This month the Virtual Supper Club is bringing you brunch! My contribution is this delicious
Swiss Tomato Saysage Strata!
Swiss Tomato Sausage Strata
I don’t know about you, but weekends always mean brunch to me.  My weekdays are so hectic that I am lucky to get out the door with protien shake in hand or even a packed lunch at times.  I don’t remember it being so hectic when the kids were home, maybe it was, or maybe I was younger and had more energy back then!
Swiss Tomato Sausage Strata
The original recipe for this strata is for Bacon Cheddar and Tomato, however, I had no bacon (shocker!) but I had turkey sausage.  When I think cheese and tomato, the natural combination to me is swiss, not cheddar.  Hence, Turkey Sausage, Swiss Chees, and Tomato Strata was born.  This was delicious and since Grumpy and I don’t eat a whole casserole by ourselves, I halved the recipe.  Still, at that I took leftovers to work and shared with co-workers.  Loved this recipe and I hope you will too!
Be sure to check out the rest of our menu by visiting the member’s posts!

I brought this Turkey Sausage, Swiss Cheese and Tomato Strata.

Swiss Tomato Sausage Strata
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 large egg whites
Instructions
  1. Cook turkey sausage in non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
  2. Arrange 2 cups of bread cubes in bottom of small baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 2/3 cup cheese, half of sausage and onion mixture, and tomato slices. Combine milk and remaining ingredients and stir well with a whisk. Pour half of milk mixture over tomatoes. Top with 4 cups bread cubes, 2/3 cup cheese, remaining sausage and onion mixture, tomato slices, and remaining half of milk mixture.
  3. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. You can also prepare this the night before and chill overnight.
  4. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 minutes. Sprinkle with 2/3 cup cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

1. Renee Paj September 4, 2014 at 1:42 pm - Reply

I love stratas and this one looks like a winner!

2. Carrie R September 4, 2014 at 3:02 pm - Reply

Oooooo… this looks perfect for a weekend brunch! Yum! 🙂

3. Jenny Hartin September 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Looks delicious Shelby!

4. Patsy K September 4, 2014 at 4:16 pm - Reply

I love weekend breakfasts like this! We can't manage much more than scrambled eggs on weekdays between all of us trying to get out of the house early!

5. Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads September 4, 2014 at 10:07 pm - Reply

This looks like a perfect breakfast, Shelby! I love that it's made with turkey sausage!

6. Michele @ Flavor Mosaic September 4, 2014 at 10:25 pm - Reply

I love stratas. This would be a breakfast we would love.

7. Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! September 4, 2014 at 10:38 pm - Reply

Oh yeah, weekends = brunch for sure. This looks great! Definitely want to try it out on my family!

8. From Valeries Kitchen September 5, 2014 at 12:16 am - Reply

We love a hearty breakfast on the weekends and this would totally do it with way less guilt! I use turkey sausage all the time for all sorts of things. Love this one, Shelby!

9. Jen September 5, 2014 at 12:30 am - Reply

This is my kind of breakfast! Love all the fresh herbs!

10. bellini September 5, 2014 at 2:21 am - Reply

Perfect brunch fare Shelby. Thanks for bringing it to the table;-)

11. Sherri Jo September 5, 2014 at 9:39 am - Reply

This looks amazing! Weekends are my favorite time for breakfast <3

12. Life Tastes Good September 5, 2014 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Fantastic!! I am always looking for new breakfast recipes and this one has all the wonderful flavors I love!! Thanks, Shelby!!

13. JDeQ September 7, 2014 at 3:27 pm - Reply

This looks amazing. I think the switch ot tukey sausage instead of bacon is a great one!

What a shame our dinner is only virtual. 🙁

14. Pam September 19, 2014 at 3:05 pm - Reply

OH MY! this Strata is beautiful.