When Grumpy found out I would be cooking beef for "Beef. It's what's for dinner" Allrecipes Allstar assignment this month, he was quite happy. Then, when I informed him that I was making for a first dish, this Pesto Steak and Arugula Pizza, he was concerned. Too funny Grumpy. I showed him I knew how to grill a steak after all. Grumpy liked this pizza, but he was mostly impressed with the steak and how well I cooked it (thanks to Beef. It's what's for dinner and allrecipes.com and the meat thermometer they sent me).
I have always been more of a fan of vegetarian foods since I grew up around it, I just seemed to prefer it over meat. However, with an iron and b-12 deficiency, I have started eating more beef for the nutrition I can get from it! You can find great nutrition information on the "Beef It's What's for Dinner website". You should check it out!
- 1 lb boneless beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 - 16 ounce package refrigerated whole grain pizza dough (such as Pillsbury)
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup baby arugula, slightly chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Season steaks as desired (I put a dry rub on mine). Place steaks over medium heat on preheated gas grill and grill for 13 to 16 minutes until medium rare (145 degrees F) to medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Combine pesto and lemon juice in small bowl. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 10x15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place dough on baking sheet and pat dough to edges of baking sheet. Spread dough with remaining 3 tablespoons pesto mixture. Top with tomatoes and cheese. Bake in 425 degrees F oven, 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Carve steak into slices; season with salt, if desired. Top pizza evenly with arugula and steak slices; sprinkle with red pepper, as desired.
PESTO STEAK AND ARUGULA PIZZA - PIN IT