This post is sponsored by The Beef Checkoff in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Pepper Crusted Sirloin with Warm Farro Spinach Salad - steaks that have a hot sear and finished in the oven paired with a warm salad bed of farro that has been simmered in beef broth, and tossed with spinach, and pan roasted grape tomatoes. A quick, easy and nutritious weeknight meal for your table!
While you see your fair share of indulgent dishes here on my blog, you also see just as many healthier for you recipes. Eating healthier in our home is always my goal to achieve so when I can make a recipe that is not only delicious, but is quick and easy to put on my dinner table, then I'm a real happy camper!
So, when invited by the Beef Checkoff to build a healthy plate with beef I was up for the challenge. I like to rotate meals during the week to include different proteins and change my table up and lean beef is one of our favorite proteins to choose from. The nutrition provided by the beef is just another reason to make it part of our weekly meal plan!
I recently accepted a new job that takes me home a little later in the evenings now and this makes it even more important to me to have recipes I can go to as quick, easy, and nutritious. There is nothing more comforting than knowing when I get home, in less than 30 minutes I can have dinner on the table and have minimal clean up after!
One of my favorite new whole grains I have found that helps make quick weeknight meals a goal I can achieve is 10-minute farro. I love the slightly chewy grain with its nutty flavor and creating a warm salad with it to pair with the steak was going to be a match made in heaven! Simmering the farro in beef broth with some Italian seasoning while the steaks and tomatoes are roasting in the oven makes it so easy and I even had time to do some clean up in the kitchen while dinner was cooking!
The beef I chose for this recipe is a sirloin strip steak that was cut about 1 inch thick and was the perfect choice for tenderness and flavor! The entire meal itself adds up to only 370 calories which makes it not only a perfect dinner, but a great lunch too should you have leftovers!
- 2- 8 ounce sirloin steaks, 1 inch thick, patted dry
- 1-½ tablespoons coarsely ground black peppercorns
- t tablespoon Olive oil for the pan
- 1 cup 10-minute farro
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Heat the oven to 500°F. Sprinkle the steaks with salt on both sides, and then press the ground peppercorns into the steaks on both sides. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add just enough olive oil to make a light film. When the oil is very hot, add the steaks, cooking until nicely browned on one side for about 3 minutes. Flip the meat over and put the skillet in the oven. Roast for 5 minutes. Transfer the steaks to a warm plate and tent with foil and let set for 10 minutes prior to slicing.
- To make the farro salad:
- While steaks are roasting, add sliced grape tomatoes to a small baking pan coated with cooking spray and roast tomatoes for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to add to salad prior to serving.
- Bring beef broth and farro to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach and cover dish for 5 minutes to let spinach wilt into farro. Remove lid and toss tomatoes into spinach farro mixture. Place salad on serving platter and top with thinly sliced steak strips.
Need some other quick, easy, and nutritious meal ideals for your busy weekday nights? Be sure to check out other recipes being posted this week for great ideas!
Tuesday: A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures – Grilled Teriyaki Steak and Noodle Salad
Wednesday: Meal Planning Magic – Bistro Style Steak and Onion Sandwich
Thursday: Magnolia Days – Pressure Cooker Mexican Beef Rice
Friday: Curious Cuisiniere – Skillet Swiss Steak
You can also get great ideas from previous beef posts on the SundaySupper Movement website!
For more terrific beef recipes:
Keep up with Beef Checkoff through their other social media.