for a little bit and hopefully they will crisp up! Thanks for posting this – I saw all the TWD biscotti posts but was skeptical about using 1/2 cup of butter for something that is supposed to be pretty low-fat, so this is great!

33. Katie October 21, 2008 at 4:20 pm - Reply

Congrats on the new camera and I will be making these soon!

34. Julia October 22, 2008 at 5:19 am - Reply

Horray for pumpkin!!! I’m gonna have to try these!

35. Lexy October 25, 2008 at 3:38 pm - Reply

I made these and they turned out great! They were a big hit with my roommates. Thanks!

36. eatme_delicious October 27, 2008 at 4:49 am - Reply

Mmm I love pumpkins and this biscotti looks so good! Saving the recipe.

37. Tracy September 17, 2009 at 1:59 am - Reply

I've got to try those!

38. delia November 13, 2009 at 5:57 am - Reply

I made this last weekend. It was great when out of the oven. Yesterday, I found that it's chewy. I prefer hard crisp biscotti. Will it harden if I leave it out in the open without covering? Thanks.

39. HoneyB November 13, 2009 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Delia – they will tend to "soften" some because of the pumpkin. I think it wouldn't harm to dry them out more by putting back in the oven on a low heat for a while. Just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.

40. Tracy November 18, 2010 at 12:30 pm - Reply

Your biscotti look great! Enjoy your new toy!

41. Joanne November 28, 2010 at 2:58 am - Reply

mmm!! Made it today and it came out perfect! Slightly moist too 🙂

I dusted the top with powdered sugar and altered the recipe slightly from a "pinch" to 1/4 teaspoon cloves and 1/4 teaspoon ginger.

42. I was just searching for a pumpkin biscotti recipe and your's look fantastic!

43. Dawn Evanoff October 30, 2014 at 7:35 pm - Reply

I just made these yesterday. Great flavor….chewy though, as you said. Will play with trying to dry them out a liyyle. Very tasty!

44. Anonymous October 4, 2019 at 8:14 am - Reply

45. Miriah October 14, 2019 at 12:34 pm - Reply

46. Anonymous October 23, 2019 at 4:26 pm - Reply

0.5

47. […] Canned Pumpkin: While you won’t need an entire can of pumpkin to make this drink, you can use what’s leftover and make some Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Rum Frosting or Pumpkin Biscotti! […]