Glorified Rice Featured Image

Glorified Rice is a cold dessert salad made with rice, crushed pineapple, marshmallows, sweetened whipped cream, and maraschino cherries. A popular salad for reunions and potlucks, this recipe takes plain old rice and glorifies it with sweet delicious flavors!

My Experience With Glorified Rice

A classic, old-fashioned recipe, Glorified Rice is a creamy, sweet, and delicious no bake dessert. I first encountered this dish in elementary school! As a child, I wouldn’t want to buy my lunch too often. But, if I saw that glorified rice or apple crisp was on the dessert menu, you can bet I was not packing my own lunch that day!

As a child, who could really resist sweet cream, cherries, and marshmallows? Not only that, the recipe at school would have the rainbow marshmallows in it and that made it even prettier to look at.

What Is The Best Rice To Use

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

This can be a pretty controversial subject. However, my answer would be long grain white rice, or something like jasmine or basmati rice. Long grain rice is slim and long (hence its name) and stays fluffy and separate after cooking. That makes long grain rice, the perfect choice to make Glorified Rice.

I have known others who use minute rice, the instant type rice that is ready in just a minute. However, to me, it is just mushy and has no bite. I don’t recommend it for this dish.

What About The Whipped Cream

Never have I ever heard anyone say they loved a non-dairy whipped topping over heavy whipped cream. Ever. Well, unless maybe they can’t consume dairy. But even then, non-dairy folks probably would prefer the real thing over the fake.

Don’t get me wrong here, I do use non-dairy whipped topping sometimes. But if you can afford to splurge on calories, the real deal is the winner here.

Marshmallows In A Rice Salad

Marshmallows in a rice salad, and a sweet rice salad, sounds kind of crazy doesn’t it? Let me tell you, there is something magical about marshmallows in this Glorified Rice salad! And, the longer the salad sits, the texture of the marshmallow changes. It doesn’t disappear, but it kind of puffs up more and is not as firm.

Marshmallows all taste the same in my opinion. Unless you buy specific flavors, and believe me, they are out there! The most common marshmallow for this recipe is the pastel colored mini marshmallows. If you have kids, then they will love this. They even have fruity flavored marshmallows now days!

I went with regular mini marshmallows in this recipe, but only because at the time I wanted to make Glorified Rice, I couldn’t find the colorful marshmallows in the store.

Tips and Substitutions

• I recommend cooking the rice the day before and store it in the fridge until ready to use so it is cold when you are ready to assemble the salad
  • Use a long grain rice for a fluffier and better bite
  • Be sure to drain the pineapple. I use a mesh strainer and press the pineapple to extract all the juice.
  • Substitute 2 cups of non-dairy whipped topping.
  • Substitute fresh pitted cherries for the maraschino cherries.
  • Stir in 1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans

Other Retro Dessert Salad Recipes You May Like

Watergate Salad is a pistachio dessert salad made with pistachio pudding, whipped topping, pecans, marshmallows, and coconut.

Oreo Fluff is a cookie salad made with instant pudding mix, non-dairy topping, and mini marshmallows

Glorified Rice Featured Image

Glorified Rice

A sweet dessert salad with pineapple, cherries, marshmallows, and whipped cream.
0 from 0 votes

• 1 13.5 oz can crushed pineapple
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream whipped
  • 2 Tablespoons drained chopped maraschino cherries
  • 6 whole maraschino cherries for garnish

Instructions

• [mv_schema_meta name="mix rice component"]In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, cherries, and pineapple. Set aside. [mv_img id="26108"]
    mixing rice, pineapple, and cherries
  • [mv_schema_meta name="whip cream"]Add the whipping cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla In a separate mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, blend until heavy cream is thickened. [mv_img id="26112"]
  • [mv_schema_meta name="fold in cream"]Fold in whipped cream [mv_img id="26111"]
    folding in whipping cream
  • [mv_schema_meta name="add marshmallows"]Stir in marshmallows and chill up to 4 hours. To serve, top with extra maraschino cherries.[mv_img id="26110"]
    stirring in marshmallows

Video

Notes

Tips and Substitutions

• Use a long grain rice for a fluffier and better bite
  • Substitute 2 cups of non-dairy whipped topping.
  • Substitute fresh pitted cherries for the maraschino cherries.
  • Stir in 1/2 cup chopped roasted pecans

Nutrition

Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 19mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g

1. pigpigscorner February 9, 2009 at 11:41 am - Reply

I’m always a bit skeptical about sweet rice. But your creation sounds really delicious!

