These Easy Lemon Bars are made with a buttery sweet shortbread crust base and a tangy delicious lemon curd filling. Sprinkled with a little bit of confectioner's sugar right before they are served, they make a pretty, elegant and tasty dessert recipe to serve your family.
Easy Lemon Bars are a great spring dessert bar recipe. The fresh and tangy citrus flavors are bright and remind you that spring is right around the corner. These are great to serve for dessert, or enjoy one with a hot cup of tea for an afternoon snack.
The Best Easy Lemon Bar Recipe
This is the best lemon bar recipe I have ever made. The crust baked up perfectly and the filling set up well. The lemon bars came out of the baking dish with no troubles, no parchment paper needed to lift and remove the bars from the dish.
Citrus is known as the wake up fruit and the tang that comes with these lemon bars is one that is so very addicting. I'm a huge fan of lemon curd and would eat it by the spoonful, so makes sense I would also love these bars.
What Is Needed To Make Lemon Bars
All purpose flour
Confectioner's sugar (for sprinkling on top of the bars, nice to do but not required).
Fresh lemon juice is best.
Citrus juicer and microplane zester, this is my favorite citrus juicer and favorite microplane zester.
8 X 8 glas baking pan with lid
Electric mixer, I highly recommend this one.
Tips and Substitutions
- In a pinch, pre-squeezed lemon juice can be substituted for the fresh lemons.
- Substitute blood orange juice, grapefruit juice, or Meyer lemon juice for the lemon.
- Be sure to whisk the eggs until they are well combined and slightly foamy. This prevents clumps of egg baking in the filling.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before sprinkling the confectioner's sugar on top and cutting them. If they are warm, the bars will dissolve the sugar.
Other Lemon Dessert Recipes To Try
*If you made this Easy Lemon Bar recipe, please give it a star rating*
Easy Lemon Bars
FOR THE SHORTBREAD CRUST
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
FOR THE LEMON FILLING
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
TO MAKE THE CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. In a medium sized bowl, using a hand mixer, blend the butter sugar until creamy. Gradually add the flour to the butter mixture at low speed until mixture is crumbly.
- Transfer the flour mixture into the bottom of an 8 X 8 inch pan and press evenly across the bottom of the pan. Bake the crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
TO MAKE THE LEMON FILLING
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer at medium speed, mix the eggs until foamy. Add the sugar, lemon juice, flour, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt. Mix until well-blended.
- Gently pour the lemon mixture over the partially baked crust. Return to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until lemon filling has set. Cool on a wire rack. Sift powdered sugar evenly over top of cooled bars.