This post is sponsored by the New York Beef Council. I received compensation for creating Homemade Veal Egg Rolls Recipe with Video and sharing it with my followers. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Homemade Veal Egg Rolls are filled with a ground veal and cabbage mixture. They are fried up until they are all nice and crispy and served with your favorite dipping sauce. These make the perfect make-ahead appetizers. They are easy to make and can be frozen until you are ready to cook them.
Ground veal is a great choice to use in place of other ground meat recipes, such as these egg rolls. It is nutrient dense and naturally lean. It has a delicate flavor and goes well with many types of seasonings.
When I made these egg rolls I used a little bit of butter to add some fat along with a tiny amount of sesame oil to add flavor. When it is cooked, it will no longer be pink. The color you see in the ground veal photo above is from the added coconut aminios. When it is cooked, it will be a light greyish color.
Homemade Veal Egg Rolls are easy to make!
It is as simple as buying the egg roll wrappers, mixing the filling in your skillet, then rolling the filling into the wrapper. Check out my photos and video for a visual!
You will start with the egg roll wrapper laid out on a board (or your countertop, whichever you prefer).
The edges of the wrapper should be dampened lightly, using your fingertips that have been dipped in water.
Next, you will add the filling near the corner that is closest to you. (Please ignore the flour marks on my fingers, those are from dampening the edges of the egg roll wrapper!
Once the filling is on the wrapper, you will bring the corner closest to you over the filling and start to roll it tightly.
Next, the corners on each side of the roll will come across the top of your first fold.
Once they are tucked in, you will continue to roll. If you need to add a little water to the final seam, that is ok. Just make sure your egg roll is "glued" together. This is what you are doing when you put water on the wrapper to dampen the flour coating.
At this point, you can either go ahead and fry the egg rolls or you can freeze them to fry later. You could also bake them if you wish, just brush the egg roll with a little oil or spray with some cooking spray and bake at 425 for about 18-20 minutes.
You can enjoy a complete meal that is better than take-out! Serve these egg rolls as appetizers along with some other delicious Asian recipes such as Crab Rangoon, Venison Pot Stickers, and Crab Rangoon!
Be sure to Pin and share this delicious appetizer recipe with your friends!
Homemade Veal Egg Rolls
- To prepare veal filling
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sesame oil together.
- Add ground veal and stir.
- Add minced garlic and ginger. Stir and cook until veal is no longer pink.
- Add shredded cabbages and carrots.
- Cook and stir 3-4 minutes.
- Remove veal mixture from heat.
- To make egg rolls
- Lie eggroll wrapper out on flat surface.
- With wet fingertips, trace along the outside edge of egg roll wrapper to dampen.
- Add 2 tablespoons veal mixture in corner of egg roll wrapper closest to you.
- Fold over corner of egg roll wrapper closest to you and being to roll, making sure it is a tight roll.
- After one roll, fold over corners on each side of egg roll to seal ends.
- Complete rolling wrapper and dampen edges with water to seal if needed.
- Cooking egg rolls
- Heat oil in skillet until about 375 degrees. You will want the oil to be at least 2 inches high.
- Place egg rolls in hot oil and cook until browned and crispy. Turn over and cook on 2nd side.
- Remove from hot oil and drain on paper towels.
- Alternate Cooking Method
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray egg rolls with cooking spray or lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes until browned and crispy.