Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls
First Published: November 14, 2010… Last Updated: July 30, 2019

Pumpkin Spice CInnamon Rolls are soft and tender buns with pumpkin puree in the roll dough. A sweet brown sugar mixture is spiced with pumpkin pie spice and rolled up with raisins inside. A baked fall treat drizzled with a rum icing made with confectioners sugar and rum. I love this recipe and will make it every fall!

Whether you’re looking for something to enjoy at brunch with your family, or an afternoon treat to enjoy with a hot cup of coffee or tea, these Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls will be sure to please! This recipe makes very large, soft and tender rolls that are full of pumpkin flavor.

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls

Why I made Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls

I love pumpkin! Because of this, when I knew I had a friend coming to visit for the weekend, I wanted to have something special for her. I had had a Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll recently and decided it was the perfect time to try making them myself.

The very first time I made this recipe, I made a vegan version. The last time I made this recipe, I used an egg and real butter. Both versions were absolutely delicious. As a matter of fact, it was the vegan version that made me fall in love with the recipe and had me making it often!

Because we don’t necessarily eat vegan all the time, I decided to try this recipe with an egg instead of the flax egg. I found that the rolls were super puffy this last time, but other than that, I could not tell the difference between the two.

Overhead view of Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Icing Drizzle

Tips for making this recipe

• Make sure your yeast is fresh. I’m pretty sure that is why my roll dough was so much nicer this last time.
  • If you are unsure if your yeast good to use, add a little bit of sugar to your yeast after it has dissolved in the warm water. If it foams and bubbles up, it is active and ok to use.
  • 1 tablespoon of flax meal and 6 tablespoons of water is equal to 1 egg. You can use either for this recipe.
  • Make sure your roll dough has proofed long enough and is doubled in size before baking.
  • Feel free to make your own favorite icing. I will sometimes make a cream cheese icing instead of the rum flavored confectioners sugar one.
Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls

Step by Step Visual Guide for making Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Prepare the yeast per instructions. Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another bowl. Then, add the yeast and pumpkin mixture to the kitchenaid mixer with a dough hook attachment.

wet mixture for pumpkin dough

Gradually add the flour mixture, 1 cup flour at a time, to the pumpkin mixture. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl to be sure all ingredients are incorporated.

Dough mixing in the Kitchenaid

Once dough mixture is smooth, turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few times.

pumpkin roll dough ready to place in a bowl to rise

Place in a well greased bowl and set aside to rise until dough rises to double its size.

dough after proofing and is doubled in size

While the dough is rising, mix together the walnuts, raisins, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Set aside until ready to fill the roll dough.

When the has doubled in size, remove from bowl and roll out to size.

Spread softened butter over the pumpkin cinnamon roll dough. Then, sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon, walnut, raisin mixture.

Cinnamon Sugar Mixture for filling spread on top of dough

Roll the dough lengthwise, then cut into 12 equal sized bun sized pieces. I always use my secret roll cutting device. Dental floss!

Dough has been rolled lengthwise and is now ready to slice

As you cut the buns, place them in a baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover, and let rise for 30 minutes or until almost doubled in size.

Bake the rolls in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes. Drizzle icing on top if desired.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll on a plate with an orange and green napkin next to it

Other Pumpkin Recipes you may like

*If you made this recipe, please give it a star rating!*

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls
Yield: 12

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls

Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes

Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls are tender, delicious, and full of pumpkin flavor!

