I am normally not a procrastinator.  Especially when it comes to my work life.  When I am on the job and someone gives me something they want me to do I normally get it on my list and do it ASAP.  When I am home it is easier to procrastinate more when it comes to doing something for me.

Today is reveal day for Group A (Amanda’s group) of the Secret Recipe Club.  I was assigned Mimi’s Blog titled Cookin’ Mimi.  Mimi likes to cook simply and her blog purpose is to show you that you can cook that way without some of those hard to obtain ingredients!

I had decided that since she had a breakfast label, I was going to find something that I could make for breakfast one weekend.  The puff pancake sounded like a great idea because we love to have pancakes on the weekend.  The weeks went by and we just weren’t home often enough or at the same time to have this as soon as I hoped.  Then, the last weekend before reveal day came and I was yet again alone!  I decided to go ahead and reduce the recipe for just one and make it just for me as a special brunch treat.  I love the concept and want to try it again using the full recipe and bigger baking dish!

I made some apples that had been coated in a brown sugar caramel type sauce.  With fall here I am thinking about foods like apples and pumpkins and squashes (winter).  The pancake was really good!  I was worried after it was in the oven for a bit and it wasn’t seeming to “puff”.  I had put it in a deep ceramic bowl and thought maybe I had made a mistake because I adjusted the ingredients a little differently than Mimi had as far as portion amounts.  But after my 30 minutes it had puffed up as tall as the bowl I had put it in.  I was happy.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Caramelized Apple Cinnamon Puff Pancake
adapted from Cookin’ MimiPrintable Recipe
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk

1 egg
1/2 cup flour
dash of salt
1 splash vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon melted butter
1 apple, sliced -one with red skin is nice – if you leave it on you have some red color ๐Ÿ™‚
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar

dash or 2 of cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk all ingredients together.  Set aside.
Heat sugar and butter in a heavy skilled until melted and smooth.  Do this over a medium heat as if you do it over a high heat it will crystallize (I know, believe me).  Once the butter and sugar has become sauce like, place the apples in the sauce and toss to coat and cook for about 30 seconds.
Pour pancake batter into ceramic bowl sprayed with cooking spray.  Top with a few apples, leaving a few set aside to add to the pancake when ready to serve.
Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove from pan and serve with remaining apple slices.  Serve with a side of maple syrup if desired for added sweetness.

1. Lesa @Edesia's Notebook September 12, 2011 at 11:34 am - Reply

It's so pretty! And sounds delicious. Great job, Shelby!

2. Fallon September 12, 2011 at 11:58 am - Reply

OH YUM!! I apples with puffed pancakes. This looks so good!! I miss the SRC :(. Hopefully once I'm back home and situated I'll be able to participate again.

3. Katherine Martinelli September 12, 2011 at 12:13 pm - Reply

This looks so good! Almost like a Dutch pancake. I'm glad you decided to treat yourself to a special brunch anyway ๐Ÿ™‚ I love doing things like that sometimes!

4. Micha @ Cookin' Mimi September 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm - Reply

I'm so glad your pancake turned out well. I just happen to be making these for dinner tonight and I think I might try your apple topping.

5. Melissa @IWasBornToCook September 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm - Reply

The perfect treat! Love it.

6. Inspired by eRecipeCards September 12, 2011 at 2:58 pm - Reply

What a beautiful presentation. Love the idea of single serving sizes for most things. More elegant, but also great for portion control.

You did your bloggin buddy proud!

Dave

7. Spogden September 12, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Oh my, can you come make these at my house tomorrow morning? Apples look amazing!! Would this work well with other fruits too, like raspberries or apricots?

8. teresa September 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm - Reply

oh my goodness, my mouth is just watering! what a fantastic treat, i love it!

9. Camilla September 12, 2011 at 9:37 pm - Reply

I will definitely be trying this! Thanks for sharing with the SRC. Lovely. ~Camilla, Culinary Adventures with Camilla

10. RJ Flamingo September 13, 2011 at 12:16 am - Reply

Shelby, this looks positively scrumptious! Thinking it might be breakfast tomorrow. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Lisa~~ September 13, 2011 at 12:44 am - Reply

We love puff pancakes and yours looks wonderful.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

12. honeyb September 13, 2011 at 1:02 am - Reply

What a fun idea to make an individual one! Looks like a perfect breakfast for one! (Way to get it done!)

13. Sara September 13, 2011 at 4:18 am - Reply

So pretty! This dessert is lovely and looks really delicious. ๐Ÿ™‚

14. Kathleen September 13, 2011 at 5:33 am - Reply

This not only looks delicious is adorable to boot!!!

15. emily jane September 13, 2011 at 6:13 am - Reply

This looks amazing! Definitely going on my bookmark list ๐Ÿ™‚

16. Fahad Khan September 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Now I feel like eating pancakes!I love them – light,sweet and warm,drizzled with maple syrup,they are a soul-satisfying experience!Thank you for sharing this recipe.:-)
    Sounds promising,tweeting it to my twitter followers as well!

17. Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking September 13, 2011 at 2:13 pm - Reply

So beautifully puffed and looks so delicious! Drooling…

18. The Double Dipped Life September 13, 2011 at 2:40 pm - Reply

I love that you made individual portions! I usually make one big one and have leftovers. Thanks for the great idea!

19. Deeba PAB September 14, 2011 at 1:39 am - Reply

What a great great pick, and ow very charming. I love that they puffed up so beautifully and that the filling possibilities seem endless. Apples and caramel seem so right for fall! Very YUM!!

20. Cathy at Wives with Knives September 14, 2011 at 1:42 pm - Reply

Being able to make a single serving is perfect for me! What a great breakfast treat on a Sunday morning. The newspaper, a cup of coffee and this puff pancake will really start the day off right. Yummy photos!

21. Barbara Bakes September 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm - Reply

What a fun breakfast. I love watching things puff in the oven. Great idea to add the carmelized apples.

22. Inspired by eRecipeCards September 14, 2011 at 3:40 pm - Reply

Such a pretty post! I saw this recipe before and you did a spot on repeat!

You done your friend proud!

Dave

23. Erin September 15, 2011 at 12:26 am - Reply

Oh this looks wonderful! So glad you made it for just one! What a great pick for this time of year and SRC!

24. Angela FRS September 15, 2011 at 2:00 pm - Reply

Soooo pretty! This would be such a great brunch recipe.

25. Elle September 15, 2011 at 3:16 pm - Reply

I've always wanted to make puff pancakes! Would love this one with the apples.

26. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme September 15, 2011 at 6:49 pm - Reply

Great choice for SRC, Shelby! Actually, great choice for any time. Yum!

27. Lisa September 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm - Reply

That is the puffiest 'puff pancake' I have ever seen, hands down, and the caramelized cinnamon apples are the piece de resisrance. I've made these before, but they've never maintained a puff like that. I have a feeling this is going to be my 'go to' recipe from now on ๐Ÿ™‚ It's beautiful!

28. Curt September 17, 2011 at 1:01 pm - Reply

This is absolutely delicious looking. I love cooked apples.

29. sweetpeaskitchen.com September 20, 2011 at 1:05 am - Reply