Crispy fried tofu triangles are tossed with the Spicy Baby Bok Choy Stir-Fry, creating this a tasty and satisfying weeknight dinner!
Spicy Baby Bok Choy Stir-Fry

This month, for The Secret Recipe Club, I was snooping around on Ilona’s Kitchen and came away with a whole lot of links taking me to yummy recipes that I want to try!  We seem to have a lot in common.  Wife, Daughter, Mother of two.  Not to mention our taste for spicy food.

Spicy Baby Bok Choy Stir-Fry

My recipe choice to share became a full meal instead of just being a side dish. By adding some dry fried tofu triangles to the recipe, I turned this into a meal!  I used vegetable broth in place of the water in the recipe and cut the oil in half.  I also added about a teaspoon of cornstarch to the sauce before putting it in the pan and sauteed the garlic with the bok choy.  Oh, and I added a little red bell pepper for a little contrasting color.  My tofu, was pressed and dry fried to a crisp and added to the sauce then I tossed the bok choy with the sauced up tofu.

Spicy Baby Bok Choy and Tofu Stir-Fry
  • 1/4 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Instructions
  1. In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, fry tofu triangles until crispy over medium high heat, turning pieces onto all sides to crisp up.  This might be a little time consuming, but very worth it!  Remove tofu from pan and set aside.
  2. While tofu is dry frying, chop baby bok choy into bite sized pieces, separating the white bottoms from the green tops.  You will cook the white bottoms before cooking the leafy green.
  3. Make sauce mixture by mixing vegetable broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper and cornstarch.  Set aside.
  4. Place sesame oil in hot skillet along with garlic.  Sizzle about 30 seconds then place the white part of bok choy in pan with garlic.  Stir fry about 2 minutes.  Add the leafy part of bok choy to pan and stir fry another minute.  Transfer bok choy to a bowl and set aside.  Pout sauce mixture into hot skillet and bring to a simmer.  Simmer sauce until it begins to thicken.  Add crispy tofu to sauce in hot skillet and toss to coat.  Return bok choy mixture to skillet and toss with tofu and sauce.  Arrange stir-fried bok choy and tofu mixture on platter and squeeze juice of 1 lime over top of mixture before serving.

1. AmandaE March 4, 2013 at 6:58 pm - Reply

I'm a huge fan of bok choy and tofu – in fact that is what I had for lunch today 🙂 Needless to say I think this was the PERFECT SRC pick!

2. Camilla Mann March 4, 2013 at 7:22 pm - Reply

That looks delicious – and fast! I will have to give it a try soon. Nice SRC pick.

3. Lisa~~ March 5, 2013 at 2:42 am - Reply

Love bok choy and the flavors you used sound amazing!

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Loaded Potato Soup.

Lisa~~

4. Lesa @ Edesias Notebook March 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm - Reply

What a beautiful dish, Shelby! A great healthy meal. I haven't cooked with bok choy before; I don't know what I'm waiting for!

5. Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings March 5, 2013 at 11:00 pm - Reply

what a great recipe- yay for src 🙂

6. Cooking Rookie March 6, 2013 at 3:49 am - Reply

Such a nice and simple recipe! Great choice for SRC!

7. Jersey Girl Cooks March 8, 2013 at 2:05 am - Reply

Love this colorful dish. Great recipe choice!

8. honeyb March 8, 2013 at 4:48 am - Reply

Why do I have a feeling Grumpy doesn't eat tofu? 😉 That looks good enough to try. I've only tried tofu a few times.
    Funny you called it "snooping" around your SRC blog. That's how I always feel, like I'm snooping. 😉

• Shelby March 8, 2013 at 11:51 am - Reply

But Grumpy DOES eat tofu. 🙂 Gotcha 🙂 He prefers it crispy and only likes certain sauces, but the one tofu dish he can eat the "crap" out of that isn't cirspy tofu (his words) is the Red & White Cauliflower Bake that I have posted on my blog here.

9. TeaLady March 8, 2013 at 9:50 pm - Reply

This looks really good! (Well, without the tofu)

10. Moviegirl03 March 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I've been looking for more tofu dishes to try. This looks great. We've never tried Bok Choy either, so it'd be a great dish for trying something new. Great choice for SRC!

11. Justin March 11, 2013 at 5:26 pm - Reply

This looks delicious! I've never had tofu but maybe someday I can break out of my ways and give it a try. There's nothing too scary about it right? 🙂

12. Jeff @ Cheeseburger March 13, 2013 at 3:00 am - Reply

This is an excellent twist to the original recipe. I love that you have made it into a main dish.

13. yung@foodyoo.com March 18, 2013 at 12:48 pm - Reply

It seems like a typical stir fry dish. I like it with tofu. Tofu stir fry with scallion is yummy, maybe can try to add some. And I like to add some rice wine too when stirs fry vegetables. Then serve it with rice. Wow…it is so delicious. 🙂