Ingredients

For the Roll Dough:

• 1 package package fast-acting active dry yeast
  • 1-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 2/3 cup warmed milk (120 degrees)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon ground flax meal plus 6 Tbsp water OR 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree

For the Filling:

• 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
  • 1/4 cup raisins, optional
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over top of warm water. Let dissolve. Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar over yeast and let sit for 1-2 minutes. The yeast should bubble and foam. If it does not, it is not active and should not be used.
  3. In a large bowl, white whole wheat flour flour, 1 cup of all purpose flour, pumpkin pie spice, sugar, and salt together.
  4. In separate bowl, mix pumpkin puree, butter, almond milk and flaxseed meal mixture together. Or, use 1 large egg.
  5. Pour wet ingredients into kitchenaid mixer along with activated yeast. Turn on mixer and combine yeast and pumpkin mixture.
  6. Gradually add the flour mixture to the kitchenaid, one cup at a time, mixing and scraping down the sides in between addition of flour.
  7. Turn out onto counter coated with some of the remaining flour. Knead the remaining flour into the dough until it is used up and you have a smooth, elastic dough.
  8. Put dough into a bowl coated with cooking spray and lightly spray the top of the dough.
  9. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise. Let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
  10. Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, chopped walnuts and raisins in a small bowl, set aside.
  11. Transfer the risen dough to a work surface, and pat or roll it into a 16″ x 12″ rectangle. Spread softened butter over dough and then sprinkle with the sugar mixture.Roll the dough into a log the long way.
  12. Next, using what I call my “dental floss trick”, cut the rolls into even slices (I got 9 rolls). The dental floss trick uses a long string of unwaxed, unflavored dental floss. You slide it under the roll dough and bring it up and across like you are going to start to tie a shoe. Then you pull each side to slice the roll dough.
  13. Place slices in a greased 8 inch square baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap (not tightly) and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
  14. Bake for 30-40 minutes until they turn golden brown across the center.Remove from oven and let cool about 15 minutes.
  15. Drizzle with your favorite confectioners frosting. I used Rum frosting I put on my Banana fosters Snack Cake.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Serving Size

Amount Per Serving Calories 247Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 18mgSodium 218mgCarbohydrates 39gFiber 3gSugar 12gProtein 6g

Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy, but will vary depending on the specific brands of ingredients you use. Please consult with your doctor regarding specific health needs.

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. ajcabuang04 November 14, 2010 at 9:38 pm - Reply

Yum!! Looks sooo good! A great fall twist to cinnamon rolls. I can smell them now. hehe

2. bellini valli November 14, 2010 at 9:53 pm - Reply

I love the concept Shelby. It just seems so homey and comforting..especially topped with icing.

3. Mags @ the Other Side of 50 November 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm - Reply

I keep seeing recipes for pumpkin cinnamon rolls. I really need to try them. Yours look delicious!

4. moderncomfortfood November 15, 2010 at 12:39 am - Reply

I've been a big fan of cinnamon buns ever since I used to "help" (as in, "get in the way of") my grandmother when she made the non-vegan version of these when I was growing up. And yours look just wonderful, Shelby! The additions of almond milk and flax seed must add to the flavor here and be healthier to boot. Yum!

5. vanillasugar November 15, 2010 at 12:45 am - Reply

Mmm that middle part of the buns are always the best part. I have been staying away from carbs, so this is something that I would devour in 2 bites.

6. Fallon November 15, 2010 at 12:54 am - Reply

Oh yum save a bun for me 😉 These look SO MOIST!!

7. Coleen's Recipes November 15, 2010 at 8:38 am - Reply

Scrumptious!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Shelby November 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Thanks everyone! Dawn, I love the middle and the edges lol. Especially when they are all crystalized with brown sugar. 😉

9. Barbara Bakes November 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm - Reply

So nice to have you back! These look fabulous!

10. pigpigscorner November 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm - Reply

A fall cinnamon bun! Great flavours!

11. teresa November 15, 2010 at 5:15 pm - Reply

i'm always so amazed with all the things you can do with pumpkin, these look awesome!

12. Cajun Chef Ryan November 15, 2010 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Shelby,
    First, welcome back! So nice to have you back and blogging and sharing again!
    Second, I would like two dozen of these ready for breakfast tomorrow okay! Thanks!
    Just kidding!
    These cinnamon buns are wonderful!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

13. Cheryl November 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm - Reply

Man that looks good, I love the way you have made it healthier. WE love Flaxseeds!

