Pepper Crusted Sirloin with Warm Farro Spinach Salad - steaks that have a hot sear and finished in the oven paired with a warm salad bed of farro that has been simmered in beef broth, and tossed with spinach, and pan roasted grape tomatoes. A quick, easy and nutritious weeknight meal for your table!
While there are fair share of indulgent dishes here on my blog, there also are just as many healthier recipes. Eating healthier in our home is always my goal to achieve so when I can make a recipe that is not only delicious, but is quick and easy to put on my dinner table, then I'm a real happy camper!
So, after enjoying Applebee's Pepper Crusted Sirloin with Warm Spinach Farro Salad, I knew I had to try making it at home. I like to rotate meals during the week to include different proteins and change my table up and lean beef is one of our favorite proteins to choose from. And, the nutrition provided by the beef is just another reason to make it part of our weekly meal plan!
I recently accepted a new job that takes me home a little later in the evenings now and this makes it even more important to me to have recipes I can go to as quick, easy, and nutritious.
There is nothing more comforting than knowing when I get home, in less than 30 minutes I can have dinner on the table and have minimal clean up after!
One of my favorite new whole grains I have found that helps make quick weeknight meals a goal I can achieve is 10-minute farro. I love the slightly chewy grain with its nutty flavor and creating a warm salad with it to pair with the steak was going to be a match made in heaven!
Simmering the farro in beef broth with some Italian seasoning while the steaks and tomatoes are roasting in the oven makes it so easy and I even had time to do some clean up in the kitchen while dinner was cooking!
The beef I chose for this recipe is a sirloin strip steak that was cut about 1 inch thick and was the perfect choice for tenderness and flavor! The entire meal itself adds up to only 370 calories which makes it not only a perfect dinner, but a great lunch too should you have leftovers!
Need some other quick, easy, and nutritious meal ideas for your busy weekday nights? Be sure to check out other recipes being posted this week for great ideas!
Grilled Teriyaki Steak and Noodle Salad
Bistro Style Steak and Onion Sandwich
Skillet Swiss Steak
Dry Steak Rub for the Grill or Grill Pan
Pepper Crusted Sirloin with Farro Spinach Salad
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 16 ounces sirloin steaks 1 inch thick, patted dry (2 steaks)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons coarsely ground black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup 10-minute farro
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups grape tomatoes , sliced in half
For the steaks
- Heat the oven to 500°F. Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides, and then press the ground peppercorns into the steaks on both sides.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to make a light film. When the oil is very hot, add the steaks, cooking until nicely browned on one side for about 3 minutes.
- Flip the meat over and put the skillet in the oven. Roast for 5 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a warm plate and tent with foil and let set for 10 minutes prior to slicing.
For the farro salad
- While steaks are roasting, add sliced grape tomatoes to a small baking pan coated with cooking spray and roast tomatoes in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to add to salad prior to serving.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, bring beef broth and farro to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach and cover dish for 5 minutes to let spinach wilt into farro. Remove lid and toss tomatoes into spinach farro mixture.
- Place salad on serving platter and top with thinly sliced steak strips.
Maris (In Good Taste)
I would love to have this for dinner tonight!
Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere
Such a wonderful weeknight meal! I am always looking for new ways to use farro!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama
This sounds delicious! And I love the addition of farro! 🙂
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads
Pretty sure I'd absolutely love this steak! Such an awesome spinach salad too 🙂
Erica (@Erica's Recipes)
Yum! Lovely presentation, and I do love me a sirloin steak. I have not tried farro yet, I need to add that to my to-do list. Love this Shelby!
Your steak looks fabulous!! I love a quick steak recipe on busy weeknights.
Sandra - The Foodie Affair
This is a great looking cut of beef! Pairs perfectly with the Farro Spinach Salad!
Sarah @ The Gold Lining Girl
I could eat steak all day every day, it's definitely my protein of choice. Haha! That warm farro salad sounds amazing! I'd love to try that.
So do you love the new job? I too love anything that can be under 30 minutes. And minimal clean up is huge! Looks great
I do love the new job! It is far more interesting (Matrimonial Law) and never boring. lol 🙂
I haven't seen 10 minute farro. I'll have to look for it. I love that you paired it with a sirloin.
Cynthia @ Whole Food | Real Families
Why have I not tried farro?? I have wanted to try it for ages and I love the idea of it with beef!
10 minute farro? I must find it. I absolutely love farro and steak with it too. Great recipe!