This is my first ever official Gluten Free post.  Neither Grumpy or I need to eat gluten free, but the number of friends we have that do seems to have really grown.  However, two things prompted me to make these goodies.  Price Chopper and my friend Theresa.
How did Price Chopper prompt me?  They invited me to a baking class that was going to feature two cookbook authors, one of them being Elizabeth Barone.  Elizabeth is the author of Easy Gluten-Free Baking.  and has her own website with free recipes.
I had photos of the event but since I loaded them onto my computer the hard drive has failed and I can’t retrieve the photos.  So, until Justin (my favorite computer programmer and wonderful son) tries to recover any data from the dead drive I don’t have any of my files that were on my computer.  Big lesson – back your computer files up every day that you use them because one day you may lose every one of them!
If I had to eat gluten free I wouldn’t be missing out on anything when it came to whoopie pies!  Even Grumpy said they were good (and more than once!)!  This is definitely a recipe to make if your craving some goodies and can’t eat gluten.  I believe I made my friend Theresa, who was visiting me and who is gluten free, very happy!  Grumpy will be taking a few of them to a co-worker who is gluten free and who doesn’t get to eat the other goodies I send with him to work.
Below are some of the other bloggers I met at this event.  Link will take you to their blog post about this same event.
Thank you to Price Chopper for the invitation, my registration fee was comped in exchange for blogging.

Gluten-Free Mini Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
recipe from Easy Gluten Free BakingPrintable Recipe

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch or potato starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

Wet ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened (I used unsalted)
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Marshmallow Filling
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  In a large bowl of a cream together butter and sugar until thick (I used a hand mixer however Elizabeth uses a stand mixer – either will work!  Add eggs, one at a time and mix until incorporated,  Scrape sides of the bowl as you are going along.
Add half of the dry ingredients.  Mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Add pumpkin and vanilla extract.  Mix until combined.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until a thick batter forms.
Using a small cookie scoop, place batter on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, about 2 inches apart.  Bake until cakes are golden brown and firm to the touch.  This took about 15 minutes with the mini cookies.

Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.

While cakes cool, prepare filling.  In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and vegetable shortening until light and fluffy.  Use high speed on a handheld mixer.  Add the powdered sugar and mix until combined.  Add the marshmallow creme and vanilla extract.  Mix until fluffy.
Sandwich cooled whoopie pies together with marshmallow filling.

1. bellini October 17, 2011 at 9:26 am - Reply

For those with gluten intolerance these whoppies would be a welcome treat, but then from the sounds of it so we would all.

2. Shelby October 17, 2011 at 9:37 am - Reply

Definitely Val…if I was told I had to eat gluten free it might be difficult at first, but knowing there is gluten free food out there that does taste good would be encouraging!

3. claudia @Whats cookin October 17, 2011 at 10:45 am - Reply

These are perfect cookies, and you did a great job making them healthier tasting and the look is perfect.

4. honeyb October 17, 2011 at 11:38 am - Reply

Wow, you've never guess those were gluten free. They look great!

5. Suzanne October 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm - Reply

Wow, they turned out perfect! Congrats, they're beautiful! Great post and sweet to do something so nice for your friend. 😀

6. vanillasugarblog October 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm - Reply

its amazing how many good recipes we have now for those in need of gluten free. i mean even walking thru whole foods they have a whole isle dedicated to it.
    these look good Shel!

7. Fallon October 17, 2011 at 2:53 pm - Reply

mmm that actually sounds really good. I think this is the first time I've seen a gluten free whoopie pie!

8. Elizabeth Barbone October 17, 2011 at 11:57 pm - Reply

These look fantastic! I am so glad you were able to have fun with the recipe!

9. Nutmeg Nanny October 18, 2011 at 3:51 am - Reply

Yum! I love whoopie pies!

10. Anonymous October 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm - Reply

Thanks for thinking of Phil's coworker that can't have gluten (that would be me!). These were a very welcome treat on a cold fall morning. I was just complaining to my husband last night that I was getting sick of the lack of variety in my food life.

Thanks again!

Heather

11. marla {family fresh cooking}a October 18, 2011 at 1:34 pm - Reply

These are the ultimate pumpkin whoopie pies!

12. Kathleen October 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm - Reply

Another hit Shelby! Who knew gluten free could be so delicious?!!!

13. Donalyn October 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm - Reply

they look so good and anything pumpkin draws me right in!

14. Tangled Noodle October 19, 2011 at 1:58 am - Reply

Gluten-free or totally wheat-y, these pumpkin whoopie pies look so tempting! I've used rice flour in baked recipes before, but usually for cookies or Filipino treats. It's great to see that it can work for more cake-y recipes, too! 😎

15. Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} October 19, 2011 at 3:51 am - Reply

Those look delicious! I've never tried baking gluten-free but I want to. Thanks for sharing!

16. Rachelle September 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Oh Shelby, these sound wonderful. You know I am gluten free (and blog it), I have been craving pumpkin lately but have limited my sweets also. I may have to break that. 🙂