Sunday was the strangest weather. We had sun, wind, rain and hail. I think the end of May was more like the beginning of March. To top it all off, we had a high of a whole 48 degrees!

To warm the house up I decided to bake a loaf of bread. I certainly wasn’t going to turn my furnace on! I wanted to use the bread machine to do all the kneading work so I went to allrecipes to find a bread machine recipe. I found one for Maple Whole Wheat Bread that sounded pretty good.

I did end up changing my flours up some. My experience with Whole Wheat has never been that great and the rise never seemed to be too good – so I decided to cut the whole wheat flour by 1/4 cup and add a 1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten flour. I also went with the white whole wheat because Grumpy may complain if I didn’t….and we can’t have him complaining! If I can say so myself, that bread turned out pretty awesome! Of course, you can take the word of my Daddy and my son (who I baked a loaf for yesterday and am delivering to him this afternoon!) as they both had some and said it was great. I think the recipe is great the way I made it and I will keep using this recipe from now on when I want wheat bread!

Maple Honey Whole Wheat Bread
adapted from allrecipes.com

2 -1/4 cups King Arthur white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup bread flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups warm water
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place maple syrup, water and olive oil in bread machine pan. Top with flours and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour and place the yeast in well. Set bread machine for dough setting.

My dough setting takes 1-1/2 hours. Once the beeper goes off remove the bread and shape into a loaf. Let rise until bread top just peaks over the top of the bread pan. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until bread sounds hollow when tapped and is nicely browned.

1. the ungourmet June 2, 2009 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Mmm! I can smell it from here! I love homemade bread. It look like it turned out moist, light and perfect.

Do you can jam?

2. ButterYum June 2, 2009 at 8:28 pm - Reply

I love using the bread machine to knead my bread! Not much better than freshly baked bread! Nice photos.

3. Mags June 2, 2009 at 9:05 pm - Reply

I’m such a sucker for bread recipes, and this one looks right up my alley with the whole wheat flour. I think I’ll use your recipe to make some hamburger buns tomorrow.

4. Frieda June 2, 2009 at 9:14 pm - Reply

Excellent! Nice change of pace to use maple syrup instead of honey…I’ll have to try that! I,too, prefer white wheat and use 2 T. of vital wheat gluten per 6 c. flour…it does help make a great loaf of bread! Your photos, as always, look scrumptious!

5. Helene June 2, 2009 at 9:25 pm - Reply

Your bread looks delicious. Goes well with your jam 🙂

6. Melody June 2, 2009 at 9:53 pm - Reply

This looks just like mom used to make. I have such good memories of coming home to fresh baked bread. There is nothing better! Great blog!

7. Mrs. L June 2, 2009 at 11:26 pm - Reply

There’s nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread…plus berry rhubarb jam? I think it’s a perfect combination!

8. Bunny June 3, 2009 at 12:09 am - Reply

it looks terrific Shelby, that’s calling my name smothered in a fruit jam!

9. gail June 3, 2009 at 1:39 am - Reply

WOW! This looks REALLY good. I love how perfectly you sliced the bread too! Wow!!

10. Lynda June 3, 2009 at 2:01 am - Reply

Nothing smells better than bread baking; I imagine the aroma with maple syrup is really amazing! This is perfect looking bread!

11. Carol Peterman June 3, 2009 at 4:24 am - Reply

Baking bread is far better than just turning on the furnace. You get to fill the house with the wonderful aroma and then have a delicious snack!

12. Happy cook June 3, 2009 at 7:39 am - Reply

Wow that bread looks huge.
    Wish i had few slices .
    Nothing beats the home made bread.

13. Pam June 3, 2009 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Why can't we be neighbors? This loaf looks absolutely perfect.

14. Patsyk June 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm - Reply

Looks like a perfect slice of bread for any type of sandwich! I wish I had a bread machine, too!

15. averagbetty June 3, 2009 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Nothing better than the smell or taste of homemade bread!

16. KAF Customer Service June 3, 2009 at 5:31 pm - Reply

Great going on the substitutions! Both Traditional and White Whole Wheat may be substituted freely, with great results. Frank @ KAF.

17. Katie June 3, 2009 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Looks great! I love homemade bread its so much better than from the store!

18. oneordinaryday June 3, 2009 at 10:15 pm - Reply

Weather's been weird in PA too. Nothing can make your day like fresh baked bread though.

19. TeaLady June 4, 2009 at 2:19 am - Reply

I love homemade bread and often use The Machine to do the hard work. I have found that just about any recipe will work if aall you are doing is kneading the dough. Have you been to Nancy's Bread site. Great breads there.

Come by my blog and find the bread recipe sites on the right.

20. Trish June 4, 2009 at 6:28 am - Reply

Hi, Can you advise me as to which bread machine you used? Brand as well as model number please?

21. Di June 6, 2009 at 3:19 pm - Reply

That's a really gorgeous loaf of bread!