NaansliceHB

I’ve had some butternut squash staring at me for a while and while I wanted to eat it, I wanted to eat it in a way I hadn’t before. Ever since I made “THE Galette” I have craved butternut squash with heat. The heat with the sweet of the squash is just irresistible to me!

I’ve seen recipes for pizza using butternut squash but I had a different idea. An Indian style type of pizza. In my mind anyway. I love Naan. I love squash. I love curry. This would make a great appetizer pizza!

NaansHB

I took out my Made with Love Garden Curry Spice Blend and started to throw the dish together. The measurements are “guesstimates” and are put here as a guide. I only put together one pizza last night (Grumpy wasn’t home and wouldn’t eat it anyway!). I believe there is more than enough squash for 2 pizzas but its yummy on its own too!

Curried Butternut Squash Naan Pizza
from HoneyB’s Kitchen

1 small butternut squash, diced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Made with Love Garden Curry Spice Blend
2 naan bread (I buy mine at Super Wal-mart. Haven’t perfected making it myself yet)
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
pinch (or 2) of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Havarti Cheese, shredded or broken off into pieces (not super easy to shred as it is a softer cheese)

Mix squash oil and curry spice blend and roast at 400 degrees until tender. While squash is roasting, caramelize onions with butter. Add sugar and spice at end of their cooking.

Sprinkle on Naan bread a small amount of cheese. Top with onions, squash and remaining cheese. Bake 12 minutes (400 degree oven) or until cheese is melted and crust starts to brown. slightly.

Other recipes I’ve made using butternut squash:

Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Pasta

Butternut Squash Lasagna

Butternut Squash Soup

Mini Butternut Squash Bundt Cakes with Brown Sugar Icing

Butternut Squash Rolls

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette

Pasta with Butternut Squash and Brown Butter Sauce

1. Laura November 23, 2009 at 8:36 pm - Reply

As soon as I saw this come up on Facebook I had to zoom over! Talk about a lot of my favorite flavors all in one spot!

2. Mags November 23, 2009 at 8:46 pm - Reply

Oh my…what a great combination of flavors. I love heat with butternut squash too.

3. Flourchild November 23, 2009 at 9:03 pm - Reply

This looks so tasty and sounds great!

4. Marthe November 23, 2009 at 10:00 pm - Reply

This sounds like a dish I would love: butternut squash and naan! Yum!!

I just made and blogged about a Pumpkin Curry with Naan bread the other day that was delicious, although not very spicy… Next time I'll add a bit more spice to it!

5. Joanne November 24, 2009 at 12:05 am - Reply

This is a fabulous idea for a pizza! I've put butternut squash on a pizza before but with pesto. I really like the sound of it with the curry.

6. The Duo Dishes November 24, 2009 at 12:50 am - Reply

Guess a galette doesn't have to just be sweet! Looks really good and full of spice.

7. Robin Sue November 24, 2009 at 2:27 am - Reply

This is a tasty clever pizza, great idea! Thanks for the stumble today!

8. J.Danger November 24, 2009 at 5:31 am - Reply

how delicious does that picture look?!

9. Sharon November 24, 2009 at 5:45 am - Reply

This looks absolutely tasty & lovely!

10. Coleen's Recipes November 24, 2009 at 9:10 am - Reply

That first photo is a knock out!!! You have a GREAT idea here. I am so stuck with traditional pizza flavors I never would have thought of this, but I love it.

11. Jessie November 24, 2009 at 3:03 pm - Reply

this is one delicious looking pizza! I'm loving the caramelized onions and Havarti cheese!

12. The Hungry Mouse November 24, 2009 at 5:33 pm - Reply

What a great idea! I love squash with heat, too. Yum! (I usually toss chili flakes into my mashed squash…so good!)

Hope you and Grumpy have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

+Jessie

13. noble pig November 24, 2009 at 5:58 pm - Reply

How cool is this. I can honestly say I have never seen butternut used in this way.

14. teresa November 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm - Reply

mmmm, i love all the squash recipes floating around right now, this look irresistable!

15. Ivy November 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm - Reply

Indian style pizza sounds delicious.

16. CookiePie November 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm - Reply

I love love LOVE Indian food, and that looks amazing!!!

17. Kevin November 24, 2009 at 11:31 pm - Reply

What a great idea for a pizza!!!

18. Robin Sue November 25, 2009 at 1:42 pm - Reply

You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too!!

19. averagebetty November 25, 2009 at 5:28 pm - Reply

Happy Thanksgiving, Honey & Grumpy!

This pizza looks fab – great for the season and fun to snack on while watching Tgiving football!

20. Pam November 25, 2009 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Yum. What a beautiful and tasty pizza.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

21. Bellini Valli November 25, 2009 at 11:54 pm - Reply

This is unique Shelby and it uses two of my favouries butternut squash and dough of any kind:D Hugs

22. Lori November 26, 2009 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Hmmmm, sounds delicious. I made a butternut squash pizza, but I like the sounds of this better.

23. Katy ~ November 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm - Reply

This does sound so very very good. I'm really getting into squash this season and what a delicious way to kick it up.

24. Michelle @ Taste As You Go December 10, 2009 at 7:38 pm - Reply

This pizza looks delicious, Shelby! I've never thought to combine those flavors for a pizza before, so I can't wait to try this recipe out!

Also, a little tip for grating softer cheeses — put the cheese in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before you go and grate. Having the cheese super cold will make grating a lot easier. 🙂

25. Jason's BBQ Adventures December 14, 2009 at 3:38 am - Reply

Now, that is one interesting pizza!! Bet it was good, but you deserve the most original recipe of the year award for this one!

26. vanillasugar November 10, 2010 at 2:28 am - Reply

this is right up my alley Shel. hubby won't touch this, but man i can't get enough of it.

27. Mari September 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm - Reply

What a great pizza! The combination of squash, curry and cheese must be delicious. I add myself to Michelle, I can't wait to try it!

28. Inspired by eRecipeCards September 28, 2011 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I love pizza, this is such a great idea and new to me! Saving this idea!

29. Megan September 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm - Reply

I love butternut and this is a great way to serve it. Your slices are perfect!

30. […] squash are two of my favorite foods and when I came across a a recipe that combined them in a curried butternut squash naan pizza on The Life & Loves of Grumpy’s Honybunch I bookmarked it right away. The pizza was […]