These Chocolate Hazelnut Gingerbread Cookie Cups are a delicious, easy to make cookie treat for the holiday season! Made with Gingerbread cookie mix and shaped into cups with a tart shaper. Once baked they are filled with a chocolate hazelnut filling, topped with orange scented sugar.
These cookies fill the senses with warmth and comfort as soon as they are baking in the oven until the time you take your last bite! They speak to the holiday season and are a great cookie to include on your Christmas cookie tray!
I love making cookies for the holidays. I think it is quite evident by the many cookie posts I have on my blog, especially holiday cookie recipes! However, I don't always have the time to make everything I want to try so this year I decided to get a little help from Betty Crocker® and make these quick and fun Chocolate Hazelnut Gingerbread Cookie Cups a try! After all, I need to share cookies and spread some holiday
It all started with a pouch of Gingerbread Cookies Mix found at Walmart where they have a special selection with all types of cookie mixes! This made my life so much easier. Everything I needed was in that cookie pouch, plus just a few other ingredients to doctor it up.
Let's make these cookies!
You will start by mixing theBetty Crocker® cookie mix as per the package instructions. Once you have the cookie dough mixed, take 1 tablespoon (I use my small cookie scoop) and roll the dough into balls and place each ball into the cup of mini muffin pan.
Shape the tarts.
I have a special tart maker tool that I use to make the wells in the cookie cups. If you don't have one of these tools, you can just press the cookie into shape starting from the center of the cookie.
Bake the Gingerbread cookie cups.
The cookie package states to bake at 375, but that is if you are making cookies. Since I was baking these cups, I reduced the heat to 350. Bake for 10 minutes and pull out from the oven. You will want to take the tart press and press the cookie dough back down as it starts to rise while baking. Put the tarts back in the oven and bake another 5 minutes.
Let cookie cups cool about 10 minutes in the tart pan. Then remove them gently (I was able to use my fingers and they popped right out!) and sit on cookie cooling rack until completely cool.
Add the hazelnut spread to the cooled cookie cups.
This is the best and most fun part 🙂 You can just spoon the hazelnut spread into the cup or pipe it in. I like to pipe it in to give it a smoother look. I don't use anything special, just a sandwich baggie that I have put the hazelnut filling in and then snip the tip and pipe! Sprinkle with some sugar that you have rubbed some orange zest into if desired.
Chocolate Hazelnut Filled Gingerbread Cups
- 1 packet Gingerbread Cookie Mix
- 24 tablespoons Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make cookie mix according to package directions.
- Divide dough into 24 tablespoon sized balls.
- Spray small tart pan with cooking spray.
- Place dough balls in tart pan and press with tart press or fingers to form to shape of tart pan.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Make orange sugar by rubbing orange zest into sugar with fingers. It will become very fragrant.
- Remove cookie cups from oven and press center of cup back down into pan using tart press (or use a wooden spoon handle if you don't have a tart press).
- Place back in oven and bake another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove tarts from pan and place on cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Pipe or spoon hazelnut spread into cooled cookie wells. About 1-½ tablespoons per cup.
- Sprinkle with orange sugar.