This was my first time ever making lasagna rolls. I probably wouldn’t have ever thought of making them if I hadn’t watched Giada make them on Everyday Italian. One of Grumpy’s favorite meals is lasagna. Can you believe that lasagna is one of my least favorite things to make? I don’t know why, maybe its because I don’t like how it comes out of the pan. It never seems to turn out well for me. BUT I believe I have finally found something that will satisfy Grumpy and me! It will satisfy Grumpy because it is lasagna (however next time I have to use beef or venison for him). I will be satisfied because it is easy and pre-portioned!

This is my submission for Presto Pasta Nights. Ruth (the creator of PPN) will be doing the round up tomorrow so make sure to check out the PPN Blog for this!

Lasagna Rolls
Everyday Italian

Sauce:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole milk (I used 1%)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg

Lasagna:
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese (I used part-skim)
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry (I didn’t use because I didn’t have)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (I used half parm and half romano)
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
1 large egg, beaten to blend
3/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting water
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
2 cups marinara sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella (about 4 ounces)

To make the sauce: Melt the butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 minutes. Whisk the salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the bechamel sauce. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 cup Parmesan, prosciutto, egg, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend. Add a tablespoon or 2 of oil to a large pot of boiling salted water. Boil the noodles until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Arrange the noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking. Butter a 13-by-9-by-2-inch glass baking dish. Pour the bechamel sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish. Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, then spread about 3 tablespoons of ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle. Starting at 1 end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay the lasagna rolls seam side down, without touching, atop the bechamelsauce in the dish. Repeat with the remaining noodles and ricotta mixture. Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle the mozzarella and remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmesan over the lasagna rolls. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the remaining marinara sauce in a heavy small saucepan over medium heat until hot, and serve alongside.

1. Fearless Kitchen June 4, 2009 at 2:16 pm - Reply

This looks good! While I love lasagne, I understand what you mean about not liking how it comes out of the pan. Such a mess! These rolls are a great solution to that problem. Venison lasagne…. now there's an idea…

2. Hillary June 4, 2009 at 3:11 pm - Reply

This looks like such a great addition to Presto Pasta Nights. I love lasagna noodles and anything made with them.

3. the ungourmet June 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Mmm! I saw a recipe like this in my Taste of Home cookbook. I have been thinking about making it. Yours looks even better with the spinach and prosciutto in there! I will go check out Presto Pasta Nights. :0)

4. Patsyk June 4, 2009 at 3:52 pm - Reply

Looks wonderful! I love making lasagna as rolls for the same reason – portion size!

5. Gaby June 4, 2009 at 4:06 pm - Reply

These looks so delicious… its only 9am here right now and I am pretty sure this would make an excellent breakfast!

6. Katy June 4, 2009 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Looks sooooo very very YUM! I have a favorite lasagna recipe, but I must give this one a try. Looks too good to pass up. Bon appetito!

7. Jessie June 4, 2009 at 5:05 pm - Reply

This looks great, lasgana turned into rolls so creative.

Giada is such a great inspiration. Her dishes always make me want to cook

8. duodishes June 4, 2009 at 5:41 pm - Reply

Giada definitely comes up with some good recipes. The pre-portioned size is perfect.

9. the happy couple June 4, 2009 at 8:53 pm - Reply

these look so yummy! and i love the idea of sneaking in some spinach. i bet my hubby would never know!

10. Mrs. L June 4, 2009 at 9:02 pm - Reply

I have this cookbook so I'll have to look this up and try it!

11. pigpigscorner June 4, 2009 at 9:47 pm - Reply

Looks absolutely gorgeous! I love making lasagna too, I like seeing the layers.

12. Coleen's Recipes June 4, 2009 at 11:35 pm - Reply

Your photo is way above fantastic and I agree with you about lasagna being a pain to serve. Your idea of rolling it up is excellent!

13. CookiePie June 5, 2009 at 12:07 am - Reply

Yum yum yum — I want to come to your house for dinner!!

14. dessertobsessed June 5, 2009 at 12:53 am - Reply

wow these look so yummy and fun to make!

15. The Hungry Mouse June 5, 2009 at 1:52 am - Reply

Oh, just brilliant! I love it!

+Jessie

16. Pam June 5, 2009 at 4:44 am - Reply

I can't wait to make this – I love lasagna. This is such a fun way to make it.

17. tamilyn June 5, 2009 at 6:24 am - Reply

Wow Shelby, these look fantastic!

18. Mary June 5, 2009 at 10:55 am - Reply

Looks so fantastic !

19. Bellini Valli June 6, 2009 at 12:27 pm - Reply

These lasagna rolls are the perfect way to enjoy the lasagna flavours we all love so much. This dish is open to many possibilities.

20. Di June 6, 2009 at 3:20 pm - Reply

Yum! Those look delicious! I want to try this one.

21. Tracey June 8, 2009 at 3:01 am - Reply

I've watched Giada make these so many times and every time I say I'm going to make them. I finally picked up the ingredients so hopefully I'll get to it soon 🙂 They look so delicious!

22. Kevin June 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm - Reply

I like the sound of a lasagna roll. It looks tasty!

23. Creative One June 9, 2009 at 3:51 pm - Reply

This a great way to make lasagna, I love to have it look nice when it comes out of the pan and this is the perfect way to get that. Your photo's look fantastic!!

24. JyLnC June 10, 2009 at 6:24 pm - Reply

This looks heavenly! I hate making lasagna, too. My problem is that it's a little messy to construct and I like to make easy recipes. I love the dish and make it at least once a year. As far as having it serve nicely, I always let mine rest before trying to cut and serve. It helps. :>)