This post is written by me on behalf of the sponsors for #AppleWeek. All opinions are my own.
Creamy, smooth, and buttery with no actual butter in the recipe! I have made this Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Butter for years now and it never fails to amaze me how buttery and delicious it tastes and feels!
To make this recipe you will need:
Years ago I found a recipe for making apple butter in the slow cooker. While it is delicious on it's own, one time I decided to up the ante a little and add some caramel pieces to a batch. It turned out so golden and beautiful and had just enough of that caramel flavor to it to make it a "special" treat for fall!
Adding good quality flavoring to your apple butter is important also. Rodelle, one of our sponsors for #AppleWeek is a great choice! I also love their almond extract. I am a HUGE almond fan too!
When I make this apple butter, I always start it on the stovetop to break the apples down first.
The caramel pieces are added about an hour before the end of cooking time.
After the apple butter has cooled down, I will refrigerate it for a day (overnight is fine too) and then, because butter is smooth my friends, I whiz it up in my magic bullet to give it that consistency. Even though it has cooked all day in the slow cooker, you have to give the apples a little help.
I love to eat apple butter on toast. That would be my favorite way and has been since I was a little girl. However, you can enjoy it in so many different ways! For instance, I have a recipe for Apple Butter Pecan Sticky Buns that is a perfect use of apple butter! I also have been known to dip sharp cheddar cheese slices into it. Yeah. That is SO good!
Thank you to the sponsors for AppleWeek!
This was my first experience with Rainier Fruit, and let me tell you, we were FAR from disappointed. Their apples were so incredible. Not a single one was wasted. As a matter of fact, they were fought over!
Rodelle's extracts smell amazing and add that "something" that is needed in many sweet recipes. I had never used the Veggie Wash before, and let me tell you, I will be using this product going forward. I absolutely love it and it is so easy to use! (Yeah, I just bought some more on Amazon yesterday!)
As for Pyrex, this is a longstanding product that has been used in my home and in my mother's home for years. The name speaks for itself and I love how they have added the beautiful designs to their collection! By the way, this dish works perfectly if you decide to make those Apple Butter Pecan Sticky Buns!!
Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Butter
- 3 pounds apples peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup caramel bits
- Place apples in large dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until apples start to break down, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except for the caramel bits, then transfer to slow cooker. Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.
- During the last hour, stir in the caramel bits. Do not replace cover slow cooker, rather let it cook the last hour with the lid off.
- Once the apple butter has cooled, place in refrigerator to cool. You can now eat it as is, or you can blend it to make the consistency more smooth and buttery.