CheeseF HB

For the month of October the Cooking Light Virtual Supper club decided to cook with wine. For me this would be a bit of a challenge because I don’t really drink wine much less know what to buy for cooking with it! I checked with my friend Cathy of the Noble Pig to see what she would suggest would be a good white wine for cheese fondue. Cathy came back with a few suggestions and I was able to find the Kendall Jackson Chardonnay without much effort and the fondue turned out delicious! It was great with apples but I also enjoyed it with some crusty french bread!

BreadHB
Before you leave, don’t forget to go check out our other virtual supper club member’s posts today to see what they brought to our table.

Red Wine Pear Crisp with Spiced Streusel Aggie from Aggie’s Kitchen

Cheese Fondue with Apples – Shelby from The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch

Cheese Fondue with Apples

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Emmenthaler or Swiss cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 garlic clove, halved
  • 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 teaspoon kirsch (cherry brandy)
  • 3 apples, each cored and cut into 9 wedges (I used Granny Smith)
  • Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cheese, and nutmeg, tossing well.
  • Rub cut sides of garlic on inside of a medium, heavy saucepan. Add broth and wine to pan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
  • Add one-third cheese mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk until combined. Repeat procedure with remaining cheese mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 5 minutes or until smooth, stirring frequently.
  • Remove cheese mixture from heat; stir in kirsch. Pour mixture into a fondue pot. Keep warm over low flame. Serve with apple wedges.

1. Jamie October 13, 2009 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    I love anything cheesy and that fondue looks so good. What a great way to start a meal. Thanks for "bringing" this to our supper….now I need to make it so I can actually taste it!

2. Barbara Bakes October 13, 2009 at 12:55 pm - Reply

I don't usually cook with wine, but love a good cheese fondue. A perfect way to start your supper club!

3. Bellini Valli October 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm - Reply

I just love cheese fondue and make it often for special occasions. This really made our virtual supper special.

4. Cookie baker Lynn October 13, 2009 at 3:17 pm - Reply

Cheese fondue is a wonderful way to get people to come together. They have to, to reach the pot, plus they get to play with their food, so it makes a fun atmosphere for dinner.

5. Ingrid October 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Looks good HoneyB! While I don't drink I do have a bottle of white wine in the fridge that I use for recipes that call for some. Needless to say it's been in ther quite some time.
    ~ingrid

6. Aggie October 13, 2009 at 5:44 pm - Reply

I love cheese fondue…but have never made it at home. That looks delicious!!

7. Helene October 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm - Reply

I can't wait to try this fondue after a day skiing. Looks yummy.

8. Cooking Light eds October 13, 2009 at 7:40 pm - Reply

MMMmmmmm… One of the best things about seasons with colder weather is the chance to share warm things around a table with friends. This looks like just the dish for such occasions. Very nice supper club choice!!

9. Lynda October 13, 2009 at 8:05 pm - Reply

This looks so tempting and good! I wouldn't know what wine to use either, butlooks like it turned dout delicious!

10. Susie October 13, 2009 at 9:33 pm - Reply

I made cheese fondue for NYE a few years ago… so yummy. I rarely just DRINK wine, but I love to cook with it. I buy the little bottles that come in a 4-pack (a bunch of different kinds are starting to be available all the sudden in my store). Nothing beats a red-wine mushroom gravy with beef. YUMMY!

11. Kathleen October 13, 2009 at 9:49 pm - Reply

This looks wonderful! I make cheese fondue every year on Christmas eve-eve. This will be the recipe we have this year!! Thanks for sharing! YUM

12. Katy ~ October 13, 2009 at 10:45 pm - Reply

Yummmy, creammy -liciousness going on here!!

13. Lori October 14, 2009 at 10:21 pm - Reply

Oh my this looks so yummy. Shelby, really, all your stuff is amazing.

14. Megan October 16, 2009 at 1:32 pm - Reply

I love cheese fondue (of course) and haven't had it in such a long time. Maybe Christmas eve would be a good time to change that. seems wierd, I'm already thinking of Christmas eve dinner. LOL

15. noble pig October 17, 2009 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Wow, that did come out good. I could easily eat this for breakfast!

16. Linda October 18, 2009 at 3:41 am - Reply

I love fondue. Believe it or not, we had it back in the 70s. Your photos make my mouth water.

17. Essay Writers February 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm - Reply

M-m-m-myami)))
    Can try almost all fruits!

18. webthesurfi rugs webdesign March 2, 2010 at 6:06 am - Reply

wow i love fruits.

19. english to urdu translation March 20, 2010 at 10:24 am - Reply

ymmmy…. very delicious…

20. Term Papers April 5, 2010 at 7:09 am - Reply

Nice post.

21. nejam April 11, 2010 at 4:42 am - Reply

Its one of my favorite post. Thanks for sharing informative information.

<a href="http://www.plantar-fasciitistreatment.com>planta fasciitis treatment</a>

22. davidbieber80 August 22, 2010 at 4:44 am - Reply