Every year I love making cookie recipes that are “different”.  Ones that not everyone else is making (or that I can see they aren’t making them…)  I am always attracted to cookies that have ingredients such as browned butter, Grey Sea Salt, caramel, almond, rum, chocolate, mint…..and the list can go on and on….

Years ago, I remember Price Chopper used to carry these Almond Croissants.  You could only buy them on Sunday because that is the only day of the week they would make them.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) they stopped making them. I’m sure they were far from low fat being a croissant and all.

I have never forgotten that yummy treat.  I would buy 3 or 4 whenever I happened to be there on a Sunday and they had them out.  Then, while I was particapting in the Daring Baker’s, we made the Danish Braids – which turned out much like my coveted crossiants as I used the almond filling in my braid.  Yummy!  However, I’m lazy, and making those braids are too much work for me unless it is a really special occasion.  So, most of the time I just  “dream” about almond filled treats.
Until today.

I decided that I was going to make a bonbon – a cookie that was filled with almond paste and glazed with an amaretto glaze then decorated festively.
Oh my goodness.  If your an almond fan then these easy to put together cookies are a must make for your cookie tray this year!  I’m packing these up today and putting them in the freezer until we head north this weekend to visit family and take care of business.  I’ll be sharing with the kids….and I especially know Justin will love this one!

What cookies are you making this year?  Fill out the link form below and share your favorites with me!  Feel free to leave a link to your own page or someone else’s!  I will start out by guiding you to some of my very favorites from the years past!  Enjoy!

Almond Filled Bonbons

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons milk
8 oz almond paste

glaze:
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
8 tablespoons amaretto (cause I’m a boozy kinda girl – you can use milk if you wish – but if you do, add some flavoring – almond or vanilla would work!)
Decorator sugars

Preheat oven to 375.  Using electric hand mixer, mix butter, sugars, flour and milk.  Dough will be stiff.
Using a tablespoon, scoop out a scant tablespoon of dough.  Using a teaspoon, scoop out a teaspoon of almond paste.  Shape dough into a ball, covering the teaspoon of almond paste.  You should get close to 4 dozen cookies using this method.

Bake 10 – 12 minutes or until set and bottom is golden brown.  Remove from cookie sheet and cool.

Make glaze and spread over top of cooled cookie.  Sprinkle with decorator sugars and enjoy!

1. amanda @ fake ginger November 28, 2010 at 10:12 pm - Reply

Those look fantastic! I can't wait to make them!

2. bellini valli November 28, 2010 at 10:17 pm - Reply

I make a chocolate chunk shortbread cookie that has toasted flour…so good. I love sea salt caramel too. These bon bons of course would be perfect for the holidays.

3. jm November 28, 2010 at 11:08 pm - Reply

these are so incredibly cute and festive! 🙂

4. Jamie November 28, 2010 at 11:13 pm - Reply

These look so yummy. What a perfect cookie for the holidays.

5. Megan November 29, 2010 at 3:53 am - Reply

What a fun cookie. I love almond flavor and would love to try these with the almond paste!

6. Cookin' Canuck November 29, 2010 at 4:08 am - Reply

These are so pretty! The almond paste inside looks so good.

7. susies1955 November 29, 2010 at 8:36 am - Reply

Awesome. They look great.
    Hope you are doing well downstate. 🙂
    Susie

8. Maria November 29, 2010 at 2:45 pm - Reply

Love these! They are so cute and festive!

9. Ingrid November 29, 2010 at 4:47 pm - Reply

We love almond filled anything!
    ~ingrid

10. Nichi November 29, 2010 at 4:56 pm - Reply

Those look delicious… I must make some! Thanks for sharing!

11. moderncomfortfood November 29, 2010 at 8:21 pm - Reply

Bonbons? Amaretto? Almond paste? Yes please!

I thought I had my Christmas cookie list already sorted, but I must add these to the list too. The flavor sounds addictive, and they are so very pretty too!

12. Mags @ the Other Side of 50 November 29, 2010 at 11:36 pm - Reply

I'm a boozy kinda gal myself. These look delicious… and so pretty!

13. Debbie November 29, 2010 at 11:49 pm - Reply

I also love different cookies – something out of the ordinary. Those look delicious! I'm still trying to decide which Christmas cookies I want to make this year.

14. RJ Flamingo November 30, 2010 at 9:48 am - Reply

How interesting! They look just like the Bon Bon Cookies I posted about last weekend, except that I modified the 1956 Betty Crocker recipe by adding cocoa to make the cookies chocolate, and used peanut butter cups as the fillings. I even wrote about dipping them in the plain frosting.

I guess great minds think alike, and this may be the year of the Bon Bon!

15. meltingbutter.com November 30, 2010 at 10:07 am - Reply

wow, these look so precious! great work!

16. briarrose November 30, 2010 at 12:52 pm - Reply

These look wonderful and delicious. There is nothing more cheerful than a lovely plate of holiday cookies. 😉

17. Evan B November 30, 2010 at 1:04 pm - Reply

Congrats on Top 9! These look absolutely delicious.. I can't wait to add them to my cookie list!! 🙂

18. Patsyk November 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm - Reply

I love these cute little bonbons! Almond is one of those addictive flavors for me… I wouldn't be able to stop at just one!

19. Kim Kelly November 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm - Reply

Absolutely amazing! We have a bakery downtown that makes a number of almond confections. I love them all, but have never really made many of my own. I've also stayed away from melting white chocolate as I've not always had the best experiences, until this year. I made a bon bon sort of candy for Christmas an using Guittard chips (can't find them now!) it all worked like a dream.
    These little bon bons will definitely be on our tray!
    Your photos are stunning… the little pieces of sugar are so sharp, nicely done!
    Ah,… and congrats on a well deserved top 9 as well!!

20. Hester Casey November 30, 2010 at 7:27 pm - Reply

They're so pretty and so almondy – my kind of bonbon. The decorations are very dainty. They'd make stunning foodie gifts.

21. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme December 1, 2010 at 2:06 am - Reply

Such pretty cookies! They totally look like Christmas. And that filling…wow! Delicious!

22. Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog December 2, 2010 at 1:05 am - Reply

I know that bonbons have my name inside not almond – superb!

Cheers,

Gera

23. sweets in bulk January 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm - Reply

These really looks good and delicious.Bon-bon refers to any of several types of sweets, especially small candies enrobed in chocolate.
    The first reports of bonbons come from the 17th century, when they were made at the French royal court. In modern French, the term simply refers to any type of small candy.

24. mommy on a mission December 4, 2013 at 1:09 am - Reply

they look great im going to make them to night

25. Anonymous December 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm - Reply

I just made these and they are fantastic! I added black food coloring to the bonbon and shaped them like squares. They look like cute little lumps of coal! I will be bringing them to a cookie exchange in a few days! Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

26. Miriah October 27, 2019 at 11:20 am - Reply