I recently received Kohlabri in one of my Field Good's deliveries. Sure I thought, that is a pretty cool looking vegetable, but what on earth was I going to do with Kohlabri?! I did some searching and found a few recipes, but none that appealed to me at that very moment. Then I read that Kohlabri was similar to broccoli. That is when this quiche was born.
Kohlabri Green Quiche
By Shelby Law Ruttan
- leaves and stem of 3 kohlrabi plants, chopped
- 2 tablespoons diced shallot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1-½ cups almond milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅔ cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Wash, drain, and chop Kohlabri leaves and stems. Place in steamer and steam until stems are tender. About 15 minutes. Once cooled, chop leaves and stems again for finer pieces, then squeeze excess water from leaves. Set aside.
- In small skillet over medium heat, saute shallot and garlic in olive oil until shallots are translucent. About 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Stir in cheese and Kohlabri leaves and stems.
- In another bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Stir into egg batter.
- Place batter into a quiche pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Top with halved grape tomatoes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a knife comes out clean when inserted into center of quiche. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.
Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 25 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 45 mins.
Total time: 70 mins.
Tags: Kohlrabi, Kohlrabi Greens, Quiche, Eggs, Brunch, Tomato