Chicken Enchilada Casserole is full of delicious Mexican flavors. Made with rotisserie chicken that is tossed with enchilada sauce and homemade taco seasoning. A cheesy cauliflower rice base takes the place of tortillas. This is a delicious low carb and keto-friendly casserole recipe the entire family will love.
On family dinner night, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the best recipe to feed a hungry family. This low carb version is so delicious, I don't have to make Chicken Enchiladas two different ways. It is just as easy to make as a casserole with tortillas. So, you can easily stick to your diet and enjoy delicious comfort food at the same time.
Casseroles make easy weeknight dinners
On family dinner night, the one thing I do not want to do is work in the kitchen. That is why this Chicken Enchilada Casserole is one of my all-time favorite dinner recipes to serve. You have the flavor of an enchilada in a casserole that everyone can eat no matter what their diet is.
Make-ahead meals are the best. They are super easy to reheat or just assemble and refrigerate until you are ready to eat dinner. Casseroles to make meal prep and clean up easy for those busy nights. They also make great dinners to feed the family for our weekly family dinner.
What you need to make this Chicken Enchilada Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases from affiliate links.
Cauliflower Rice is easy to make on your own, but you can buy it fresh pre-chopped (raw) or frozen.
Rotisserie Chicken is best if you have it available. Chicken breasts can be cooked and shredded in place of the rotisserie chicken. I used a whole rotisserie chicken, which came to 4 cups shredded.
Homemade Taco Seasoning. I love to make my own taco seasoning. I use it in many things I make, this Chicken Enchilada Casserole for one. This taco seasoning recipe is sugar-free and keto-friendly.
Cheese. I love to use a Mexican cheese blend. However, any cheese you want to use should work.
Enchilada Sauce is easily bought in a can. Keto dieters can buy a keto-friendly enchilada sauce that has no added sugar or modified food starch. This brand is the one I use and love. Or, you this Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce recipe has a sauce recipe that is sugar-free and keto-friendly.
Casserole Dish: This is my very favorite brand of casserole dishes. The blue one in my photos, however, is no longer available.
Mixing Bowls: I love these mixing bowls. They come in a set of 3, are stackable and have lids. Their colors and design make me happy!
Chicken Enchilada Casserole can be enjoyed by low carb, keto, and regular diets alike!
Many homes have a combination of different diets. And, making more than one version of a recipe can be daunting. So, I do my best to not do so.
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole can be enjoyed by those on keto and non-keto diets as is. Or for those non-keto family members, offer them an option that doesn't cause more work in the kitchen.
Low carb and non keto eaters can be offered the option of a tortilla. Corn tortillas, low carb or regular, can be warmed up and served alongside this casserole. I call this the Chicken Enchilada Casserole Taco. I love this low carb tortilla option.
Keto dieters will be happy to have sour cream, avocado, and black olives to top their casserole. I can promise they will love this dish without the tortilla.
Make this recipe your own
- Stir a 4 ounce can of mild green chiles into the chicken and enchilada sauce mixture
- Substitute the cauliflower mixture with refried beans or black beans. (low carb or regular diets only)
- Stir 1 cup of black beans into the chicken enchilada mixture.
- Substitute 1-½ pounds of cooked and crumbled ground beef for the chicken
- Substitute Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese for the Mexican Blend
- Swap out a red bell pepper for the yellow bell pepper
- Add ¼ of enchilada sauce to the cauliflower mixture
- Raise the heat level by adding extra cayenne pepper to taste.
Other low carb casseroles you may like
Anyone who loves fast food burgers will love this Big Mac Casserole. Similar to a cheeseburger casserole of old days, only without the carbs. This is my granddaughter's favorite casserole.
This Low Carb Lasagna Recipe is a small batch recipe that is full of delicious flavors. Made with palmini noodles in place of lasagna noodles, It is my favorite way to enjoy lasagna.
Low Carb Steak and Mushroom Pie is a delicious keto version of steak and potato pie.
These Cabbage Rolls are a low carb keto favorite in our home. The cauliflower rice works perfectly in this recipe.
*If you made this Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe, please give it a star rating*
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
FOR THE CHICKEN LAYER
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese for topping
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER LAYER
- 3 cups cauliflower rice steamed and cooled
- ½ cup Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup chopped tomato optional
- ½ cup chopped cilantro optional
- ¼ cup sliced black olives optional
- 1 chopped avocado optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the enchilada sauce, sour cream, and taco seasoning to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken, yellow pepper, and jalapeno pepper to the sauce mixture and toss to coat completely. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the steamed cauliflower, cheese, coconut flour, egg, and taco seasoning, mix to combine well.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to a 9x13 baking dish. Press with a spatula to cover the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top the cauliflower mixture with the chicken mixture, distributing it evenly.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and top with jalapeno slices (if using). Return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese has lightly browned.
- Serve with tomato, cilantro, black olives, avocado ( if using).