Tuna Noodle Casserole

This Tuna Noodle Casserole is a super quick and easy casserole recipe that is made easy with cream of mushroom soup and canned tuna. It is one of Grumpy’s favorite meals. The addition of cooked mushrooms and peas add a taste of freshness to the casserole.

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Casseroles are great for weeknight dinners with busy families. And, if you can make it healthier for the family, that makes it even better! This Tuna Noodle Casserole goes great with a slice of Homemade Soft White Bread or these Quick and Easy Dinner Rolls.

One of Grumpy’s favorites: Tuna Noodle Casserole

Grumpy absolutely loves Tuna Noodle Casserole. I have never been a fan of it and that is why in all the time we have been together I have never made it for him! When he would get a craving for tuna casserole, I would buy the Tuna Helper and make it just for him while I would fix myself something else.

Last week, I asked Grumpy to help me decide our meals for the week. I really like to plan our meals since I have to work all day long. I had my Healthy Cooking Magazines in tow and looked through them, made suggestions, showed him the photos and we came up with a plan for the week that included a Tuna Noodle Casserole!

Unbaked casserole without the cracker topping

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links.

Tips and ingredients

Canned Solid White Tuna Fish: This is the only tuna fish I will buy. I recommend you purchase tuna packed in water rather than oil to keep this recipe lower fat.

Egg Noodles: Thin or wide, whatever your preference is.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

Almond milk is my choice of milk. I like it because it does not go bad quickly compared to regular milk. I always buy the unsweetened original flavor.

Mayonnaise: I use full-fat mayonnaise but feel free to cut the fat more and use reduced fat mayonnaise if that is your preference.

Mustard: This is the powdered dry version. If you don’t have this in your pantry, just use a teaspoon or two of yellow mustard.

Fresh Mushrooms: I recommend fresh mushrooms and cooking them before adding to the casserole. If you don’t cook them, they will release water while baking and make the casserole watery.

Frozen Peas

Seasoned Bread Crumbs (buy them or make your own)

9×13 Casserole Dish

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Make this Casserole Recipe your own

• Sub your favorite veggies for the mushrooms and peas. Frozen peas and carrots or mixed vegetables are popular.
  • Substitute the bread crumb topping for crushed saltine crackers, buttery round crackers, crushed potato chips, or french fried onions.
  • Sprinkle the top of the casserole with parmesan cheese
  • Substitute canned mushrooms and peas if that is what you have on hand.
  • Use canned chicken instead of canned tuna.

Other Casserole Recipes you may like

Family Favorite Casserole Recipes

Casseroles the whole family loves and that are quick and easy dinner solutions for busy families.

*If you made this Tuna Noodle Casserole, please give it a star rating*

For the Topping:

• 1/4 cup dry Italian flavored bread crumbs
  • 1 Tbsp salted butter, melted
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp pepper

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook the noodles according to package directions.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, mayonnaise, and mustard.
  4. Stir in the tuna, mushrooms and green peas.
  5. Drain the noodles and add them to the soup mixture. Stir until blended.
  6. Transfer to 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
  7. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over casserole.
  8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.

Nutrition Information

Yield

Amount Per Serving Calories 305Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 20mgSodium 470mgCarbohydrates 42gFiber 3gSugar 16gProtein 20g

Did you make this recipe?

Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram

1. Bob February 10, 2009 at 7:09 am - Reply

Heh, me and my girlfriend are the same way! She hates tuna casserole, but I love it. Even though I’m the one who cooks I never get it either! What’s up with that?

That looks wicked good though, I’ll have to make it for myself.

2. pigpigscorner February 10, 2009 at 9:35 am - Reply

This reminds me..I haven’t made this in a long time. I used to love this and make this every week. Yours looks really good!

3. recipes2share February 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm - Reply

I have never tried tuna casserole before, but this looks great and I think my kids would enjoy this too – thank you for the idea!

4. Tangled Noodle February 10, 2009 at 1:11 pm - Reply

I’m not a fan of tuna casserole either but this looks so creamy and delicious, it could change my mind!

5. ~Vanessa~ February 10, 2009 at 1:33 pm - Reply

I am the only one that likes Tuna Casserole in my house and it is time to treat myself! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

6. Barbara Bakes February 10, 2009 at 1:47 pm - Reply

I like the idea of using Panko crumbs. I haven’t made tuna casserole in a long time either. Maybe it’s time.

