This fuss free, easy to make Slow Cooker Clam Chowder is thick, creamy, and full of delicious clams making it a perfect comfort food and chilly evening meal! Thanks to my fellow blogging friend Sarah Olson and her new cookbook The Magical Slow Cooker I have discovered that there is more to slow cooking than just roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes!
Slow Cooker Clam Chowder
By slightly adapted from The Magical Slow Cooker
- 1-32 ounce container chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup diced leeks
- 5 cups peeled and diced white potatoes
- ½ tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1-8 ounce package reduced fat cream cheese, cut into chunks
- 2-6.5 ounce cans minced clams, drained OR 1 lb fresh steamed clams
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Oyster Crackers, Paprika, and fresh thyme leaves for serving
- Combine the chicken broth and cornstartch in a 6-quart slow cooker until smooth. Add the potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours without removing the lid during cooking time.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add ½ of the potato mixture and broth to blender (secure lid well and cover with towel to prevent burning or explosions!) Pulse until smooth. Add this mixture back to the slow cooker. Add clams and stir. Keep on warm until ready to serve. Serve with Oyster crackers, sprinkles of paprika and fresh thyme leaves.
Yield: 5 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Cook time: 08 hrs. 00 mins.
Total time: 8 hrs. 15 mins.
Tags: Seafood, Soups and Stews, Clams, Comfort Food, slow cooker, Cookbook review, blog tour