Mexican Casserole

I have made several recipes from Bobby’s site, BlogChef.net.  He has such a great blog with so many recipes that we love.  I look forward to every email I get telling me he has a new blog post up!  Other recipes of his that we loved were Black Pepper ChickenParmesan Fish, Coconut Shrimp (Chinese Buffet Style), and Fried Rice. (the links all take you to my posts with photos, then links directly to Bobby’s recipes).  If you have not yet been to his blog, you really must go there.  He has something for everyone and I have to say, he is my most favorite resource for recipes that I know Grumpy will most likely love.

While looking for recipes to make for dinner this last week I came across a newer post of his for Mexican Casserole.  I looked at it longingly and then turned the laptop towards Grumpy and said, “I think this looks so good, but you probably wouldn’t eat it because it’s “Mexican”.”  Well, surprise me, Grumpy said, “I would probably eat that.”  I needed no more encouragement.  The recipe went on my menu for the week! Grumpy even participated in the making of this recipe which made me very happy since it was late by the time we needed to start making dinner.

Mexican Casserole

Bobby used scallions to top his recipe off.  I didn’t have any but what I did have was garden fresh cilantro that my mom and dad brought me.  Garden fresh herbs lasts MUCH longer than store bought once they have been cut.  I have had that cilantro almost 2 weeks now and its not even started to turn. Of course, the cilantro is what added the boost for me with this dish because I love it so much.  🙂

This Mexican Casserole is a great addition to any big potluck gatherings, family reunions, game day celebrations, etc.!

Mexican Casserole

Mexican Casserole

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 packet taco seasoning blend
  • 1 -15oz can fat-free refried beans
  • 1 cup thick and chunky salsa
  • 2 cups taco flavored shredded cheese
  • Fritos Scoops (or your favorite corn chip)
  • 1/2 cup sliced black olives
  • 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
  • chopped fresh cilantro - LOTS of it 🙂
  • Optional: Sour Cream for topping if desired.

Instructions

1. Cook beef, drain, and add seasoning blend with water according to packet instructions. Set aside.
  2. Heat refried beans until warm.  Stir in salsa and 1 cup of cheese.  Set aside.
  3. Crush enough Fritos to cover the bottom of a 8x8 square baking dish.  Layer with bean mixture, next with meat mixture and then top with remaining 1 cup of cheese and sliced black olives.
  4. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through. (mixture will still be warm when you assemble, so it is likely you will have a hot casserole once the cheese is melted anyway!).
  5. Remove from oven, top with chopped tomatoes and cilantro.  Serve with extra Frito Scoops.

Notes

If you have leftovers you could either reheat and eat, or fill a tortilla and warm for lunches, wrap burrito like and heat in the oven of sear in a hot skillet "Taco Bell" style.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes

1. Pegasuslegend August 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Our second favorite food! Wow this looks good and its easy to fix… I know this will be on our menu this week! Hubby will love love love it!

2. Denise @ Creative Kitchen August 20, 2011 at 1:12 pm - Reply

This looks really good! I love cilantro also. I hear you either love it or hate it. I've really enjoyed the flavor of taco meat lately so much that I've been putting it in my omelettes!

It is SO good mixing it with refried beans…also when you add cream cheese. Mmmm…..can't wait to try this or a variation soon.

Oh yeah…totally agree about the Frito Scoops. I buy very little processed food, but a couple of my recipes just scream "scoops." Especially my bacon tomato dip. They're addicting! 🙂

3. Fallon August 20, 2011 at 1:25 pm - Reply

That looks so good. I use to not like cilantro but I just started liking it a few years ago. It just grows on you!

I make a Mexican lasagna that Rachael Ray makes by tweaking it a little but this is somewhat similar expect there are layers of corn tortillas. The leftovers are great! I just never had a chance to blog about it but the photos weren't nice looking. 😉

4. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook August 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm - Reply

This looks so good, I wish I had the ingredients to make it tonight! I love your addition of cilantro–love that stuff! I think it would be good with the scallions AND the cilantro!

Thanks for sharing!

5. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme August 20, 2011 at 2:37 pm - Reply

I love this recipe, Shelby! Mexican is one of my favorites, too. I love those combinations of flavors topped off with that fresh, bright tasting cilantro. Yum. Yum!

6. Inspired by eRecipeCards August 20, 2011 at 4:08 pm - Reply

Such Beautiful colors Always tough to cook for someone else. It sounds terrific!

7. Mads August 20, 2011 at 5:52 pm - Reply

Funny, I just made a Mexican casserole last night.
    Since I know you are such a big fan of CL, here's the recipe:
    It has made the regular recipe rotation because we love it so much.
    I do love me some Fritos though. I might have to try your recipe too!

8. Cookin' Canuck August 21, 2011 at 4:16 am - Reply

What a pretty casserole! I'll definitely have to stop by Bobby's site.

9. Tessa August 21, 2011 at 4:48 am - Reply

We've made several of Bobby's recipes too. Love his chinese recipes.! This ooks really good. We're Mexican "fans here, and quick meals are always a plus!

10. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen August 21, 2011 at 1:36 pm - Reply

Beautiful picture and what a flavorful dish. Mexican is my favorite!

11. Jennifer Sikora August 21, 2011 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I enjoyed participating in Presto Pasta Nights.

Your mexican casserole looks delicious.

12. Curt August 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm - Reply

That looks great. I was sold as soon as I got to the refried beans part. Being from Texas, I love Mexican food.

13. teresa August 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm - Reply

i am definitely pinning this, how yummy! right up our alley, and i love the cilantro. i sooo miss being able to grow our own herbs, i agree, they're so much better!

14. Aggie August 22, 2011 at 2:02 am - Reply

I saw you post this on FB and it gave me cravings, this looks so delicious! I can Mexican so many times a week, it's just one of my favorite foods.

15. Coleen August 22, 2011 at 8:39 am - Reply

I've been so hungry for something like this…perfect timing!! Thank you for sharing.

16. CookiePie August 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm - Reply

That looks great and sounds delicious – perfect for a busy weeknight!

17. Cindy August 23, 2011 at 7:13 pm - Reply

This would be a hit at our house too. With garden tomatoes and fresh cilantro this will be delish. Yes, one must have Frito Scoops. I'll have to check out BlogChef. Where have I been? Have a great day.

18. michele August 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm - Reply

i agree this is a good meal for a weeknight and looks colorful and welcoming.

19. Bizzy B. Bakes August 24, 2011 at 1:10 am - Reply

Easy to make and presents beautifully. Kudos.

20. Mari August 25, 2011 at 2:11 am - Reply

Shelby, your pasta sauce look scrumptious. It one of the best I have seen. If it wasn't so late I would go to the kitchen and prepare some right now. Already saved the recipe! Have a great evening 🙂

21. I confess..... August 19, 2013 at 12:24 pm - Reply

I substituted green onions for cilantro. It was excellent tasting. This is going in my cookbook.

22. Mary Bostow March 11, 2014 at 4:08 pm - Reply

I am so making this! I love all things Mexican and so does my husband, he's from Texas!

23. HeiLin (Heidy McCallum) March 11, 2014 at 9:02 pm - Reply

Awesome recipe for a Mexican dish

24. bellini March 12, 2014 at 4:09 am - Reply

It looks so delicious Shelby. I also love your new header by the way:D

25. Sandra Shaffer May 13, 2014 at 2:34 pm - Reply

This looks so good! I can never eat enough Mexican food. Perfect for a busy mid week!!

26. Dan from Platter Talk June 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm - Reply

This is a great combinations of ingredients and sounds so easy (and delicious) to make. I love the cilantro addition and your use of fat free refried beans. It's only 07:30 in the morning here and this post make my stomach growl! Nicely done 🙂

27. Claudia Lamascolo May 2, 2017 at 6:23 am - Reply

that looks great!

28. […] Mexican Casserole from The Life & Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch is chock full of #Tex-Mex flavor, featuring […]

29. Miriah October 18, 2019 at 7:40 pm - Reply