7. Laila February 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Looks absolutely delicious .. gonna try it soon .. Laila .. http://limeandlemon.wordpress.com/

8. Rachael February 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm - Reply

I love Tuna Casserole…but sadly no one else in my family does:(

That doesn’t stop me from making it on occasion though! I grew up eating it on Friday’s during Lent, so I think I have a sort of nostalgia for it as well! Your recipe looks delicious…especially with the roasted red peppers and the bread crumb topping.

My family just may like your recipe better…I will have to try it:-)

9. Spryte February 10, 2009 at 2:38 pm - Reply

I have to say, I’m not a big tuna casserole fan either. But that does look really delicious!

10. Meg February 10, 2009 at 3:14 pm - Reply

This looks so flavorful!

11. Sara February 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm - Reply

I love tuna, but I’ve never had tuna noodle casserole. This looks great though. Too bad my hubby isn’t a fan of tuna.

12. Snooky doodle February 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm - Reply

delicious!!! I ve never used tuna n a casserole. Nice idea though looks great

13. Creative One February 10, 2009 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Just the opposite with us. I love tuna casserole and Randy does not at all. We have been together for almost 17 years and I have never made it for myself, only have had some when it was made by other’s. It looks delicious. I am going to have to make this for myself.

14. Poodle February 10, 2009 at 5:45 pm - Reply

Yum. I grew up never eating casseroles because my mom hated them and, therefore, I love them because they’re so novel to me. My husband on the other hand hates them because his mom made them and he always ate them growing up.

I may try to make this one and see if it changes his mind … the lack of peas is definitely a plus (in his mind).

15. Teanna February 10, 2009 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Wow, I’ve never had tuna casserole, but I’d love to try that one!

16. Laura February 10, 2009 at 10:20 pm - Reply

I’ve never been a tuna noodle casserole fan either, although I have had one that uses curry powder bookmarked for forever to try. I will have to keep this one in mind should anyone beg me to make a more traditional tuna noodle casserole. 😉

17. Maria February 10, 2009 at 10:22 pm - Reply

Josh hates tuna so I never make it, but I am loving those cookies on your header!! YUM!

18. Debbie February 10, 2009 at 10:50 pm - Reply

I have not had tuna casserole in a long time. The one you made looks very good and worth trying again!!! I just made the M&M blondies you had a posted a few days ago. They were great and I am going to post mine on my blog…I will give you credit and link it back to you!! Thanks for a great recipe!!!

19. JyLnC February 10, 2009 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Years ago, when I was working at a high stress, long hours job, I made a Tuna casserole using Kraft Dinner Mac and Cheese, Campbell's mushroom soup, and peas. I served it with Doritos Nacho Chips and my two guys loved it. Go figure.

Today my version uses cooked chicken, soup, carrots, peas, and noodles. My husband likes it but not my son. It must be the tuna. :>)

20. Fit Chick February 10, 2009 at 11:09 pm - Reply

Reminds me of my childhood, yummy. We used crushed potato chips, but Panko sounds like a great substitute.

21. Kevin February 11, 2009 at 3:05 am - Reply

I like the sound of a tuna casserole and it looks really good!

22. Elyse February 11, 2009 at 3:10 am - Reply

You know, I am not a tuna-casserole kind of girl, but your dish look soooo good, that I may just have to try it!

23. Bunny February 11, 2009 at 3:32 am - Reply

This is great , a true comfort food!

24. Pam February 11, 2009 at 3:01 pm - Reply

How did I miss this yesterday? It takes me back to my childhood – I haven’t had tuna casserole in years. Looks fantastic Shelby.

25. Robin Sue February 11, 2009 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Do you know what is funny? I love everyone elses’ tuna casseroles but when I make it it turns out gross. Why is that? I will have to try your recipe for sure. Maybe we will like THIS one.

26. WiseAcre February 11, 2009 at 3:47 pm - Reply

I’ve always called it Tuna Noodle Surprise. The surprise comes from me cooking. I use cream of celery instead – mushrooms are not part of my diet.

It’s been a long time since we last had some so tonight I might just surprise my daughter who’s visiting.

27. Anonymous October 8, 2019 at 8:33 am - Reply

28. […] Light and Hearty Tuna Casserole is a lighter version of this old fashioned casserole dish. One of hubby’s favorites! […]

29. […] only seen one post on here involving tuna – and that one post was only because Grumpy wanted Tuna Noodle Casserole.  I’m not sure what it is about it that makes it not my favorite.  IF I eat a tuna […]