Homemade Berry Rhubarb Jam. One of our newer family favorite recipes and one of the best ways to use rhubarb! Sweetened and thickened with jello, this is easy to make and even easier to eat! Perfect in sandwiches, on toast, or baked in the center of a cookie or tiny tart!

I contemplated doing this post for the Family Recipes post. Just one problem. It is a new family recipe. So I don’t think I am going to let this one count. It can be a memory for me though. It can also be something my children can have for their future remembrance. What does this have to do with family?

Overhead view of homemade berry rhubarb jam in jar

Well, mom gave it to me. But is it is a new recipe to her of the Better Homes and Gardens new cookbook edition I gave her for her birthday in April. It will become a family recipe because it is awesome, easy to make and Chris likes it! I’m sure Justin will too. Chris has already taken a jar home and Justin will be getting his jar soon.

I used mom’s jam in my Strawberry Tart recipe. The photos here are of the jam I made yesterday morning. This is such a simple recipe. It has only 4 ingredients and takes very little time. It made about 8 cups of jam all together. If you have never made jam because you thought it was too time consuming or hard to do, then you really need to try this recipe. It is also a great way to use rhubarb that is in season right now!

side view of jam in jar
Berry Rhubarb Jam on toast

Homemade Berry Rhubarb Jam

Ingredients

• 6 cups fresh rhubarb, diced
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 cups raspberries
  • 1 package raspberry jello (do not use sugar free)

Instructions

1. Mix the rhubarb and sugar in a large saucepan. Let sit for 15 minutes, stirring often.
  2. After 15 minutes, cook rhubarb and sugar mixture on low burner until rhubarb is soft. It will look very liquidy. Add 2 cups of raspberries. I'm sure strawberries would work here also (slice strawberries before measuring). Cook mixture until it begins to thicken, stirring often.
  3. Remove mixture from heat and stir in jello mixture. You can set aside to cool, or immediately pack in jam jars. Once jam has cooled in jars you can store jars you won't be using soon in your freezer.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. the ungourmet June 1, 2009 at 8:00 pm - Reply

I am so ready to make jam! I have my jars sitting, waiting patiently for some farm fresh berries!

Yours looks DELICIOUS!

2. Bellini Valli June 1, 2009 at 8:32 pm - Reply

I can see why this would turn into a family favourite Shelby:D

3. Coleen's Recipes June 1, 2009 at 8:39 pm - Reply

What a beautiful jam!! I really enjoy making jam and make several batches every summer. What GREAT photos!!

4. Barbara Bakes June 1, 2009 at 9:00 pm - Reply

I have the perfect recipe to use this jam in!

5. Mags June 1, 2009 at 9:06 pm - Reply

I’m thinking that jam would be mighty tasty on top of a bagel. Yummy looking!

6. pigpigscorner June 1, 2009 at 9:42 pm - Reply

I great use of rhubarb! I’ve yet to have the courage to use them.

7. Gera @ SweetsFoods June 1, 2009 at 10:24 pm - Reply

Very appetizing and color jam 🙂

I’d like to try it for my breakfast, surely it’s delicious.

As you guess I adore berries and it’s an interesting combo with the rhubarb!

Cheers!

Gera

8. Katy ~ June 1, 2009 at 11:56 pm - Reply

HoneyB, that jam looks so good! Oh my!

9. Linda June 2, 2009 at 12:44 am - Reply

This looks so good! I found some rhubarb growing in one of my gardens this year…probably compliments of a friendly bird!
    I can't wait to try it!

10. Linda June 2, 2009 at 1:19 am - Reply

Did you or Grumpy take that big bite out of the toast? 🙂 Makes a very pretty jam.

11. Reeni♥ June 2, 2009 at 1:55 am - Reply

This looks delicious! I love how easy it is to make, now we have no excuses!

12. Maria June 2, 2009 at 1:56 am - Reply

I have four rhubarb plants. I hope they are still thriving when I get home so I can make this jam and some other treats!

13. Nila Rosa June 2, 2009 at 2:12 am - Reply

yum yum yum. My goal this summer is to make at least 1 jarred item.

