This month the Allrecipes.com Allstars are jsharing with you recipes from the MyPlate section of allrecipes that we have shared with our families. When I think of family meals, I think how every night my mom had a sit down dinner for us. Something about those memories are so comforting and the fact that Grumpy and I really don't do it often is sad. This month I will be making a concentrated effort to make sure we do just that.
I want to invite you to join us in the Sunday Supper movement this month. It is a good habit to be in, having a family meal. I wish my own family were much closer so we could do this with them, but even a table for two is a family meal 🙂
I have been getting weekly deliveries from Field Goods, Fresh food from local farms. Last week in our delivery we had leeks. I was excited to get them but wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I also wanted to use the tomatoes I had received in my package - other than in a sandwich, which is what we did with the previous ones received. While browsing the MyPlate recipe selections I came across a recipe for Linguini Pasta with Shrimp and Tomatoes created by a fellow Allrecipe member Cindy. My wheels started turning in my head and I decided to take her recipe, use chicken instead of shrimp (I had chicken already thawed that I had to cook) and added the leeks into the picture. Oh. My. Goodness. Superb it was! I served it with a locally made basil pesto linguini and it was to die for. I will definitely make it Cindy's way with the Shrimp in the future, but I discovered that it was awesome my way too. 🙂
What are some of your family favorites to serve for a sit down meal?
- For the chicken:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
- For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, rinsed thoroughly and sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 lb linguini, cooked according to package directions
- To make the sauce: Over medium heat, sauté the leeks seasoned with garlic powder in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When leeks have softened (about 3-4 minutes). Add the chopped tomatoes, wine, and chicken broth. Simmer 30 minutes until tomatoes cooked down some. Add butter, salt and pepper.While tomatoes are simmering, toss chicken chunks with Cajun seasoning. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken chunks and cook until chicken is no longer pink. Cover and keep warm until tomatoes are ready. Serve hot over top of linguini.