Let me start by saying….Cristine & Fallon are my kinda girls.  🙂  They are both breakfast girls and both oatmeal girls!  Whenever I want to know what to make for breakfast I can always go to their sites and find something yummy.  While I am not a BIG breakfast person (I really, really am not big on eggs and prefer tofu!), I am big on cooked cereal and muffins, scones, rolls…. 🙂
In one of the Jan/Feb issue of Cooking Light magazine I came across this recipe for Banana, Wheat Germ, and Oats recipe.  I am always thinking of ways to get the most nutrition in our food and lately Grumpy has been doing the same 🙂  I love that there is wheat germ in the recipe – packing this full of Vitamin E. While I offered to make Grumpy cereal this morning, he opted out, so I had to adjust the recipe for one.

I know it looks like a lot of sugar but it’s just the one tablespoon!
The heat from the oatmeal melted the sugar and made it look like a lot more than it was!
Oatmeal for One (Power packed)
Recipe from Cooking Light adapted for 1 person
1 cup water
1/2 cup whole oats
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
dash salt
1/2 banana
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Cook the 1st four ingredients until thickened.  Pour into bowl.  Top first with butter, second with sugar and last with bananas.  Enjoy!
For some more oatmeal recipes click the link to Cristine and Fallon’s site!

1. pegasuslegend March 21, 2010 at 3:14 pm - Reply

wow this looks awesome and so healthy especially for me right now, I really need to get on track thanks appreciate this!

2. Flourchild March 21, 2010 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I have oatmeal every day for breakfast..I know borring huh! But..I add the best stuff to my oatmeal! My fav. is slivered almonds, Flax sees, blueberries and milk!
    This oatmeal looks like something I would gobble u pin 2 seconds flat!
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day!

3. Bellini Valli March 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm - Reply

All the years I was growing up I had porridge for breakfast…but always cooked the same way. This would be delish.

4. Parita March 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Delicious and healthy breakfast!

5. Rachel March 21, 2010 at 5:01 pm - Reply

A kind of breakfast I could do with!

6. dawn March 21, 2010 at 8:53 pm - Reply

i would be snacking all if i didn't have my bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon, wheat germ, and almond butter. it holds me well until 2pm.

7. Linda March 21, 2010 at 10:03 pm - Reply

I love oatmeal and this looks soooo good. It is a good way to jumpstart the day.
    I have been in a bit of a slump myself lately. I have been extremely busy at work and don't want to so spend time at the computer. I'll get over it now that the weather is turning nicer and be back to posting soon. Hoep all is well!

8. Fallon March 22, 2010 at 12:52 am - Reply

Love when the sugar melts on top of the oatmeal like that! I like it better that way then when I mix it in the oatmeal and you can't taste it!

I actually have raw wheat germ that I could toast. I usually use flaxseed meal but the wheat germ would be a nice change!

9. Megan March 22, 2010 at 1:35 am - Reply

I'm an oatmeal kind of girl and this sounds delicious and nutritious. This would last ya till lunch!

10. Lynda March 22, 2010 at 2:05 am - Reply

This is my kind of breakfast! I'm loving this. 🙂

11. Diana's Cocina March 22, 2010 at 3:53 am - Reply

Now this is somethng I can eat twice a day. YUM!

12. A Canadian Foodie March 22, 2010 at 3:53 am - Reply

Oatmeal and brown sugar. Is there any other way to eat it? There should be, but I recall my entire winter childhood with a spoon stuck in this and the oatmeal sticking to my ribs. YUM. Great idea.
    Valerie

13. Barbara Bakes March 22, 2010 at 11:40 am - Reply

I'm going to have to try this. It looks irresistible with the brown sugar melting on top.

14. Cajun Chef Ryan March 22, 2010 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Oatmeal is so good, full of nutrients and fiber, I need to eat more oatmeal.

15. Miranda March 22, 2010 at 1:03 pm - Reply

I seen this in Cooking Light Mag! I really want to make this!!!!

16. Cristine March 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm - Reply

Now that looks INCREDIBLY delicious! Mmmmmmmm!!!! Can't wait to try it!

17. teresa March 22, 2010 at 3:50 pm - Reply

i feel stronger and healthier just looking at it, how yummy!

18. Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog March 22, 2010 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Power for the week in a healthy way, you can't beat that oatmeal recipe 🙂

Have a great week,

Gera

19. Bob March 22, 2010 at 8:47 pm - Reply

I love oatmeal but almost never eat it. I'm not sure why. I'll have to try this!

20. Leslie March 23, 2010 at 1:34 am - Reply

I am an Oatmeal over!!! I love my steel cut oats. And I also LOVE LOVE LOVE wheat germ..I always put it on my yogurt!

21. Kathleen March 23, 2010 at 6:30 am - Reply

Shelby this sounds like the perfect way to start the day!

22. Maria April 27, 2011 at 1:54 pm - Reply

My kind of breakfast!

23. Megan May 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm - Reply

Looks like I just found breakfast!