Chocolate Coated Caramel Apples are a deliciously perfect treat to make for your little halloween hooligans!
Chocolate Coated Caramel Apples

You know its the fall season when you see things like pumpkins, butternut squash, apples, and caramel.  :o)  I love caramel and I really love caramel apples but they are a special treat I will only make in the fall right around Halloween time.  So, I was tickled pink to see that Jane of The Heritage Cook had Chocolate-Dipped Caramel Apples on her blog.

I was given Jane’s blog for this month’s Secret Recipe Club assignment.  I have been reading her blog right along for quite some time now and I enjoy the segments on her blog like “Chocolate Monday’s” and “Festive Friday’s”.  I felt with our reveal day being on Monday that I would follow suit and do something that also had chocolate.  Then I found the Caramel Apples.  Oh my goodness.  I knew immediately that I was going to make them and I not only made them once but twice!
The first time I only dipped 4 apples, shared one with Grumpy and the other 3 with friends at work.  I had a good amount of caramel left over so I cut them into pieces and wrapped them in wax paper.  I ended up taking a few of these caramel pieces to work for one of my friends who told me she had shared her apple with her dad and that he loved the caramel and that I should just make some of the caramel.  🙂  Little did he know that I already had some and he became the receiver of what I had left at home after I heard that he enjoyed it so much!

Chocolate Coated Caramel Apples

I also made Jane’s Pumpkin Bread recipe but I did not take photos.  I was intrigued with how she had you mix chunks of butter into the batter….that was very different to me and while I did exactly as she told, I was nervous about it!  I should have known better though because it turned out fabulous and I will make that recipe again since I didn’t get to eat much of it.  I didn’t glaze the loaf I made but the next time I make it I will definitely be trying out the glazes also – the loaves look so yummy with the glazes!

Grumpy pretty much consumed the loaf of bread on his own as I made it for him to have while I happened to go back home for the weekend to spend time with my mom, dad and children, not to mention re-list our house (click to view, maybe you’d be interested in the old country home on almost 10 acres? The mls is 27092 if it doesn’t pop right up)  :o)

I had a great time this last month going through all of Jane’s blog and will continue to use her as a resource!  She offers a lot of knowledge and great recipes.  Make sure you check her out!

Chocolate-Dipped Caramel Apples
from The Heritage Cook

2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces and softened
1/2 tablespoon butter rum extract (Jane uses 1-1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla extract)
1- bag semi sweet chocolate chips
candy sprinkles, crushed toffee, cookies, nuts – you name it, whatever you may like to decorate the apples with!
10 apples, washed and stems removed (I used Honeycrisp apples that I bought at Indian Ladder Farms)

Bring sugar, corn syrup, and honey to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Once it starts to simmer, wash the sides down with a pastry brush and water to remove any sugar crystals.  Cover and cook for 3 minutes.  Remove cover and wash down sides once more.  Insert candy thermometer and cook syrup until it reaches 305 degrees.

While syrup is cooking, bring heavy cream to a simmer and keep warm until caramel is to temperature.  Once Caramel reaches 305 degrees, add butter and cream….slowly.  The syrup will bubble madly when you are stirring in the butter and cream.  Once incorporated, return pan to burner and boil until it reaches a temperature of 250 degrees.  Remove from heat and transfer to smaller bowl to allow covering apples easier.  Let cool 10 minutes.  Dip apples and let cool until caramel has hardened.  I put them in the refrigerator to help the speed up the process.  You may then dip the caramel apples in different varieties of chocolate and toppings.

1. bellini October 10, 2011 at 11:10 am - Reply

These always remind me of Hallowe'en. Momused to make them for us as well! Dipping them in chocolate is the piece de resistance.

2. Melissa @IWasBornToCook October 10, 2011 at 12:19 pm - Reply

Yum. I have caramel apples on the list to make with my daughter this season. Such a fun thing to do with the kids!

3. Mari October 10, 2011 at 12:32 pm - Reply

I like caramel apples. These looks DELICIOUS, the chocolate makes it extra special! I would love to try this version of honey caramel, sound pretty easy to make. Thanks

4. Curt October 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm - Reply

It just doesn't get any better than this! Chocolate AND caramel!

5. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook October 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm - Reply

That looks amazing, Shelby! Nice choice!

6. Heather Davis October 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm - Reply

These look so good! Have added to my favourites so I can make them at home with the kids. Great choice.

7. Lisa~~ October 10, 2011 at 2:55 pm - Reply

I need to make these with Maisie, she would have so much fun and love them. Yours are gorgeous looking.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

8. veggiegrettie.com October 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm - Reply

Those look amazing!

9. Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook October 10, 2011 at 5:24 pm - Reply

Hi Shelby, What a treat to have you as my SRC Buddy this month! Thank you for all your kind words. This is one of my favorite recipes and I make them every year for The Artist! I am so happy you love them as much as we do!

10. Erin October 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm - Reply

These are awesome! Love the idea of chocolate and caramel with apples – so yummy!

11. Amanda October 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm - Reply

Ummmm holy cow and wow!?! These look fab Shelby!

12. Sara October 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Looks absoultely delicious! I love caramel apples! 🙂

13. Katherine Martinelli October 10, 2011 at 8:27 pm - Reply

Oh wow, these look unreal!! So tempting and perfect for Halloween!

14. Ruchi M October 10, 2011 at 9:18 pm - Reply

Mmmm… perfect way to dress up apples!

15. Lisa October 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm - Reply

I'm thinking these will alleviate your hubby's grumpiness – ar least temporarily! 😉 I can't stop staring at the puddles of setting chocolate on top of the caramel. Wow!

16. teresa October 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm - Reply

oh i don't see how these could look any more delicious! YUMMY!

17. vanillasugarblog October 10, 2011 at 11:33 pm - Reply

Shel these look so good honey.
    Nice job, really.

18. Trisha October 11, 2011 at 3:34 am - Reply

Perfect treat for this time of the year!

19. Susie October 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm - Reply

I do love a good caramel apple! These look divine, now if I could get the temp here out of the 80's….

20. Karen October 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Saw these on erecipecards and had to come check them out…What gorgeous caramel apples! Love the decorations on them. Perfect for Halloween.

21. Cheap Ethnic Eatz October 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm - Reply

wow caramel coated apples plus chocolate. decadent. I am curious about that bread now too!

22. Carolyn October 13, 2011 at 10:29 am - Reply

Um, hello! Could you have picked a yummier recipe for the SRC?

23. Deeba PAB October 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm - Reply

Sorry I'm late but happy to be here! YUM, these are really yum! I've never made caramel apples, leave alone dunked in chooclate. Must have been a real treat! What a wonderful pick for the SRC and for the season too.

24. Desi October 18, 2011 at 5:59 pm - Reply