This month the Virtual Supper Club is sharing with you recipes for April's fool. While this isn't a "real" fool (a fool traditionally combines custard and pureed fruit), its close enough as there is rhubarb sauce and custard, they are just layered, not combined!
The strawberries in this dessert are not sweetened and the sugar in the rhubarb is minimal and has some cranberry juice in it rather than the orange juice called for in the original recipe. The rhubarb sauce itself was so good that I stirred it in with some of my plain Greek Yogurt for breakfast! I may make some of that sauce just to have for my Greek yogurt and top with a little bit of granola for my morning meal!
Don't forget to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!
When you make this recipe, please comment below and let me know what you think. I'd love it if you tag me on Instagram @grumpyshoneybunch or #grumpyshoneybunch so I can see your photos!
If you love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating
Strawberry Rhubarb Trifle
For the Custard
For the Rhubarb Sauce:
- 15 ounces angel food cake , cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 pound strawberries , sliced
- 2 cups reduced fat frozen whipped topping , thawed
To make the custard
- Heat milk, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat until bubbles just form around the edge of the saucepan.
- Whisk egg and remaining 2-½ tablespoons of sugar, cornstarch, egg and egg yolks until smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup hot milk, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Whisk egg yolk/milk mixture back into the hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium low heat until thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Place in a bowl and cover top of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
To make the Rhubarb Sauce
- Place ¼ cup sugar, cranberry juice, salt and unthawed frozen rhubarb with the liquid in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 15 minutes or until rhubarb breaks down and mixture thickens. Cool to room temperature.
To assemble the dessert
- I used individual trifle bowls to serve my dessert however you can also make this as 1 large trifle. Layer the dessert as follows.
- Begin with cake, place strawberries around edge and over top of cake. Spoon rhubarb sauce over the strawberries. Spoon custard over rhubarb. Repeat layers 2 more times. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Spread whipped topping over top just prior to serving.