2. Medena (-Melitta-) February 9, 2009 at 12:44 pm - Reply

I read the title, and the first I thought was “heaven”. Love how it sounds, and looks, yummy!

3. Tangled Noodle February 9, 2009 at 1:48 pm - Reply

I love rice in any form but sweet, creamy rice is a particular favorite. Thanks for this easy recipe!

4. Jessie February 9, 2009 at 2:05 pm - Reply

this reminds me of rice pudding! your version is ten times better than the traditional rice pudding 🙂 so yummy!

5. CookiePie February 9, 2009 at 2:07 pm - Reply

I love this – it’s like ambrosia and rice pudding rolled into one! Looks so pretty too 🙂

6. shellyfish February 9, 2009 at 2:17 pm - Reply

I was just thinking about glorified rice…it was one of my dad’s favourites when I was little and my mum made it often. I loved the stuff, and have been thinking about it for the past week! Yours looks fabu!

7. Barbara Bakes February 9, 2009 at 2:22 pm - Reply

I would love this version of rice pudding!

8. Spryte February 9, 2009 at 2:28 pm - Reply

Minus the marshmallows & cherries, my mom used to make that for me on Easter… She called it rice pudding. YUM! Thanks for sharing!

9. Cami @ Creating Myself February 9, 2009 at 2:44 pm - Reply

It's Caeden's turn to spend the night tonight, he loves pineapple & I have left-over rice in teh fridge. Guess what he's getting for dessert tonight?

Hope Grumpy had a good birthday! And you are so sweet to make Bub (are you sure you don't live in Texas? *grins*) a birthday treat!

10. recipes2share February 9, 2009 at 3:22 pm - Reply

looks fantastic – I love cherries too!

11. Bob February 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm - Reply

Oooo, that looks good! I bet my girlfriend would love it.

12. Laura February 9, 2009 at 4:26 pm - Reply

I have never been a rice pudding fan, but this totally sounds like something I can do. It’s seems more of a fruit salad with rice in it.

13. Pam February 9, 2009 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Mmmm. This looks so light, fluffy and delicious. Extra cherries please.

14. Ros February 9, 2009 at 5:07 pm - Reply

I like adding cinnamon, sugar and a little milk to my leftover rice. This looks so good that I think I’ll try it next time instead!

15. Ingrid February 9, 2009 at 5:41 pm - Reply

I’ve never heard of Glorified rice. Interesting recipe!
    ~ingrid

16. Laura February 9, 2009 at 7:08 pm - Reply

My kids would LOVE this.

17. Stephanie February 9, 2009 at 8:16 pm - Reply

That’s the fanciest, Valentiniest rice pudding I’ve ever seen! How fun. 🙂

18. Clumbsy Cookie February 9, 2009 at 10:57 pm - Reply

That’s the most darling rice pudding ever!

19. Katy February 10, 2009 at 12:10 am - Reply

HoneyB, you are a sweetie, and it’s reflected in all the goodies you cook! You’re right. More cherries!

20. Reeni♥ February 10, 2009 at 1:17 am - Reply

It’s so pretty!!! I bet it tastes as good as it looks. I used to pretend like I had a stomachache so I would get to have Pepto. I thought it was candy or something.

21. Creative One February 10, 2009 at 1:19 am - Reply

Looks yummy! You can’t go wrong with extra cherries.

22. Kevin February 11, 2009 at 3:06 am - Reply

This sounds so good! Pineapple would be great in a rice pudding.

23. Jerri - Simply Sweet Home February 12, 2009 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Interesting combination. And it definitely looks good!

24. J.Danger February 13, 2009 at 11:48 pm - Reply

this looks so good! I love how pretty it looks too!

25. Susie February 21, 2009 at 10:40 am - Reply

You’re driving me NUTS with all of this food. 🙂 I mean that in the nicest way.
    I’m in the process of losing my winter weight that I gain EVERY year and doing great but I had to try this recipe.
    YUMMY! It is so very good. It was all gone in two days although I let my husband eat a big share. I will certainly make this again.
    Thanks for driving us crazy.
    Hug,