14. Leslie November 16, 2010 at 1:46 am - Reply

I have sooooo been wanting cinnamon rolls lately! Thanks for teasing me!

15. Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog November 16, 2010 at 4:27 am - Reply

These rolls Shelby are scrumptious ideal for a cold day needing sugar 🙂

Cheers,

Gera

16. Cookin' Canuck November 16, 2010 at 4:39 am - Reply

Oh my! What a perfect breakfast treat for the Thanksgiving weekend.

17. Noelle November 16, 2010 at 5:05 am - Reply

I am so glad you loved these. I like your pictures. I feel like I need to make these again! 😀

18. JuneBug November 16, 2010 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Oh those look ah-mazing! Glad you're settling in well in Albany and obviously your kitchen is humming along!

19. vivisue November 16, 2010 at 1:20 pm - Reply

What's not to love about every single thing in these rolls? NOTHING! Wow! I can almost smell them now. My wishful thinking is going to turn in to baking shortly when I have to make these! YUM!!!

20. Megan November 16, 2010 at 4:09 pm - Reply

These sound sooo good and I bet the house smelled awesome too.

21. Debbie November 17, 2010 at 3:32 am - Reply

I'm only going to say YUM! I want some.

22. Kristin November 17, 2010 at 4:21 pm - Reply

I just made a batch last night. They really are quite delicious, and so simple to make! My boyfriend was skeptical of any cinnamon roll not from Cinnabon, but he even agreed that they are awesome. No, they didn't come out chewy and doughy like Cinnabon, but I don't regret not being to replicate something so over-processed and unhealthy.
    My only not-positive remark is that the dough was a little tough. But I think that had something to do with my rising time…
    Either way, this is going into my recipe book! Do try these!

23. Kita November 30, 2010 at 2:29 pm - Reply

This looks amazing. I would have to be slick and not mention the word pumpkin before making my BF try it but Im sure he would love it if he did!

24. Julie Bird October 9, 2012 at 12:53 am - Reply

I was wondering if you left a flour measurement out of the list of ingredients. It says 1 1/4 c whole wheat white flour but doesn't say anything about all-purpose. Just wondering if I missed something. Thanks! So anxious to try these!

25. honeyb October 9, 2012 at 1:09 am - Reply

Yes! I did! Thank you for letting me know. I reformatted the recipe and must have overlooked the flour. I will definitely fix this now! Should be 2 cups white flour (approximately)

26. debbie ellis October 15, 2012 at 12:29 am - Reply

i love cinnamon rolls and i love pumpkin. i bet these are amazing. cant wait to try them!

27. Johanna GGG October 18, 2012 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Great recipe! Made an adaption of these and loved them – very pleased to find a healthier version of the recipe – http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/pumpkin-spice-scrolls.html

28. L.K.R.H. October 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Rats. Just lost what I tried to post. Here we go again: I would like to print off the recipe to make these today, but I can't figure out how. There isn't a print button, and I can't cut and paste on this site. Is there a trick? I'd rather not try to cook while looking off a screen. These buns look so good!

29. Anonymous February 26, 2013 at 2:12 am - Reply

Approx how much yeast? I dont do packages I get fresh in a bag. 🙂 I HAVE to make these lolol

30. Ellen H. December 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm - Reply

These are incredible!! My new favorite cinnamon rolls! I used egg instead of flax and was worried when they didn't rise as I thought they should. However, they baked up nicely and tasted soooo good!!

31. Ellen H. December 31, 2013 at 4:26 pm - Reply

These are AMAZING!!! Used egg instead of flax, and they didn't rise much, but baked up nicely. Total YUM!! New favorite cinnamon rolls.

32. […] most favorite pumpkin recipe of all time are these Pumpkin Spice Cinnamon Rolls. One of my biggest weaknesses is a cinnamon roll. Especially warm, straight from the oven, with a […]

33. Anonymous October 6, 2019 at 9:53 am - Reply