Flank Steak cooked to medium perfection and served in a bowl with wild rice mix, roasted butternut squash, and cilantro with a splash of lime juice! Butternut Steak Rice Bowl is a complete meal in a bowl that is healthy, delicious, and nutritious.
It is no secret that we love beef in this house! So, when I was presented with the opportunity to attend a New York Beef Council event a few weeks ago, there was no way I was turning it down! The opportunity to visit the gorgeous Finger Lake Region in the fall was not going to be a disappointment either.
We visited the Wilson Beef Farm as well as the Market location where they butcher and process all of their beef. It was a very interesting and informative experience!
From the farm to the table, we learned about how the cattle are raised and taken care of and on to how beef is processed, aged, inspected, and graded.
Our second day we moved on to how to cut the meat as well as the nutrition of beef and we were given some hands on experience!
The fun and learning of hands on experience!
I didn't realize how interested I would be in learning how to cut meat until I had my hands on experience. After this tour, I'm inspired to learn everything I can about the different cuts and how to use them! Pictured above on the top left is me, and a member of my team on the lower right of the collage is Ashley from Wishes and Dishes! We made a Marinated Asian Steak and Noodle salad with the meat that was cut!
I came home completely inspired and ready to start learning more about our food and where it comes from, as well as delicious ways to prepare it, such as this Butternut Steak Rice Bowl!
Now let's cook Butternut Steak Rice Bowl!
Today I am sharing a recipe with flank steak, which is a leaner cut of beef. This cut takes little time to cook, which makes it easy for those nights you need dinner fast! This particular meal takes a little longer to cook due to the wild rice and roasted butternut squash. I made this recipe on the weekend and it was good for a "steak bowl" lunch a couple of days during the week! So, while this may take longer than the 3o minutes for an easy weeknight meal, it is a perfect meal to make up and divide into lunch portions for later in the week!
Need help finding a lean cut of beef? I use the Interactive Butcher Counter as a guide!
- 16 oz. flank steak
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- lime (for garnish)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- Cooking Spray
- 2 cups wild rice mix
- 2 cups beef broth
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook wild rice with beef broth according to instructions.
- Place butternut squash on baking tray that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in oven and bake until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Whisk together lemon juice, lime juice, chili sauce, brown sugar, and fresh ginger. Divide sauce and set aside.
- Heat grill pan until hot. Coat with cooking spray. Place flank steak on grill pan and cook for 7 minutes. Flip steak onto other side, brush generously with ½ sauce mixture and grill 7 more minutes, or until temperature of steak reaches desired doneness. Remove steak from grill pan and let rest 10 minutes. Slice diagonally into thin slices.
- Assemble your salad bowl by placing ½ cup cooked rice, ½ cup butternut squash, and 4 ounces of thinly sliced steak slices. Drizzle with a teaspoon of sauce mixture and garnish with lime slices and cilantro.
The #BeefTogether Blogger Tour was sponsored by New York Beef and their associates. I was not required to blog about this post, nor am I being compensated for it. All opinions are my own.
PIN IT - BUTTERNUT RICE STEAK BOWL