This Crustless Broccoli Quiche is an easy vegetarian breakfast, lunch, or dinner recipe idea. Made with broccoli and sharp cheddar cheese this quiche forms a crust of its own while baking.
I love to serve this Crustless Broccoli Quiche for brunch on the weekends, or during the week as the main course with a side salad and this Macerated Berries with Mascarpone Cream for dessert!
The origin of this quiche recipe
I first came across this crustless broccoli quiche recipe when working weekends doing volunteer work for abused women. I was one of the cooks on these weekends and this broccoli quiche was a recipe made every single by one of the other cooks I was working with.
We loved this recipe so much, that I started making it at home. Any quiche that I don't have to make a pie crust for makes me happy!
Another great thing about this Crustless Broccoli Quiche recipe is that it can be made ahead of time. It is just as delicious warmed up in the microwave as it was the moment it came out of the oven.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
What you need to make a Crustless Broccoli Quiche
Broccoli Florets: The broccoli for this quiche needs to be cooked first if starting with fresh broccoli. If using frozen broccoli, just be sure it is thawed and drained before adding to the mixing bowl.
Flour: This is mixed into the quiche and is the ingredient that aids in forming the crust on this crustless broccoli quiche.
Baking Powder: Aids in the rising of the quiche. I only use aluminum free baking powder.
Cheddar Cheese: We love extra sharp cheddar cheese!
Milk: Any type of milk works here, dairy or non-dairy.
Eggs: I always use large eggs in my recipes unless otherwise indicated.
9" Glass Pie Dish: This is my favorite one.
A couple of tips to follow
- Be sure the cooked broccoli is cold and has been well-drained before adding it to the batter.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together before adding to the wet ingredients. This will ensure it is evenly distributed into the broccoli quiche.
- Test the quiche for doneness by inserting a toothpick or sharp knife into the center of the quiche. If it comes out clean, the quiche is ready to remove from the oven.
Make this recipe your own way
This is a great base recipe for crustless quiche! Shake it up some and make it your own way by some of the suggestions below:
- Substitute 1 (10 ounce) package of frozen, thawed, spinach for the broccoli. Be sure all water is squeezed out of the spinach before adding to the quiche mixture.
- Use your favorite cheese. Good substitutions are Swiss, Colby, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack.
- Sprinkle the top of the quiche with crumbled cooked bacon before baking.
- Stir 1 cup of diced leftover ham into the batter before baking.
- Cook fresh mushrooms and the onion with 2 tablespoons of butter, then add to the quiche batter before baking.
Other Vegetarian recipes you may like
*If you made this crustless broccoli quiche recipe, please give it a star rating*
Crustless Broccoli Quiche
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and onion.
- Using a wooden mixing spoon, add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until flour is combined.
- Stir in the cheese and broccoli.
- Pour the broccoli mixture into a 9″ pie plate sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake the broccoli quiche for 45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted