This recipe for Keto Pulled Pork is a sugar-free recipe that is made in the Instant Pot for a quick and easy dinner. It is seasoned with a homemade pork rub and the cooking liquid is a sugar-free rootbeer that is also keto-friendly at 1 net carb per serving.
This Instant Pot Pulled Pork recipe is delicious on a toasted Keto Slider Bun with some Homemade Coleslaw on top and perfect for any weeknight dinner.
A Pulled Pork Recipe that is low carb and keto-friendly
We are fans of pulled pork sandwiches. However, my go-to pulled pork recipe had way too much sugar in it to be a keto version. It had brown sugar and a sweet bbq sauce that put it over the top when it came to carbs.
I decided to try making a keto pulled pork by making a rub that had no sugar in it and using a sugar-free keto-friendly rootbeer. The result was a very moist and delicious pulled pork that was delicious with some sugar-free bbq sauce. This was so delicious, it will likely become a regular on our meal plan.
What you need to make this recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Pork: For this recipe, I used a boneless center-cut pork loin. I have also used a pork shoulder cut that was incredible.
Spices: Chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powder, and smoked paprika. The smoked paprika is highly recommended. It adds something extra special to the rub. I would not leave it out.
Salt: Salt should not be omitted in the recipe. Without it, the pulled pork will be very bland, even with all the spices.
Instant Pot: Also known as a pressure cooker. I have this one and it works great. The pot is stainless steel and it cleans right up shiny as new after using with this stainless steel cookware cleaner.
Sugar-Free Rootbeer: I use this brand. It is keto-friendly and colorless.
Tips for a successful recipe
- Give the pork a good massage with the spices. You want to rub it in and allow it to penetrate the meat.
- Pour the rootbeer in the bottom of the Instant Pot before you put the pork in. I like to keep the spices that I rubbed into the pork intact instead of washing it off with the liquid.
- Add at least ½ cup of cooking liquid to the pulled pork. Even if you are going to add a sugar-free bbq sauce. You want that moisture to stay with the pork, especially after pulling it.
- You can leave the piece of pork whole, or you can cut into 3 or 4 pieces. I have done both ways
- Use two forks to shred the pork easily.
- Cook the roast fat side up so the meat will soak in the juices as it cooks.
How long to cook pork in the Instant Pot
The general rule of thumb is to cook meat for 20 minutes per pound. I had a pork roast that was just under 5 pounds, so I cooked it in the Instant pot for 1 hour and 50 minutes. Then I did a natural release for 20 minutes, followed by a quick release to allow remaining steam to escape.
You can adjust the time of cooking for the size of pork you are cooking using the above guidelines.
Make Keto Pulled Pork in the slow cooker
This recipe can also be made in your crock pot. Follow the assembly instructions as stated in the recipe card and cook the pork on low for 8-10 hours. The length of time makes this an excellent recipe to put in the slow cooker before leaving for work in the morning. When the pork is cooked, it can be shredded right in the crock pot
The slow cooker method and the Instant Pot method are both good ways to cook this keto pulled pork. If you are in a hurry, then the Instant Pot is the way to go.
Make this pulled pork recipe your own
- Substitute a sugar-free cola in place of the root beer.
- If you are not keto, go ahead and use a regular soda or try a beer of your choice.
- If you must add a sweetener to your pulled pork rub, try this monkfruit sweetener to keep it keto.
- Change the spices to your favorite flavors. Chipotle powder would be a nice addition if you like the heat.
- Add another level of flavor and sear the pork on all sides on the saute setting before cooking. Add a tablespoon of oil to the instant pot and saute about 5 minutes. Then, add the liquid and cook.
What to serve with this Keto Pulled Pork
Our very favorite thing to serve with pulled pork is this Homemade Coleslaw. It is not only keto, but it is one of the recipes I have made for the longest amount of time on this website.
Keto Broccoli Salad would be a great side dish.
This Raspberry Chipotle Sauce is delicious mixed into the pulled pork and served on a Keto slider bun. This sauce also goes great on chicken or beef.
We also love this Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce. I like to kick it up just a little with a bit more cayenne.
Make a Low Carb Pizza Crust with pulled pork and any other favorite toppings you may like.
When you're on a higher carb day (or if carbs don't matter) these Browned Butter Sweet Potato Stacks make a delicious side dish.
Other low carb Instant Pot Recipes you may like
*If you made this Keto Pulled Pork recipe, please give it a star rating*
Keto Pulled Pork
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 5 lb pork loin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- [1 cup sugar-free rootbeer soda]
- In a small mixing bowl combine the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and salt.
- Sprinkle the pork rub over the pork loin and rub it in with your hands.
- Pour 1 cup sugar-free rootbeer in the bottom of the instant pot. Place the pork loin in the pot. Cover with the lid and make sure the release valve is locked. Set the manual setting on high for 60 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, allow it to do a natural release for 20 minutes.
- Unlock the valve and carefully transfer the pork from the Instant Pot to a cutting board.
- Pull the pork into pieces using two forks. Place the pulled pork in a storage container and cover with ½-3/4 cups of the cooking liquid. Toss to coat.
- Serve as desired.