Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Buttered Rum Frosting are full of pumpkin flavor! Decorated with fall sprinkles, these make the perfect fall cookie! Great for parties or for sitting on the deck enjoying the fall weather with a cup of hot tea these soft pumpkin cookies are sure to give you that comforting feeling! These are also the perfect beginning to #PumpkinWeek!
Pumpkin Week is the time where a group of food bloggers bring you all things pumpkin! I am sharing with you my very favorite cookie for fall, the Soft Pumpkin Cookie with Buttered Rum Frosting. For me, this cookie is the first food I must make for the celebration of fall. Fat, soft, moist, full of pumpkin flavor all accented with the perfect pairing of rum! Of course, the fall colored jimmies top it off perfectly!
I have made this particular soft pumpkin cookie recipe for years now and all I can say, is it never fails me! It comes together quickly and easy and only takes 15 minutes in the oven to bake. Your house will smell heavenly!
Tricks of the soft pumpkin cookie flattening trade!
As I have made these over the years I have come up with a few tricks to have them turn out perfectly. My small cookie scoop is the best cookie baking tool. It scoops the perfect amount of dough for the cookies, there is only one problem. Sometimes the particular recipe is a dough that holds it shape when baking, like these pumpkin cookies.
I have tried many ways of flattening the dough out some. I've used the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar which works pretty well. I've also used the palm of my hand, which is not recommended. It's messy and the dough sticks to your hand. My biggest problem when trying to flatten the cookie out is the instrument used for flattening sticks to the cookie.
The solution I came up with that works perfectly for this recipe is the back of a silver spoon that has been dipped in water! Just dip the back of the spoon into a small amount of water before pressing each cookie to flatten it out some.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 -20 minutes, or just until they are dry on the top and no indentation is left when pressed slightly with your finger.
Cool and frost with a buttered rum frosting. These two flavors meld together perfectly and speak fall loud and clear!
What is your favorite pumpkin treat? Be sure to check out the links below the recipe for some more pumpkin inspiration!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee - Adorable Turkey Crust Pumpkin Pie
Palatable Pastime - Amish Pumpkin Roll
Caroline's Cooking -Double Pumpkin Gnocchi
Family Around The Table -Gigi's Spiced Pumpkin Pecan Bread
Feeding Big -Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal in the slow cooker
Cooking With Carlee -Lisa's Pumpkin Soup
The Crumby Cupcake -Mini Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecakes
Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks -Pecan Pumpkin Cobbler
The Freshman Cook -Pumpkin Bread
Making Miracles -Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze
The Redhead Baker -Pumpkin Brulee Tart
Love and Confections -Pumpkin Creme Brulee
Rants From My Crazy Kitchen -Pumpkin Glazed Bacon
Culinary Adventures with Camilla -Pumpkin Laksa
A Day in the Life on the Farm -Pumpkin Milkshake
Cindy's Recipes and Writings -Pumpkin Muffins
A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures - Pumpkin Pretzel Bites
The Bitter Side of Sweet -Pumpkin Spice Affogato
The Chef Next Door -Pumpkin Spice Granola
Be sure to follow me on all my social media channels to see what I'm sharing!
Want to receive free recipes in your inbox? Click here to Subscribe to Grumpy's Honeybunch and get my free Soft Cookie eBook!
Pin Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Rum Frosting!
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Butter Rum Frosting
For the Cookies:
- 2½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons nutmeg
- ½ teaspoons cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Icing:
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 tablespoons spiced rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon half and half
FOR THE COOKIES
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl using a hand mixer, mix the butter and sugar for 3 minutes, or until creamy. Add the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to the butter mixture and mix for 2 minutes or until creamy. Stir in dry ingredients.
- Drop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough on the baking sheet and flatten slightly. *tip: I flattened by using the back of a tablespoon that I had dipped slightly in water to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven or until cookies have puffed and are no longer wet on top. Cool the cookies completely.
FOR THE ICING
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, milk, melted butter, and rum. Add 1 tablespoon at a time as needed to achieve spreading consistency.
- Frost each cookie with the icing and sprinkle with fall colored sprinkles (if desired).