I am suddenly craving a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

14. Megan June 2, 2009 at 2:20 am - Reply

I love the idea of the jello in this jam. I gotta try it! So it’s a freezer jam? No processing, just freeze? Thats way to easy. I’m on the lookout for rhubarb!!! And raspberrys. 😉

15. Laura June 2, 2009 at 2:31 am - Reply

This looks wonderful–and I know just what you mean about new family recipes. Could you just add sugar to sugar free jello?

16. pixelhazard June 2, 2009 at 3:28 am - Reply

Yum!
    Question: Is it worth making jam from scratch. There’s lots of yummy jams you can buy from the store…I’m grappling over the idea

17. Creative One June 2, 2009 at 3:30 am - Reply

Yummy, this would be a real hit with me!

18. HoneyB June 2, 2009 at 10:01 am - Reply

Thanks for the comments!

Linda, my dad came over and planted two plants at my place yesterday afternoon! I’m excited for next year now!

Granny, that is my big mouth that chomped into that toast. Do you really think Grumpy would be willing to take a bite and then let me photo it? ha ha. 😉

Laura, I’m not positive why they say not to use sugar free but the recipe specifically states not to use it. It could be because of the gelatin part? I don’t know for sure. I did a quick internet search but haven’t come up with an answer yet. If someone else has that answer though, please feel free to let us know!

19. Ingrid June 2, 2009 at 2:09 pm - Reply

Oh, I’m so excited! I think this is a jam recipe I can do and have success with! Thanks for sharing! It just might be a new family recipe for us!
    ~ingrid

20. Christine June 2, 2009 at 3:41 pm - Reply

Looks delicious! I was going to make this Strawberry-Rhubarb Crisp (a recipe from a book I was reading), but rhubarbs didn’t pop up in time til right after the Memorial Weekend.

Question: did you do anything special to jarring the jam in order for it to last?

21. Patsyk June 2, 2009 at 4:42 pm - Reply

Looks positively wonderful! I made some strawberry jam last year, but may have to try this recipe and includ rhubarb this year… yum!

22. Pam June 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Love this jam – my husband is a huge rhubarb fan, I'll have to make this for him.

23. Kevin June 8, 2009 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Homemade jam is the best!

24. Caitlin June 18, 2009 at 11:59 pm - Reply

This looks yummy and not intimidating at all…love the idea of rhubarb jam!

25. Dazy July 10, 2009 at 6:25 am - Reply

I'm giving this a try. And would give my kids with bread at tiffin for school. They would just hug me for this.

26. Irina September 21, 2009 at 5:48 am - Reply

The half bite slice on the image is really tempting me to go and give a bite before its all over. A new preparation that I've learnt from you and I'm sincerely planning to throw a kitty this week end. so that I can invite all my good friends and prepare the Jam for them as a surprise

27. Cookin' Canuck July 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm - Reply

I have never made jam, but would love to have a few jars of this in our fridge. My husband is a big fan of rhubarb, so this would be very popular in our house.

28. Cajun Chef Ryan July 6, 2010 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Canning is such a great way to save especially when you have a garden. A friend of ours just canned a huge tomato crop this weekend.

Years ago we had several fig trees in our back yard and would can up some preserves, they were always great to have year round.

This jam looks like a great one too!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

29. jo oliver July 6, 2010 at 2:32 pm - Reply

Looks like a delightful treat for breakfast or a snack:)

30. MaryJanes and Galoshes August 24, 2010 at 2:25 am - Reply

This looks so yummy. Thanks for the craving!

Tayor

31. beverlyz August 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm - Reply

I love anything raspberry! This jam makes me want a cream cheese toast spread with raspberry!

32. Experimenting jams June 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm - Reply

I made this and found the raspberry jello made it TOO sweet for my tastes.

33. Shelby June 28, 2011 at 1:20 am - Reply

Experimenting Jams – I did say in my post that I would cut more sugar myself if I made it again. You can cut the sugar more to reduce sweetness if its too sweet for you.

34. Anonymous January 21, 2020 at 3:38 pm - Reply

35. […] Many people like to preserve rhubarb by canning it into a sauce, similar to this Sugar-Free Rhubarb Sauce. Another way to preserve rhubarb is to make a homemade rhubarb jam. […]

36. […] Homemade Berry Rhubarb Jam […]